Win messenger Win XP <--CAM--> Msn Messenger Win 98

Win messenger Win XP <--CAM--> Msn Messenger Win 98

Post by Chri » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:48:39

How can i have a video confrence between Win messenger
Win XP and  Msn Messenger Win 98?

Win messenger Win XP <--CAM--> Msn Messenger Win 98

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:43:47

Greetings Chris,

Built-in video support is currently limited to Windows XP users only.   If you want to use
video with others on previous versions of Windows, just ask them to use Netmeeting (they go
to their Actions menu and choose Start Netmeeting, this option isn't on by default in Windows
XP) or if you and your contact are using MSN Messenger 5, you can use the Logitech-based
* Support:
http://www.veryComputer.com/*.asp
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Messenger Resources - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> How can i have a video confrence between Win messenger
> Win XP and  Msn Messenger Win 98?

Win messenger Win XP <--CAM--> Msn Messenger Win 98

Post by John Haggert » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:38:56

Hi Jonathan,

I'm using XP and have just downloaded the latest versions
of * for MSN Messenger and MSN Messenger 5. I've got
a Logitech QuickCam.

My mate has the same *, has also re-downloaded the
same softwear but is using 98SE.

When I invite him to a video call he gets to see an image
from my * for a few seconds before it disappears. I
get a message saying that he needs version 4, a sound
card, etc.

When he invites me, my system declines the invite and
suggests a voice call.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

John Haggerty

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings Chris,

>Built-in video support is currently limited to Windows

XP users only.   If you want to use
Quote:>video with others on previous versions of Windows, just

ask them to use Netmeeting (they go
Quote:>to their Actions menu and choose Start Netmeeting, this

option isn't on by default in Windows
Quote:>XP) or if you and your contact are using MSN Messenger

5, you can use the Logitech-based
>* Support:
>http://www.veryComputer.com/*.asp
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert
>http://www.veryComputer.com/
>Messenger Resources - http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> How can i have a video confrence between Win messenger
>> Win XP and  Msn Messenger Win 98?

>.

Win messenger Win XP <--CAM--> Msn Messenger Win 98

Post by John Haggert » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:27:55

Hi Jonatahan,

Update on last message.

Can get two way video by using 'Start * for MSN
Messenger' option instead of the 'Start a voice
conversation' option.

No joy with the sound however. When I click on 'Start
talking' the mike is 'X'ed. When I slide it up to max. it
invites the other end to a voice conversation. When he
accepts I get a 'connecting' on the status bar. After a
couple of minutes the 'Start talking' window closes and I
get a message saying the conversation has ended.

Have tested the mike separately and it is picking up ok.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

John Haggerty

Post by John Haggert » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 18:34:20

Hi Jonatahan,

CORRECTED update on last message.

Can get two way video by using 'Start * for MSN
Messenger' option instead of the 'Start a VIDEO