Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger

Post by Administrato » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 07:00:56

I think it's about time Microsoft comes up with an idea to unite both MSN
and Windows messenger. Don't you think they are taking this a little too far
with different versions that do the same thing.

Teo

Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 07:22:37

Greetings Teo,

Until MSN Messenger 5 and Windows Messenger 4.7 they *were* the same program.

As well, they don't do the same thing.

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Greenwich/RTC Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).  Both however can make use of Microsoft
technologies, like the .NET Messenger service and .NET Alerts.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I think it's about time Microsoft comes up with an idea to unite both MSN