Contacts in 2 groups

Post by Kevi » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:35:44

I searched the forums but didn't find anything on this.
I have a few contacts that I have added that show up in two different
groups when they are online.  For example, when offline they show in
my offline contacts.  When they go online the will be in the Friends
group and the Coworkers group.  If I delete the contact they get
deleted from both groups.  If I add them back, they are still in the
multiple groups.
Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

Contacts in 2 groups

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:41:31

Greetings Kevin,

What exactly is the problem?

If you want the normal Online/Offline grouping, open the main Messenger window, click the
Tools menu, Sort Contacts by, and choose Online/Offline.  If you're using MSN Messenger 6,
open the main Messenger window, click the Contacts menu, then Sort Contacts by and choose
Online/Offline.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I searched the forums but didn't find anything on this.
> I have a few contacts that I have added that show up in two different
> groups when they are online.  For example, when offline they show in
> my offline contacts.  When they go online the will be in the Friends
> group and the Coworkers group.  If I delete the contact they get
> deleted from both groups.  If I add them back, they are still in the
> multiple groups.
> Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

Contacts in 2 groups

Post by Kevi » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:02:07

Hey Jonathan,

Sorry not to be clear.  I am using MSN6 and have Contacts sorted by
Groups.  I have a contact that when she is online appears in two
different groups at once.
I seem to have fixed it now playing around with it.  I right clicked
on the contact and choose Remove Contact from Group. That removed the
contact from the one group, leaving her in the other. I don't think
this was an option in MSN5 because it has been irking me for a while
now.

If you want to see a screenshot of exactly what I was talking about go
to:
http://pureit.hopto.org/Fun+Stuff/Fun+Pictures/123.aspx

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

> Greetings Kevin,

> What exactly is the problem?

> If you want the normal Online/Offline grouping, open the main Messenger window, click the
> Tools menu, Sort Contacts by, and choose Online/Offline.  If you're using MSN Messenger 6,
> open the main Messenger window, click the Contacts menu, then Sort Contacts by and choose
> Online/Offline.
> Jonathan Kay
> Windows MVP, Messenger
> Associate Expert

> > I searched the forums but didn't find anything on this.
> > I have a few contacts that I have added that show up in two different
> > groups when they are online.  For example, when offline they show in
> > my offline contacts.  When they go online the will be in the Friends
> > group and the Coworkers group.  If I delete the contact they get
> > deleted from both groups.  If I add them back, they are still in the
> > multiple groups.
> > Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

Contacts in 2 groups

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:03:54

Hi Kevin,

Yes, actually what you're seeing is by design -- you can put a contact in as many groups as
you want (when you drag the contact to a new group, just hold down the Ctrl key to 'copy' the
contact instead of moving it).  The "Remove Contact from Group" is the normal way of removing
it.

Also, MSN Messenger 5 has the exact same option and behavior.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> Hey Jonathan,

> Sorry not to be clear.  I am using MSN6 and have Contacts sorted by
> Groups.  I have a contact that when she is online appears in two
> different groups at once.
> I seem to have fixed it now playing around with it.  I right clicked
> on the contact and choose Remove Contact from Group. That removed the
> contact from the one group, leaving her in the other. I don't think
> this was an option in MSN5 because it has been irking me for a while
> now.

> If you want to see a screenshot of exactly what I was talking about go
> to:
> http://pureit.hopto.org/Fun+Stuff/Fun+Pictures/123.aspx

> Thanks for your time.

> Kevin

> > Greetings Kevin,

> > What exactly is the problem?

> > If you want the normal Online/Offline grouping, open the main Messenger window, click the
> > Tools menu, Sort Contacts by, and choose Online/Offline.  If you're using MSN Messenger
6,
> > open the main Messenger window, click the Contacts menu, then Sort Contacts by and choose
> > Online/Offline.
> > Jonathan Kay
> > Windows MVP, Messenger
> > Associate Expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

> > > I searched the forums but didn't find anything on this.
> > > I have a few contacts that I have added that show up in two different
> > > groups when they are online.  For example, when offline they show in
> > > my offline contacts.  When they go online the will be in the Friends
> > > group and the Coworkers group.  If I delete the contact they get
> > > deleted from both groups.  If I add them back, they are still in the
> > > multiple groups.
> > > Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

1. Viewing Contacts by group problem

Hi,

About a year ago I styarted having problems with my
contact list. After sorting them into groups, everytime I
choose to view them by group, all the contacts under the
group headings are missing. Only the contacts under 'Other
Contacts' are visible. When i switch back to sorting
contacts to offline/online, all my missing contacts
reappear. This happens on any computer I use, and noone
else I know has this problem. I would be grateful if
anyone could shed some light on this for me. I tried going
through MSN Help and contacting them but the site kept
giving me an error when submitting.
Many Thanks.

2. Schema Question

3. Hide Contacts or Groups

4. two way chat...unable to get operational (occasionally)

5. Contact for Seybold Group's "Distributed Computing Monitor" ?

6. DUARTs & IRQs (Novice question)

7. Microsoft Network Management Group (How to contact?)

8. Usage of MakeLink() call

9. contact groups

10. Contact Groups

11. Howto: Spec'cing those "contact suppressors" across relay contacts.

12. Contact/non-contact sensor