versions 4.7 & 5

Post by David Dixe » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:21:15

Can someone help please?

I run Windows XP Home Edition. My Outlook version 6
defaults to use MSN 4.7 when I launch Outlook. I've
downloaded MSN version 5 and it runs on my system
alongside version 4.7 !!  I can't find a way to remove
4.7 or to get Outlook to recognise and use version 5 and
to ditch version 4.7.

Does anyone know how to do this ?  I also tried to remove
4.7 through "Add, remove windows components" but that
didn't work. 4.7 is still on my system.

Dave  UK.

versions 4.7 & 5

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:09:57

Greetings Dave,

You can remove Windows Messenger 4.7, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger
from working (or loading without problems).  You can just disable Windows Messenger 4.7, by
opening it up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this program when
Windows starts'.  This won't stop it from being loaded by some other application though. As
well, you can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list
and click Next >.  Note: this is only available if you've installed Windows XP Service Pack
1 -- if you haven't, visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.  This won't remove Windows
Messenger, but it will let it stay out of your way, and allow MSN Messenger 6 to work
properly.  Also, you'll probably want to turn off the Windows Messenger integration in
Outlook and/or Outlook Express (there is no way to integrate MSN Messenger 5).  To do so, for
Outlook, For Outlook (XP/2002), just open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then
the Other tab, and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.  For Outlook
Express, close Outlook Express, and run this .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

Also see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330117 for more information on Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN
Messenger 5.0 (also refers to MSN Messenger 6)
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Can someone help please?

> I run Windows XP Home Edition. My Outlook version 6
> defaults to use MSN 4.7 when I launch Outlook. I've
> downloaded MSN version 5 and it runs on my system
> alongside version 4.7 !!  I can't find a way to remove
> 4.7 or to get Outlook to recognise and use version 5 and
> to ditch version 4.7.

> Does anyone know how to do this ?  I also tried to remove
> 4.7 through "Add, remove windows components" but that
> didn't work. 4.7 is still on my system.

> Dave  UK.

1. Version 4.7

Greetings,

Windows Messenger 4.7 still remains when you install MSN Messenger 5.  If you've removed it,
you can download another copy at http://messenger.msn.com/?client=0.

If you're not using Windows XP, and therefore referring to MSN Messenger 4.6, you can find
that at:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/msnmessenger/install/4.6/win98...
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
MSN Messenger 5 FAQ
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/msn5faq.aspx

2. BYPASS DEATH -- THE ONLY WAY TO

3. messenger version 4.7 [4.7.0105]

4. List of publications in Thesis

5. New Windows Messenger 4.7 version (4.7.2009)

6. GPS app for OS/2?

7. New Windows Messenger 4.7 version (4.7.2005)

8. msn messanger 4.7 xp version

9. Windows Messenger version 4.7

10. CPE update - version 4.7

11. FAQ - ASCII Art Questions & Answers (4.7 - 58 K)