Run-away dialer with MSN, IE5, and Win98SE

Run-away dialer with MSN, IE5, and Win98SE

Post by Brad Marshal » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

On all three of my computers, all different brands, the MSN dialer will
occasionally go into a run-away dialing frenzy after I attempt a normal
disconnect.  No matter how many times I hit the "cancel" button, a new
dialer pops up and begins dialing.

A Ctl-Alt-Del and a selection to "End Task" on MSN will, after a few trys,
stop this loop.

Any ideas about what is causing it?

Run-away dialer with MSN, IE5, and Win98SE

Post by Kuay Ti » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Brad,

This could be expected behavior, or a configuration you may or may not want to change. The attempt to dial may occur if you do not close Outlook Express and have it configured to automatically check for new messages, for example. Here are some KB articles that may help in finding the answer.

Internet Provider Sign-in Screen Appears with Winsock Program
Connection Manager Runs After Disconnecting from Internet

And one for a different circumstance that likely doesn't apply, but might be of interest.
Modem Attempts to Dial When Windows Starts

Tim

  On all three of my computers, all different brands, the MSN dialer will
  occasionally go into a run-away dialing frenzy after I attempt a normal
  disconnect.  No matter how many times I hit the "cancel" button, a new
  dialer pops up and begins dialing.

  A Ctl-Alt-Del and a selection to "End Task" on MSN will, after a few trys,
  stop this loop.

  Any ideas about what is causing it?

1. Running cmu-snmp snmptrapd on IBM AIX - runs away

Does anyone know why the snmptrapd from cmu-snmp would go into a solid
run under IBM AIX 3.2.5? I'm running the process as root and if I don't
put it into the background, it doesn't run away. I've yet to determine
if it actually receives traps in either case. Thanks in advance.

--

Dave Barker

2. How can I make an additional com port be recognized by my compauter?

3. MSN 6 Preview + Win98SE, weird problems...please help

4. minix on a Sparc using SoftPC

5. Installing MSN Messenger on Win98SE, getting error 1631????

6. How much is a CD ROM Writer in the USA?

7. Problems since upgrading to WIN98SE, MSN 5.0, & IE 5.0

8. 1] Theme change not publishing

9. MSN 5.3/OE5.0/IE5.0 config issue

10. MSN Dialer Problem

11. Can I bypass MSN dialer software?

12. Help MSN Dialer

13. MSN running on XP will run slower...