Can't stay logged in!

Post by Elizabeth Gilber » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:29:09

Hi. I've tried various different versions of MSN (including 6) and none of
them can keep me logged in for about more than a minute. I don't know what
it is, I have no problems connecting, it's just staying connected so I don't
think it can be a firewall! It's extremely annoying.. when it logs me out
the icon on the start bar stays green so I don't realise I've been logged
out. I'm currently using version 5. Any ideas? It's driving me mad!

Kat

Can't stay logged in!

Post by Tier 2 Cor » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:31:12

You've probably got a corruption in your .NET passport
profile. Are you on BB or dialup? Running XP? If so, check
your Windows XP User Accounts profile for an
associated .NET passport. If you're on dialup, make sure
that you lower your modems max port speed to 57,600 and
that you've got all of the latest Windows Updates. Anythin
else, write me back.

Cory
MSN Technical Support Engineer

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi. I've tried various different versions of MSN

(including 6) and none of
Quote:>them can keep me logged in for about more than a minute.
I don't know what
>it is, I have no problems connecting, it's just staying

connected so I don't
Quote:>think it can be a firewall! It's extremely annoying..
when it logs me out
>the icon on the start bar stays green so I don't realise
I've been logged
>out. I'm currently using version 5. Any ideas? It's
driving me mad!

>Kat

>.

Can't stay logged in!

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:21:51

Greetings Kat,

Here are some suggestions that might help:

If you're using a third-party firewall (Sygate, ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc.) try uninstalling
them or set Messenger to "Permit All" or "Allow" type options in the firewall configuration.

If you're using a router, make sure you have the latest firmware from your router
manufacturer.  As well, you might try setting your computers local IP into the routers DMZ
setting (see documentation on how to do this).

If you see the disconnection problem on a corporate network, the network may be timing out
your settings -- in this case, you might want to ask  your system administrator to adjust the
corporate internet sharing solution/firewall (if possible).

Finally, this can also happen due to a lack of bandwidth.  If you have Kazaa, WinMX, GNUtella
or some other file sharing-type application or something else that takes considerable amounts
of bandwidth, you may want to shut it down and see if that helps the situation (even if
you're using a high speed connection, these applications can use most of the resources of
your connection).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Hi. I've tried various different versions of MSN (including 6) and none of
> them can keep me logged in for about more than a minute. I don't know what
> it is, I have no problems connecting, it's just staying connected so I don't
> think it can be a firewall! It's extremely annoying.. when it logs me out
> the icon on the start bar stays green so I don't realise I've been logged
> out. I'm currently using version 5. Any ideas? It's driving me mad!

> Kat

1. MSN messenger won't stay logged in

For some reason, my msn messenger will not stay logged in.
It logs in first thing in the morning but when I go to IM
someone, it makes me sign in again.
Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong??  I have
checked all the options and nothing seems to work.
Thanks in advance.

2. Perl

3. Driving 'canned' QNX Windows apps.

4. MSXML4

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. FS: Atari 5200 System

7. Staying Logged in

8. Hardware Failures

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. Save LOG Clear LOG Save LOG ...

11. HP Scanjet 3300C won't stay installed - help

12. Microtek ScanMaker E6 green ready light won't stay on?

13. X-10 Wall Switch won't stay on