Messenger Service

Post by John » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:06:04

I keep getting unsolicited messages from "Messenger
Service" saying
"Message from JANITA22W to 217.42.34.81 on 7/5/2003
11:47:18 AM"  Can you tell me how I can get rid of this
please?

Messenger Service

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:39:43

Greetings John,

What you're seeing is the built-in Messenger service in NT/Windows 2000 and XP for sending
quick "pop up" messages across networks which spammers are exploiting.  This is not Microsoft
(or even their network), nor can they can control it anymore then they can control the spam
arriving in your e-mail.  If you don't want these to come up again, you can stop this from
happening by going to the Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools (if you're using XP, you
may have to click Classic View on the left). Double-click Services, and Scroll down to
"Messenger", select it, right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose
disabled and then choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I keep getting unsolicited messages from "Messenger
> Service" saying
> "Message from JANITA22W to 217.42.34.81 on 7/5/2003
> 11:47:18 AM"  Can you tell me how I can get rid of this
> please?

Messenger Service

Post by John Marti » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:00:59

I read the reply to the message below by Jonathan Kay
from Microsoft and appreciate the timely response.  This
is the most annoying thing I have ever seen and it should
be your choice whether to receive it or not.  Thanks
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I keep getting unsolicited messages from "Messenger
>Service" saying
>"Message from JANITA22W to 217.42.34.81 on 7/5/2003
>11:47:18 AM"  Can you tell me how I can get rid of this
>please?
>.

1. MSN Messenger not connecting to Messenger Service

Since three days on my computer MSN messenger not
connecting to Messenger service. It suddenly stopped
working. I have been using MSN messenger for long time
with out any problems.Other Messengers like Yahoo and AOL
are working fine. Also Internet browser is working fine.
I changed my computer yesterday and then it worked for a
day and having same problem at home.
I see some pop up messages occassionly related to MSN
messenger even though my MSN messenger not connected.
Can some one help. I use comcast cable internet.

 MSN messenger works fine from my office computer.

2. Telephone dialing services

3. Messenger Service in Windows 2000 Prof.

4. I'll get my coat...

5. Messenger Service

6. Multifunction Centers

7. "messenger service" popups

8. unsigned short int

9. What is Messenger Service Pop up is a virus?

10. Pop-ups in Windows XP (home) using Messenger Service!

11. Messenger service popups

12. Unable to sign in to .Net Messenger Service