Windows Messenger & MSN Messenger 5

Post by Lola » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:08:30

I have Windows 98SE, and all the Windows products are up
to date.  After I downloaded the IE 6 and OE 6 I went and
downloaded the MSN Messenger and it was okay except that
in the OE window it says, under Tools, Windows Messenger -
when I am using MSN Messenger.  Is this the way it should
be?  Or do I have a Registry problem?
--Thank you for any help you can give.

Windows Messenger & MSN Messenger 5

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:22:14

Greetings Lola,

I think this is actually a bug, there's nothing wrong with your computer =).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I have Windows 98SE, and all the Windows products are up
> to date.  After I downloaded the IE 6 and OE 6 I went and
> downloaded the MSN Messenger and it was okay except that
> in the OE window it says, under Tools, Windows Messenger -
> when I am using MSN Messenger.  Is this the way it should
> be?  Or do I have a Registry problem?
> --Thank you for any help you can give.

1. Windows Messenger & MSN Messenger

Greetings Ray,

MSN Messenger 5 is a separate application, which has a few new features (UPnP enabled file
transfer, a newer GUI, new connectivity options, etc.), but nothing necessary if you haven't
been experiencing any problems.  As well, MSN Messenger 5 is missing some features of Windows
Messenger (Communications Services, Use Windows Color Scheme).  Unlike what you have heard --
this is not an upgrade.

You can remove Windows Messenger 4.7, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger
from working (or loading without problems).  You can just disable Windows Messenger 4.7, by
opening it up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this program when
Windows starts'.  This won't stop it from being loaded by some other application though.  As
well, you can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list
and click Next >.  This won't remove Windows Messenger, but it will let it stay out of your
way, and allow MSN Messenger 5 to work properly.

If you just want one Messenger installed on your PC however, you can always remove MSN
Messenger 5 by clicking Start, Control Panel and Add or Remove Programs.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

2. AIWoRC Conference/Exposition

3. Windows Messenger & MSN Messenger both running

4. Help -- Apple 12" mono monitor horizontal image colapse (ie blackout)

5. Cannot get voice and video to work between MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger

6. new Palm freeware/shareware site

7. MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger Problem?

8. New Poll

9. Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

10. are MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger incompatible?

11. MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger

12. Problems with msn messenger, windows messenger and msn explorer

13. Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger