Parental controls

Post by bobsil » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:11:27

I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Parental controls

Post by Jim » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:57:17

MSN Explorer has a kids and kidz levels of, what they claim are, controls.  Both have holes in them big enough to drive a tank through though.
-Jim-

  I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
  AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
  not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Parental controls

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:51:02

Bob,

MSN Explorer (which is the default internet browser for MSN) offers
excellent parental controls and sites dedicated for Kids. Microsoft has also
released what is called a Kids Passport, which offers additional security
and can be used in conjunction with MSN.

http://kids.passport.com/

http://kids.msn.com/gateway.html

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

| I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
| AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
| not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Parental controls

Post by Ed_ » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:40:28

Why not download MSN Explorer and try them out before you make the switch.  That
way you can decide for yourself if they are up to your standards as a parent.
Two of my daughters use AOL as their ISP but both claim that MSN Explorer has
more content and the filters are just as good.  Two of my granddaughters prefer
MSN but the other (13yrs) says they both suck. (my words, not hers.  I guess
that the best filters are attentive parents.

Quote:

>I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
>AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
>not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Remove YOMAMAS to reply.

Parental controls

Post by ...winsto » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:21:56

Bob..I'm a long time user of both MSn(since day one) and occasional AOL....the majority of my friends with young children prefer the aol controls over the current msn explorer offering...Both have their advantages..aol is much easier to configure.  AOL and MSn Explorer's settings can be bypassed by a savvy * via a variety of methods..

If one restricts the kids to use just the aol or msn browser(personal monitoring on the parent may be required) then not much difference exists between the two..

It a toss up for either...choose which isp and software makes you happier.

..winston

I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Parental controls

Post by Paul Britto » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:34:17

Hello Ed,

   Unfortunately, as Parental Controls are still in beta, they are unavailable for test by non-subscribers.

Paul

> Why not download MSN Explorer and try them out before you make the switch.  That
> way you can decide for yourself if they are up to your standards as a parent.
> Two of my daughters use AOL as their ISP but both claim that MSN Explorer has
> more content and the filters are just as good.  Two of my granddaughters prefer
> MSN but the other (13yrs) says they both suck. (my words, not hers.  I guess
> that the best filters are attentive parents.

> >I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
> >AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
> >not what do they suggest/reccomend?

> Remove YOMAMAS to reply.

Parental controls

Post by Paul Britto » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:35:26

Hello Jim,

   I suspect by the language here that you have little experience with the MSN Explorer Parental Control beta, or Microsoft .NET Kids Passport?

   Please provide us information on these holes you have discovered.

Paul

  MSN Explorer has a kids and kidz levels of, what they claim are, controls.  Both have holes in them big enough to drive a tank through though.
  -Jim-

    I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
    AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
    not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Parental controls

Post by Paul Britto » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:33:47

Good Evening Bob,

   I'll try to hit a couple of points not made by others thus far.

   The short answer is yes.  The Microsoft Network is very attentive to feedback (even if it can't respond to each and every email), and one of the leading feedback requests was for Parental Controls!  MSN is making a very strong effort to work to satisfy that request.

   I wish you the best of luck, and if you have any further questions about MSN Internet Access, please feel free to ask them!

Paul

> I would like to switch my Internet service provider from
> AOL.  Does MSN have anything like Parental controls and if
> not what do they suggest/reccomend?

Parental controls

Post by Jim » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:23:46

Beta?  Bull    Every time msn fails at a task you guys come out with a would-be fix and call it by another name and say it's it beta.  In this very Ng, just last spring, you were on the spin and lie bandwagon when I installed MSN Explorer on 7 systems and had over a dozen people test for kids/kidz security (parental control).  I posted step-by-step, links and pictures showing how easy if is for kids to get to * content and you simply stuck your head in the sand and lied about the issue then - as you are doing now.
-Jim-

     Unfortunately, as Parental Controls are still in beta, they are unavailable for test by non-subscribers.

Parental controls

Post by Jim » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:24:12

See prior post  .  .  .
-Jim-

     I suspect by the language here that you have little experience with the MSN Explorer Parental Control beta, or Microsoft .NET Kids Passport??

Parental controls

Post by Paul Britto » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:04:12

Hello JimF,

   Your history clouds your vision up unfortunately.  The security in MSN Explorer 7.0 is not the same as the technology in the Parental Controls beta...which on another note, I understand has been fulfilled.  (meaning the beta quota has been filled)

Paul

  Beta?  Bull    Every time msn fails at a task you guys come out with a would-be fix and call it by another name and say it's it beta.  In this very Ng, just last spring, you were on the spin and lie bandwagon when I installed MSN Explorer on 7 systems and had over a dozen people test for kids/kidz security (parental control).  I posted step-by-step, links and pictures showing how easy if is for kids to get to * content and you simply stuck your head in the sand and lied about the issue then - as you are doing now.
  -Jim-

       Unfortunately, as Parental Controls are still in beta, they are unavailable for test by non-subscribers.

Parental controls

Post by Jim » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:33:02

I have not the slightest idea what this babble has to do with the point(s) made in my post.

YOU are the king of clouded vision - proof is in this post.
-Jim-

  "
     Your history clouds your vision up unfortunately.  The security in MSN Explorer 7.0 is not the same as the technology in the Parental Controls beta...which on another note, I understand has been fulfilled.  (meaning the beta quota has been filled)

1. I dont have any parental control options?!

Why is this? My system is a PAL system. I live in the UK. The only things I
have in the Settings option is clock, language, audio, video. auto off and
system info

where is the parental controls?

2. Novice questions

3. Parental Control

4. MikTeX 1.05 for Win32 on PowerPC-platform

5. Parental controls

6. SSH & user name

7. Parental Control Password

8. SPSS for Beginners

9. parental control

10. How Does the Parental Control WOrk?

11. Parental Control

12. XBOX Parental Control Master Code

13. I forgot my Xbox parental control password.