Cannot log in to msn/hotmail account

Post by Kymi » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:32:54

Hi,
Up untill about 8 days ago I had no problem accessing my
MSN homepage or reading my email via Hotmail by going to
MSN.com and logging into net passport from my secondary
PC.Now all I recieve is the cannot display page or no
server found.I have has an MSN account for 3 years on my
primary PC but not on second one.I still have had no
problems untill 8 days ago and now i cant access my
email.My passport is fine if I dont have a problem on my
primary PC for the last 3 years.So I should not have to
register for a new passport.It's been fine for a long
time and now nothing and I have tried nonstop.

Please any suggestions are greatly appreciated as long as
I can understand them.I'm not a beginner but assume I am.
Thank You in advance!
kymie

Cannot log in to msn/hotmail account

Post by kymi » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:09:24

Hi,
I really need help.At 30 yrs old and terminally ill my
computers are my lifeline to the outside world.(no chat
rooms.)Information and entertainment.Right now I am stuck
in bed with a laptop that I cannot access my primary
email among many many other problems concerning Outlook
Express.
I hate to share my desperation with the world but I need
help with at least this issue.I have others posted on 2
other newsgropus..Internet mail/IE6 Browser and MSN
Discussion,if anyone would/could help!!
Anything would be appreciated from deep within my heart!!
Any suggestions at all.
Thanks in advance!
Kymie

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,
>Up untill about 8 days ago I had no problem accessing my
>MSN homepage or reading my email via Hotmail by going to
>MSN.com and logging into net passport from my secondary
>PC.Now all I recieve is the cannot display page or no
>server found.I have has an MSN account for 3 years on my
>primary PC but not on second one.I still have had no
>problems untill 8 days ago and now i cant access my
>email.My passport is fine if I dont have a problem on my
>primary PC for the last 3 years.So I should not have to
>register for a new passport.It's been fine for a long
>time and now nothing and I have tried nonstop.

>Please any suggestions are greatly appreciated as long
as
>I can understand them.I'm not a beginner but assume I am.
>Thank You in advance!
>kymie
>.

Cannot log in to msn/hotmail account

Post by Kuay Ti » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:25:18

Hi Kymie,

I am saddened to hear of your condition. Why waste time? Use of another ISP that offers Internet standard (POP3) e-mail will put your Passport and Hotmail problems behind you. Not many of us has time for wild-goose chases caused by MSN updates, spoiled cookies, temporary Internet files difficulties and server problems.

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

  Hi,
  I really need help.At 30 yrs old and terminally ill my
  computers are my lifeline to the outside world.(no chat
  rooms.)Information and entertainment.Right now I am stuck
  in bed with a laptop that I cannot access my primary
  email among many many other problems concerning Outlook
  Express.
  I hate to share my desperation with the world but I need
  help with at least this issue.I have others posted on 2
  other newsgropus..Internet mail/IE6 Browser and MSN
  Discussion,if anyone would/could help!!
  Anything would be appreciated from deep within my heart!!
  Any suggestions at all.
  Thanks in advance!
  Kymie

Cannot log in to msn/hotmail account

Post by John Foul » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:59:32

restore ie defaults in internet options, also start--> run--> regsvr32
softpub.dll .  If necsassary down load ie6 sp1

> Hi,
> I really need help.At 30 yrs old and terminally ill my
> computers are my lifeline to the outside world.(no chat
> rooms.)Information and entertainment.Right now I am stuck
> in bed with a laptop that I cannot access my primary
> email among many many other problems concerning Outlook
> Express.
> I hate to share my desperation with the world but I need
> help with at least this issue.I have others posted on 2
> other newsgropus..Internet mail/IE6 Browser and MSN
> Discussion,if anyone would/could help!!
> Anything would be appreciated from deep within my heart!!
> Any suggestions at all.
> Thanks in advance!
> Kymie

Post by kymi » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 05:50:48

Tim,
Actually if you noticed my address(Bluefrog.com)I am
using a different ISP.It's local and partially
nationwide.MSN is horrible but for financial reasons it
was the most affordable option for my primary
computer.Since I am stuck in bed I am using my laptop via
a different ISP.I was able to login to my MSN accounts to
check email fine for months but the for slightly under 2
weeks I cannot login to my passport to simply view my
email.
I knew mentioning my condition was a mistake but I have
no one to help me and I do need to get into my MSN
accounts.
If I had my way I would rid of both ISP's and go to
Broadband.We dont all have the financial means and dial
up is the only option.Then again there are problems with
any service you use.
You obviously are one of the people that dont want
anything to do with Microsft..and I would have to
agree.Yes,I am wasting what time I have left trying to
solve problems to my only lifeline.
Actually on 2 other newsgroups I have posted other
problems I am desperately in need of help with....These
problems are all with my Bluefrog ISP and Outlook Express.
Kymie

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Kymie,

>I am saddened to hear of your condition. Why waste time?

