Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

Post by Andrew Oftheson » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:46:58

Hi... why there exists Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5 as two
different products?

I have XP Pro, that came with WM, and upgrade automatically only up to v47.
I had to manually download MSNM 5 and install it.

So, why as 2 different products, and why v47 of one doesnt go to v5 of the
other??

Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:03:27

Greetings Andrew,

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Greenwich/RTC Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).  Both however can make use of Microsoft
technologies, like the .NET Messenger service and .NET Alerts.

Windows Messenger 5 (when released) will upgrade Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6
will upgrade MSN Messenger 5 -- obviously MSN Messenger 5 won't upgrade Windows Messenger
4.7, they're separate products.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Hi... why there exists Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5 as two
> different products?

> I have XP Pro, that came with WM, and upgrade automatically only up to v47.
> I had to manually download MSNM 5 and install it.

> So, why as 2 different products, and why v47 of one doesnt go to v5 of the
> other??

1. MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

Hi, I have a Windows XP Pro system and "upgraded" Windows Messenger 4.7 to
MSN Messenger 5.0. I did this through an update alert in the bottom right
corner of the screen and Messenger 5 just doesn't seem as integrated as the
Windows Messenger version. Is there a particular reason for this? Why would
Windows Messenger update to MSN Messenger in the first place?

Whenever I start MSN Explorer, it still uses Windows Messenger. This is
depressing, MSN is getting really confusing with thier products now. Can
anyone explain any of this to me? I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance.

David Leon

2. Newbie: 650 versus 700 Mb Recording

3. MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger 4.7

4. Z-RAM Ultra Battery

5. Video between Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 4.6 and 5.0

6. Bitsufer Pro on OS2

7. Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

8. glossy report design/style/class queries

9. Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

10. MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity

11. MSN Messenger 4.7 for XP: Video Window Size

12. Windows messenger vs. MSN messenger

13. Windows Messenger vs MSN Messenger