Pop-ups in Windows XP (home) using Messenger Service!

Pop-ups in Windows XP (home) using Messenger Service!

Post by Tom Hawbold » Thu, 29 May 2003 00:24:06

I hope that somebody can help me!  I keep getting these very
annoying pop-ups displayed using Messenger Service.  How do
I stop them?  I thank-you very much!!

Pop-ups in Windows XP (home) using Messenger Service!

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 29 May 2003 00:32:16

Greetings Tom,

What you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger
(which are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor
can Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these pop ups,  you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start,
then Run, enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
right-click and then choose Properties.  Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then
choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK.  Nothing in Windows or any
real third-party applications should be effected by this.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I hope that somebody can help me!  I keep getting these very
> annoying pop-ups displayed using Messenger Service.  How do
> I stop them?  I thank-you very much!!

1. pop-ups"messenger Service'

Greetings,

What you're seeing is the built-in Messenger service in NT/Windows 2000 and XP for sending
quick "pop up" messages across networks which spammers have just started to exploit -- this
is not MSN Messenger.  The best way to stop this from happening is to the Control Panel,
choose Administrative Tools (if you're using XP, you may have to click Classic View on the
left).  Double-click Services, and Scroll down to "Messenger", select it, right-click and
then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose disabled and then choose the 'Stop'
button.  After the service is stopped, click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

2. CFP: Int'l Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Systems

3. POP-UPS, LOSE OF CONNECTION, LOCK-UPS, MESSENGER

4. Question about data mining conference

5. Messenger service pop ups

6. Test

7. How do I stop the messenger pop-ups?

8. 3Com USR ISDN TA -- USB support

9. unwanted messenger pop-ups

10. Messenger Pop-Ups

11. pop-ups directly from Instant Messenger

12. Pop-ups from MSN Messenger?