Use of another ISP that offers Internet standard (POP3) e-
mail will put your Passport and Hotmail problems behind
you. Not many of us has time for wild-goose chases caused
by MSN updates, spoiled cookies, temporary Internet files
difficulties and server problems.

>--
>Tim K.
>Lynnwood, WA

Quote:>  Hi,
>  I really need help.At 30 yrs old and terminally ill my
>  computers are my lifeline to the outside world.(no
chat
>  rooms.)Information and entertainment.Right now I am
stuck
>  in bed with a laptop that I cannot access my primary
>  email among many many other problems concerning
Outlook
>  Express.
>  I hate to share my desperation with the world but I
need
>  help with at least this issue.I have others posted on
2
>  other newsgropus..Internet mail/IE6 Browser and MSN
>  Discussion,if anyone would/could help!!
>  Anything would be appreciated from deep within my
heart!!
>  Any suggestions at all.
>  Thanks in advance!
>  Kymie

Cannot log in to msn/hotmail account

Post by John Foul » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:47:01

I don't know the entire issue but try start-->run-->regsvr32
softpub.dll and or restore IE defaults in start-->settings-->control
panel-->internet options, restore all defaults on security tab,
privacy tab,and advanced tab and or download IE6 SP1 from
microsoft.com/ie

> Tim,
> Actually if you noticed my address(Bluefrog.com)I am
> using a different ISP.It's local and partially
> nationwide.MSN is horrible but for financial reasons it
> was the most affordable option for my primary
> computer.Since I am stuck in bed I am using my laptop via
> a different ISP.I was able to login to my MSN accounts to
> check email fine for months but the for slightly under 2
> weeks I cannot login to my passport to simply view my
> email.
> I knew mentioning my condition was a mistake but I have
> no one to help me and I do need to get into my MSN
> accounts.
> If I had my way I would rid of both ISP's and go to
> Broadband.We dont all have the financial means and dial
> up is the only option.Then again there are problems with
> any service you use.
> You obviously are one of the people that dont want
> anything to do with Microsft..and I would have to
> agree.Yes,I am wasting what time I have left trying to
> solve problems to my only lifeline.
> Actually on 2 other newsgroups I have posted other
> problems I am desperately in need of help with....These
> problems are all with my Bluefrog ISP and Outlook Express.
> Kymie

Post by kymi » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:10:29

Hi,
It was suggested to me twice to start run regsvr32
softpub.dll....I did this not knowing what it means.It
stated it succeeded..but what will this do? Nothing has
changed!I dont know if I should have because I am having
so many problems now with 2 computers that I may be
adding to my problems.Everything is snowballing on both
computers.I wanted help so I followed every bit of advice
I have received with no luck.

As of 3 days ago I have encountered severe problems with
my computer using MSN 8 as an ISP.This was not the
computer I started out asking for help for.

I am desperate for help but I would not know how to begin
asking.I communicate well in person but to explain in
writing what is now going on with my primary PC would be
an entire book.

I will say that I cannot log on to my MSN accouts untill
after about 10 minutes or so when I get connected but
only receiving cannot display pages.Net passport has been
unavailable to me now for 2 weeks.I used to be able to
connect just fine without full use of the net passport.It
always stated that you can usually sign in to MSN even if
the .NET Passport is unavailable and use MSN features
that are not dependent on the.NET Passport service.When
this happens,keep using MSN and you will be signed
into.NET Passport when service is available(exact
phrases.)This has been a problem before with MSN.But not
like this!
I have tried resetting my net passport with no luck once
I was able to get connected.

From what I have read.It states that I need to "Remove
and reset MSN dialing information" and "Remove and
restore MSN accout information".

I tried to follow printed instructions.I am not
comfortable doing this and it did not let me complete or
do what was suggested.

I dont know how to do this.I am not stupid and can read
but everything is snowballing.What I cant figure out is
why I am having major problems on 2 different PC's not
connected in anyway except for a new installation of
Norton Internet Security 2003 which was fine for 2
months...then on the same day on both PC's the NAS was
disabled fully leaving the NAV intact but telling me to
uninstall and reinstall.I cannot get either one to
uninstall because an error message pops up stating that
only the administrator with password has access.I live
alone and did not setup a password.I triple checked when
I installed all settings and the box was definitely
unchecked for no password.

There are 3 ways to uninstall :control panel,Norton
security program uninstall(through Norton itself) and a
manual uninstall if these are not accessable due to
asking for a password that does not exist.I am unable to
even attempt to manually uninstall this.It requires alot
of things(including system registry and backing up
files,which I dont know or understand how to do.)

I knew when I uninstalled the old expired version on both
PC's that there were going to be hidden files that needed
to be removed.I was waiting to get enough money to hire a
technician I work with to help me make sure it was done
correctly.That would be this coming week.Now it will cost
me alot of money because both computers seem to be quite
extreme with no access to one at all.Unfortunately I have
no money and we are talking at least $250 with a discount
because he knows my situation.Since I have dialup he will
even take it to his home to use broadband so it costs me
less time and money.I am afraid another complete
reformatting of my computers are going to be the only
solution.I have gone through this twice with my MSN
account.I should have stayed away from MSN but the offer
I received for service was so affordable as long as I
prepaid for a year.After the reformatting MSN 8 was
working perfect for 4 months.That was another incentive
to go ahead and renew my subscription.

***Can someone at least tell me what it is that I did by
running this command that was suggested to me.Please!!It
is extremely important I know what it is used for and
what I did.I never do something unless I know what it is
for but I am in need of help and decided if 2 people
suggested I do this,it would be ok.***

None of this has anything to do with the MSN problems
originally.They were there growing before the NAS.

I'm sorry you all have to read a book and I didn't even
put a dent into my MSN problems.I dont know what to do
anymore.Since I first posted on this board and 2 others a
couple of days ago,everything is worse and now not having
anything to do with my only my original problems.

It's unfortunate that my entire life consists of what the
internet has to offer me(no chat
rooms).Entertainment,knowledge,everything under the sun
rather than staring at blank walls or a tv.The internet
is everything to me!!

again,I am sorry for the huge book.I was only looking for
help!Please no rude comments.Think them but please keep
them to yourself.It shocked me on other boards what
people say for enjoyment and thrills!

Kymie

Post by ...winsto » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:41:10

This forum is not and never has been staffed by any person associated with
MSn.
All input is provided by users and volunteers..
If one can't resolve the issue by means of this forum two options remain
Call MSn
1-800-386-5550
or
Find another isp after removing MSn

It is unlikely that the toll free number will provide better MSn advice than
in this forum..
Best of Luck
 ..winston

:
[...]
: From what I have read.It states that I need to "Remove
: <news:0a5601c331ed$780d8cf0$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
[...]
: >>
: >> >I am saddened to hear of your condition. Why waste
: time?
: >> Use of another ISP that offers Internet standard
: (POP3) e-
: >> mail will put your Passport and Hotmail problems
: behind
: >> you. Not many of us has time for wild-goose chases
: caused
: >> by MSN updates, spoiled cookies, temporary Internet
: files
: >> difficulties and server problems.
: >> >
: >> >--
: >> >Tim K.
: >> >Lynnwood, WA
: >> >
: >> >
: >> >  kymie <tinyspi...@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
: >>  news:078801c33098$68b5c110$a401280a@phx.gbl...
[...]
: >.
: >

Cannot log in to msn/hotmail account

Post by Val - Microsoft [.NOT MVP » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:39:20

k,

All the start>run>regsvr32>softpub.....thing does is re-register the dll (which is something that normally shouldn't be required but since it's msn.....).

I'm having a little trouble following your logic.
Bluefrog, based in Rochester, NY is 5 bucks a month. msn as an isp is 20 and change.
LocalNet is 10 and absolutely available where you live.
How is spending $250 for a "tech" to fix msn problems an "economic necessity"?

Even if msn was a "freebie" (with purchase of a new box?) you got exactly what you paid for.

It really is time to bite the proverbial bullet and quit throwing good money after bad.
Your NAV problems are either directly related to cohabitance with msn, or the result of someone not following the well documented instructions regarding uninstall of an old version prior to installation of the new.

Rip out msn, get LocalNet for an isp, and go to the Symantec website and obtain the step by step "fix" procedure for a manual removal of a prior version.
Dumping msn will save you 20 something/month and countless hours of aggrevation.
Adding LocalNet will cost 10/month for a reliable isp, real (pop3) mail, and tech support that is actually capable of speaking in complete sentences.
Fixing NAV will cost nothing (saving you that $250) other than your investment of a couple hours of your time.

I don't know about "think them but keep them to yourself" or "what other people say for enjoyment or thrills".
If I've crossed that line in your judgement, sorry.

val
micro$oft {dot.NOT.dot.NET} - MVP (since 1950)