how to stop pop ups

Post by Don » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:33:32

how can i get rid of the pop ups on messenger the
websites that tell you how say you have to pay to stop
them HELP !!!!!

how to stop pop ups

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:55:39

Greetings Don,

If these "popups" that appeared had "Messenger Service" in their titlebar, what you're seeing
is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger (which are two
different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor can Microsoft
control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these pop ups,  you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", go to the
Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools (if you're using XP, you may have to click Classic
View on the left). Double-click Services, and Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose disabled and then choose
the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> how can i get rid of the pop ups on messenger the
> websites that tell you how say you have to pay to stop
> them HELP !!!!!

how to stop pop ups

Post by Matt » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:31:58

That's simple. Try this...

1. Go to start, then Run & type in services.msc Click ok
2. Scroll to Messenger, select it, right click it &
choose Properties
3. Under startup choose "Disabled", then choose stop
4. When stopped, click ok.

You have just gotten rid of them. I tried this and it
works