unable to send file using msn messenger

Post by satheeshkuma » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:49:39

hi,

 I am unable to transfer file using msn messenger.Here i
am using 10.x.x.x address for our local intranet.I think
that may be a problem too.I am not able to send file using
ftp also.But if i transfer file using static ips it is
sending the file.So, my question is how i get rid of this
problem.I cannot use static ip for local intranet
machine.But i want to transfer files using msn
messenger.Please some one help me to solve this problem.I
this must be a problem with ftp port 21.But i don't know
how to resolve this.

regards
satheesh

unable to send file using msn messenger

Post by RSF » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 03:16:55

Instead of delving into MSN Messenger, or even asking which version you are
trying to fix, why not download and install the Yahoo Messenger and see if
that will sove your problems?

Go here for Yahoo Messenger:  http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Quote:> hi,

>  I am unable to transfer file using msn messenger.Here i
> am using 10.x.x.x address for our local intranet.I think
> that may be a problem too.I am not able to send file using
> ftp also.But if i transfer file using static ips it is
> sending the file.So, my question is how i get rid of this
> problem.I cannot use static ip for local intranet
> machine.But i want to transfer files using msn
> messenger.Please some one help me to solve this problem.I
> this must be a problem with ftp port 21.But i don't know
> how to resolve this.

> regards
> satheesh

unable to send file using msn messenger

Post by val » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:35:11

rsf,
While satish may have a perfectly valid 'academic' or 'functional' reason for having to "delve into the msnmess" (none come immediately to mind for me <g> but....),
generally speaking your point is exactly on the mark.
With yahoo and aol capable of providing IM software that works without all these foolish "workarounds", why anyone put up with the half-baked msn version is beyond me.
Exactly the same logic applies to the msn kiddie browser.
There are those for whom "training wheels" are entirely in order and appropriate (not meant to be condescending, simply a recognition that "folx" come in all varieties). For those who elect to go that route, why in the world deal with the msn kiddie version that requires "advanced user" skills to even get functioning when others (aol, for example) do it effortlessly?
One thing msn can offer is consistency.
6 years ago they attempted to create a niche for "advanced/power" users. Their software required constant tweaking not only to get working in the first place, but also to fix "bugs" they introduced on an almost daily basis. To dedicated users of that era, that was acceptable since they went into it knowing a certain level of competance on the user side was required.
That effort failed miserably and msn reincarnated themselves into an aol "wannabee".
What made aol over the years is exactly what they proclaim each and every day, "so easy-no wonder it's #1".
Agree or disagree with their philosophy but not even the shills can (except in their own minds) ignore the success.
The msn - "aol wannabee" efforts have now had sufficient time to prove themselves equally inept (hence the "consistency").
Target your audience to compete with aol and force those newbie/technologically challenged/totally uninterested in knowing 'why' it works, just want it to 'work', "folx" to "locate the hosts file on your hard drive (not the "hosts.sam" file - the "hosts" file with no extension (oh, really??? vbg).
Yup, a kiddie service in more ways than one.

> Instead of delving into MSN Messenger, or even asking which version you are
> trying to fix, why not download and install the Yahoo Messenger and see if
> that will sove your problems?

> Go here for Yahoo Messenger:  http://messenger.yahoo.com/

> > hi,

> >  I am unable to transfer file using msn messenger.Here i
> > am using 10.x.x.x address for our local intranet.I think
> > that may be a problem too.I am not able to send file using
> > ftp also.But if i transfer file using static ips it is
> > sending the file.So, my question is how i get rid of this
> > problem.I cannot use static ip for local intranet
> > machine.But i want to transfer files using msn
> > messenger.Please some one help me to solve this problem.I
> > this must be a problem with ftp port 21.But i don't know
> > how to resolve this.

> > regards
> > satheesh

unable to send file using msn messenger

Post by Sandi Hardmeier MV » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:42:16

Quote:> hi,

>  I am unable to transfer file using msn messenger.Here i
> am using 10.x.x.x address for our local intranet.I think
> that may be a problem too.I am not able to send file using
> ftp also.But if i transfer file using static ips it is
> sending the file.So, my question is how i get rid of this
> problem.I cannot use static ip for local intranet
> machine.But i want to transfer files using msn
> messenger.Please some one help me to solve this problem.I
> this must be a problem with ftp port 21.But i don't know
> how to resolve this.

> regards
> satheesh

What version are you running?  The latest requires UPNP and NAT to work.

--
MVP Award
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.
Sandi ...
Microsoft MVP (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/index.htm

unable to send file using msn messenger

Post by satheeshkuma » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 04:07:19

here is the problem.I am using latest version of msn
messenger.I am here already did NAT with my router.so that
i am able to access internet.But i am not able to do ftp
using 10.10.10.x address inside our intranet.Same like
ftp, from msn messenger i am not able to send or transfer
files.Is there anyway to solve this problem.This will
solve my ftp problem also.

regards
satheesh

Post by Sandi Hardmeier MV » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 19:58:20

Quote:> here is the problem.I am using latest version of msn
> messenger.I am here already did NAT with my router.so that
> i am able to access internet.But i am not able to do ftp
> using 10.10.10.x address inside our intranet.Same like
> ftp, from msn messenger i am not able to send or transfer
> files.Is there anyway to solve this problem.This will
> solve my ftp problem also.

Some possibilities:

Disabled UPNP
Port blocking in a network environment

Make sure you have at least version 0217. There were problems with particular
system configurations which were fixed with 'silent' upgrades.