Configure Xp firewall to allow file send

Configure Xp firewall to allow file send

Post by JTK » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:10:28

How can I configure the Windows XP firewall to allow file send with MSN
messenger?

JT Kinderaas

Configure Xp firewall to allow file send

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:16:57

Greetings,

 To do so, click Start, then click the Control Panel. If you're in  category
view click Network and Internet connections then click Network Connections.  Right click
your connection, then click Properties. For cable modem/broadband users, your connection will
usually be called Local Area Connection. For dialup, it should be the name of  your Internet
Service Provider.  Click the Advanced Tab, verify the Internet Connection Firewall  is turned
on (or turn it off here, and don't bother configuring it). Then click the Settings tab.
Click the add button and then in the Service Settings, type in the following  information.
For Description enter MSN Connection for Name or IP address enter 127.0.0.1, for both
External and Internal ports enter 1863. Verify TCP is selected and click OK.  Now you need to
repeat the last step but changing the ports to 5060, 1503, 6891, 6892, 6893, 6894, 6895,
6896, 6897, 6898, 6899, 6900. Yes, 13 (including the first one) will now be selected.

Then click the 'Remote Desktop' entry (that was there before you started) and click Edit.
Enter 127.0.0.1 as the IP, and click OK (can't change anything else).  Make sure all 14 (the
13 you added + Remote Desktop) connections are selected  then click OK. For screenshots on
this procedure, see
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=16
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> How can I configure the Windows XP firewall to allow file send with MSN
> messenger?

> JT Kinderaas

Configure Xp firewall to allow file send

Post by JTK » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:22:12

Quote:> Greetings,

>  To do so, click Start, then click the Control Panel. If you're in
category
> view click Network and Internet connections then click Network

Connections.  Right click
Quote:> your connection, then click Properties. For cable modem/broadband users,

your connection will
Quote:> usually be called Local Area Connection. For dialup, it should be the name
of  your Internet
> Service Provider.  Click the Advanced Tab, verify the Internet Connection
Firewall  is turned
> on (or turn it off here, and don't bother configuring it). Then click the
Settings tab.
> Click the add button and then in the Service Settings, type in the

following  information.
Quote:> For Description enter MSN Connection for Name or IP address enter
127.0.0.1, for both
> External and Internal ports enter 1863. Verify TCP is selected and click

OK.  Now you need to
Quote:> repeat the last step but changing the ports to 5060, 1503, 6891, 6892,
6893, 6894, 6895,
> 6896, 6897, 6898, 6899, 6900. Yes, 13 (including the first one) will now
be selected.

> Then click the 'Remote Desktop' entry (that was there before you started)
and click Edit.
> Enter 127.0.0.1 as the IP, and click OK (can't change anything else).

Make sure all 14 (the

Quote:> 13 you added + Remote Desktop) connections are selected  then click OK.
For screenshots on
> this procedure, see
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=16

Thank you!

JTK

Configure Xp firewall to allow file send

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:46:02

Hi JTK,

You're very welcome =).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger