updating passport information

Post by Barb Adam » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:32:50

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to change my email address in
MSN and my .net passport so they are consistent with my
new email. Thanks, any info would help

updating passport information

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:17:39

Greetings Barb,

If you're using a Passport from a "restricted domain", you won't be able to change your
e-mail address, for example, hotmail.com, msn.com, webtv.net, passport.com, and dell.com
(there may be others here that I don't know of).   Assuming you're not using one of these,
just do the following to change your Passport e-mail address.

First, you need to save your contact list (they'll be deleted if you don't). Sign into
Messenger using your current Passport, click the File menu and then select Save Contact List.
The default filename should be fine, and just save it on your Desktop.  If you don't yet have
a contact list, you can skip this. Go to the Desktop and verify that the file was created.

If you do have contacts, you'll want to delete them off your main contact list (after you've
saved them), so that they can remove the "old" address off their lists completely.  Just
right-click each contact, and choose Delete.

Then, go to:
http://memberservices.passport.com/memberservice.srf and select 'Edit my .NET Passport
profile' and then under your current e-mail address click 'I want to change this', and enter
the new address.

Then, sign-in to your new Passport in Messenger (your new verification e-mail should be
arriving shortly).  Then, click the File menu, then select Import Contacts from a Saved File,
then locate the file you just saved on your desktop and select it.  Your contacts will be
readded, and they'll all need to add the new name to their list.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Hi, Can anyone tell me how to change my email address in
> MSN and my .net passport so they are consistent with my
> new email. Thanks, any info would help

1. Passport vs Net Passport

Any reason why two different passport screens are being presented for logon..
The original "Passport Login' and the newer "Net.Passport etc" login..
As far as I can tell, the .netpassport only pops up periodically...haven't a clue if anything is calling it....my methods haven't changed....
The .netpassport appears to reject the correct username/password combo most of the time..other times logon is fine..if it does fail, logon is rectified by closing the browser or deleting the passport cookie.....the subsequent passport sign in always brings up the original..

p.s. The same passport account is always in use..no other passport accounts use or have access to this machine..

    ...winston

2. Games SDK and Watcom 10.5

3. COMTRADE Opinion/Information/Review File (New Update!)

4. error C2893

5. CSpotRun now reading bookmarks directly from axxPac

6. REQ: CodeWarrior