Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Chris Schram » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a dedicated
phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can stay
connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog down.
Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I have
to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to have it
bog down again.

I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading fine
again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know yet if
I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts as my
control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working again.
If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know if
that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific process.
But, I digress.

So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for four
years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all of a
sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other aspects.

TIA,  Schramm Sends

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever since the Love Bug hit.
--
Patty
MS MVP Desktop Systems

> I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a dedicated
> phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
> connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can stay
> connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog down.
> Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I have
> to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to have it
> bog down again.

> I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
> improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading fine
> again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know yet if
> I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts as my
> control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
> wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working again.
> If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know if
> that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific process.
> But, I digress.

> So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for four
> years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all of a
> sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other aspects.

> TIA,  Schramm Sends

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Chris Schram » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Interesting.  I'm not infected, I didn't receive it at home, and in any
case, I'm running NAV2000.  So are you saying that the LoveBug might be
causing problems somewhere (not my system) and it's affecting the internet,
or MSN, or the server?  Or do think we might have some version of the
LoveBug or another Trojan on our systems?

Schramm Sends

I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever since
the Love Bug hit.
--
Patty
MS MVP Desktop Systems

Quote:> I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a dedicated
> phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
> connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can
stay
> connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog down.
> Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I
have
> to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to have
it
> bog down again.

> I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
> improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading fine
> again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know yet
if
> I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts as
my
> control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
> wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working
again.
> If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know if
> that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific
process.
> But, I digress.

> So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for
four
> years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all of
> sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other
aspects.

> TIA,  Schramm Sends

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

No, not saying we, you or anyone else specifically is infected in any way.  Just that is when I started noticing problems connecting to other servers.  Perhaps it has to do with safeguards put in place on various servers, perhaps it has to do with Internet traffic downloading fixes or other things that got wiped out, who knows?  Perhaps the trouble really started before then but I didn't notice it right away.
--
Patty
MS MVP Desktop Systems

> Interesting.  I'm not infected, I didn't receive it at home, and in any
> case, I'm running NAV2000.  So are you saying that the LoveBug might be
> causing problems somewhere (not my system) and it's affecting the internet,
> or MSN, or the server?  Or do think we might have some version of the
> LoveBug or another Trojan on our systems?

> Schramm Sends

> I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever since
> the Love Bug hit.
> --
> Patty
> MS MVP Desktop Systems

> > I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a dedicated
> > phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
> > connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can
> stay
> > connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog down.
> > Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I
> have
> > to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to have
> it
> > bog down again.

> > I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
> > improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading fine
> > again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know yet
> if
> > I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts as
> my
> > control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
> > wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working
> again.
> > If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know if
> > that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific
> process.
> > But, I digress.

> > So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for
> four
> > years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all of
> > sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other
> aspects.

> > TIA,  Schramm Sends

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Tom » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

I've noticed the same since then too, and tonight MSN(UUnet) was down for serveral hours, working now but at a trickle.  Since Freewwweb didn't work either, I assume it must be UUnet problem.

Tom

I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever since the Love Bug hit.
--
Patty
MS MVP Desktop Systems

> I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a dedicated
> phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
> connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can stay
> connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog down.
> Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I have
> to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to have it
> bog down again.

> I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
> improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading fine
> again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know yet if
> I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts as my
> control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
> wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working again.
> If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know if
> that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific process.
> But, I digress.

> So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for four
> years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all of a
> sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other aspects.

> TIA,  Schramm Sends

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Kuay Ti » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

I've also noticed some connection problems, particularly in the last 24 hours. Using Earthlink (UUNet).

Tim

  I've noticed the same since then too, and tonight MSN(UUnet) was down for serveral hours, working now but at a trickle.  Since Freewwweb didn't work either, I assume it must be UUnet problem.

  Tom

  I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever since the Love Bug hit.
  --
  Patty
  MS MVP Desktop Systems

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Agron Selima » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

What is the UUNet?

> I've noticed the same since then too, and tonight MSN(UUnet) was down =
> for serveral hours, working now but at a trickle.  Since Freewwweb =
> didn't work either, I assume it must be UUnet problem.

> Tom

> I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever =
> since the Love Bug hit.
> --=20
> Patty
> MS MVP Desktop Systems

> > I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a =
> dedicated
> > phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
> > connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can =
> stay
> > connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog =
> down.
> > Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I =
> have
> > to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to =
> have it
> > bog down again.
> >=20
> > I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
> > improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading =
> fine
> > again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know =
> yet if
> > I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts =
> as my
> > control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
> > wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working =
> again.
> > If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know =
> if
> > that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific =
> process.
> > But, I digress.
> >=20
> > So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for =
> four
> > years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all =
> of a
> > sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other =
> aspects.

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

I was suspecting UUNET also.  UUNet is one of the Internet backbones.  It leases its lines to MSN and other carriers.
--
Patty
MS MVP Desktop Systems

> What is the UUNet?

> > I've noticed the same since then too, and tonight MSN(UUnet) was down =
> > for serveral hours, working now but at a trickle.  Since Freewwweb =
> > didn't work either, I assume it must be UUnet problem.

> > Tom

> > I don't think it is just MSN.  I've been seeing the same thing ever =
> > since the Love Bug hit.
> > --=20
> > Patty
> > MS MVP Desktop Systems

> > > I have a 400mhz PII machine, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, 56k modem on a =
> > dedicated
> > > phone line w/o Call waiting.  Dial up into MSN on a 56k line.  Usually
> > > connect at 49k or even 50k.  I can usually connect fine to MSN and can =
> > stay
> > > connected for hours all day.  Recently, however, it started to bog =
> > down.
> > > Might download a page then just stop.  I don't get disconnected, but I =
> > have
> > > to disconnect myself, then reconnect to start surfing again, only to =
> > have it
> > > bog down again.
> > >=20
> > > I tried different phone numbers and all times of the day, but no
> > > improvement.  Then, on a hunch, I rebooted, and now it's downloading =
> > fine
> > > again.  I've only tried this remedy (rebooting) once, so I don't know =
> > yet if
> > > I can recreate this.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Actually, my wife acts =
> > as my
> > > control rat.  When I get home from work and she complains that the MSN
> > > wasn't working all day, then I'll reboot and see if it starts working =
> > again.
> > > If I tell her to reboot, then she'll reboot too early and I won't know =
> > if
> > > that's what actually fixed the problem.  I just love the scientific =
> > process.
> > > But, I digress.
> > >=20
> > > So my question is, without slamming MSN, (I've been very satisfied for =
> > four
> > > years with their service), why would the computer stop downloading all =
> > of a
> > > sudden, forcing a reboot.  BTW, the machine acts fine in all other =
> > aspects.

Forced to reboot to surf

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Good to have confirmation from you all.  Mine seemed a bit better today.
--
Patty
MS MVP Desktop Systems