Help - MSN/Qwest DSL w/Linksys BEFSR41 Router Issues

Help - MSN/Qwest DSL w/Linksys BEFSR41 Router Issues

Post by N. D » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:18:09

I'm a new MSN/Qwest customer, and I'm trying to get my network PC's to communicate through my Arescom NetDSL 800 Modem (supplied by MSN/Qwest) and my Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Hub/Router. Does anyone have this configuration working? I need configuration help. Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Nate*erson

Post by Brian Sullivan -MV » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:29:06

I'm a new MSN/Qwest customer, and I'm trying to get my network PC's to
communicate through my Arescom NetDSL 800 Modem (supplied by MSN/Qwest) and
my Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Hub/Router.
------------

What form of communication do you want to use? Are you referring to the use
of Msn/Windows Messenger?

 Does anyone have this configuration working? I need configuration help. Is
it even possible?
----------------

Again you might elaborate on what you want to work, what doesn't work.

Help - MSN/Qwest DSL w/Linksys BEFSR41 Router Issues

Post by John Eddy [MS » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:44:54

Nate,

I followed the steps at http://www.veryComputer.com/,1403560
~root=msnetwork~mode=flat and got my SMC Barricade working perfectly.  (The
steps are for the Linksys, but work on the SMC just fine too).

John Eddy

--
Exchange Communities PM
Note: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Help - MSN/Qwest DSL w/Linksys BEFSR41 Router Issues

Post by Jim » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:34:18

Maybe?  Maybe not.  A quote from the arescom site regarding your modem and MSN's restrictive service.

[quote]
(Question) Can I share a DSL line with two or more computers using a simple hub?

Answer: At his time, the MSN internet service is designed to connect a single computer to the internet.

[/quote]

There may(?) be work-a-rounds available at DSLR but they are not guaranteed (they work for some and not for others) and definitely NOT supported by MSN.
-Jim-
With MSN, failure is not an option.
It comes bundled with the service.

  I'm a new MSN/Qwest customer, and I'm trying to get my network PC's to communicate through my Arescom NetDSL 800 Modem (supplied by MSN/Qwest) and my Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Hub/Router. Does anyone have this configuration working? I need configuration help. Is it even possible?

  Thanks in advance,

  Nate*erson

1. MSN Probs sortred with Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

Hi Guys

After having trouble sending and receiving files with MSn 4.7 and 5, I
decided to take my router out of the equation and connect my machine
direct to the NTL STB, and it worked fine, so we knew then it was the
router that was wrongly configured.

Okay I contacted Linksys live chat and they remotely managed my
machine and checked the settings of the router and they said for MSN
to work properly, you need to have the UPnP Services DISABLED not
ENABLED in the Password Section of the Router software (the one you
get into typing 192.168.1.1) as all the other people say.

Since i have changed that, I have been able to have video convos,
sending and receiving files are great.  So try it and see if it works.

Catherine

2. keyboard probs with netscape browser [solution]

3. MSN for XP behind a Linksys DSL/Router

4. Sarah Palin Swimsuit in 1984 Miss Alaska Pageant

5. Linksys BEFSR41 Router Telnet

6. Weird stuff????

7. Help! Arescom 860, Linksys Cable/DSL Router

8. Tape Drive installation

9. Linksys ETHERFAST 4-PORT CABLE/DSL ROUTER/

10. LinkSys 4-port Cable/DSL Router NR041 vs CheckPoint SecuRemote

11. Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router

12. Qwest>MSN DSL redux