Messenger Software Idea

Messenger Software Idea

Post by Cale » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:29:01



I would like to post a suggestion that I reckon would be
a cool feature in MSN Messenger 6 (for when it comes out
soon).

What I would like to see in Messenger is it having a
feature where it can tell me how many contacts I have
online displayed on the "Welcome Screen" for XP users.
(just like windows does when it shows you how many new
emails you have - you know what I mean?).

Is this possible? (or already been suggested?) And being
able to turn it on and off (the feature)

 
 
 

Messenger Software Idea

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:02:53


Greetings Caleb,

Interesting idea -- no, I don't believe anyone's done this), I think you'll have to wait for
Longhorn to see anything like this (not saying Longhorn will have this feature, but as far as
I know, it's near to impossible to add new info to the welcome screen -- if you can prove me
wrong, please do!).
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com


Quote:> I would like to post a suggestion that I reckon would be
> a cool feature in MSN Messenger 6 (for when it comes out
> soon).

> What I would like to see in Messenger is it having a
> feature where it can tell me how many contacts I have
> online displayed on the "Welcome Screen" for XP users.
> (just like windows does when it shows you how many new
> emails you have - you know what I mean?).

> Is this possible? (or already been suggested?) And being
> able to turn it on and off (the feature)


 
 
 

Messenger Software Idea

Post by Cale » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:26:16


Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.

So Microsoft wouldn't be able to do something like this
for this version of messenger? (that's a shame :( )

In relation to what you said, does that mean an 'update'
or even a full blown 'upgrade' (longhorn) would have to
be done/created for the operating system (windows) itself
for a feature like this to happen?

All in all, could this be added to the 'wish-list' for
the developers of MSN Messenger anyway? Or is this just
to big of a job? (programmers nightmare? haha)

Caleb
<><

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings Caleb,

>Interesting idea -- no, I don't believe anyone's done

this), I think you'll have to wait for
Quote:>Longhorn to see anything like this (not saying Longhorn

will have this feature, but as far as
Quote:>I know, it's near to impossible to add new info to the

welcome screen -- if you can prove me
>wrong, please do!).
>____________________________________________
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com



>> I would like to post a suggestion that I reckon would
be
>> a cool feature in MSN Messenger 6 (for when it comes
out
>> soon).

>> What I would like to see in Messenger is it having a
>> feature where it can tell me how many contacts I have
>> online displayed on the "Welcome Screen" for XP users.
>> (just like windows does when it shows you how many new
>> emails you have - you know what I mean?).

>> Is this possible? (or already been suggested?) And
being
>> able to turn it on and off (the feature)

>.

 
 
 

Messenger Software Idea

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:37:25


Hi Caleb,

What I'm saying is the current welcome screen is the way it is, I don't believe you can add
or "plug-in" additional functionality into it, from a security standpoint (since this is the
main login to the computer), this would be somewhat of a nightmare.  I'd like to see some
scripting capabilities into the welcome screen as well, for example, to show the current
weather and other information you might want to display without having to log into/unlock the
PC.  This is all a Windows things however, not a MSN Messenger thing -- I will keep in the
back of my mind though =).
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com


> Jonathan,

> Thanks for the reply.

> So Microsoft wouldn't be able to do something like this
> for this version of messenger? (that's a shame :( )

> In relation to what you said, does that mean an 'update'
> or even a full blown 'upgrade' (longhorn) would have to
> be done/created for the operating system (windows) itself
> for a feature like this to happen?

> All in all, could this be added to the 'wish-list' for
> the developers of MSN Messenger anyway? Or is this just
> to big of a job? (programmers nightmare? haha)

> Caleb
> <><

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Greetings Caleb,

> >Interesting idea -- no, I don't believe anyone's done
> this), I think you'll have to wait for
> >Longhorn to see anything like this (not saying Longhorn
> will have this feature, but as far as
> >I know, it's near to impossible to add new info to the
> welcome screen -- if you can prove me
> >wrong, please do!).
> >____________________________________________
> >Jonathan Kay
> >Windows MVP, Messenger
> >Associate Expert
> >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com



> >> I would like to post a suggestion that I reckon would
> be
> >> a cool feature in MSN Messenger 6 (for when it comes
> out
> >> soon).

> >> What I would like to see in Messenger is it having a
> >> feature where it can tell me how many contacts I have
> >> online displayed on the "Welcome Screen" for XP users.
> >> (just like windows does when it shows you how many new
> >> emails you have - you know what I mean?).

> >> Is this possible? (or already been suggested?) And
> being
> >> able to turn it on and off (the feature)

> >.

 
 
 

1. MSN Messenger, STUPID IDEA MS OR WHAT??!!

I, like so many others, have gone round the MSN Messenger
circle and reached the same conclusion.

I have installed, used, suddenly found two messengers,
found the original is still very much in control and used
by EVERYTHING else, first thought this was an
installation error, realised it is in fact by design
(WHAT ON EARTH??!! Two 90% identical programs!), finally
decided that the best thing is to uninstall MSN Messenger
and continue with Windows Messenger, but am now
constantly reminded to update to this new pointless
version (not even that, it's asking me to install an
almost identical product to run alongside it). Now have
to option to hack the registry but will never get ANY
update notices again.... like most I don't particularly
want to do this.....

So, the conclusion? We all think Microsoft are stupid as
hell?! I mean.... WHY?! What's the point of a duplicate
product? Why the hell not just do a Windows Messenger
5.0 ? What idiot came up with the idea of another
messenger? WHAT IS THE POINT?! For goodness sake, I can
understand MSN Explorer and Internet Exlorer, a proper
product and a rather "all-in-one for newbies" idea for a
web browser, but apart from looking nicer, MSN Messenger
is USELESS and annoying.

Microsoft, do you realise you've wasted so many people's
time going through the above loop and severrely pissing
them off.

MSN Messenger is pointless, I insist you remove it,
delete it, banish it to the far reaching corners of the
recycle bin and do a WINDOWS Messenger 5.5 (which has the
same pretty graphics and any improvements, BUT NOT losing
any functionality of 4.7) or 6 to install OVER Windows
Messenger 4.7 and at the same time delete MSN Messenger
from any user stuck with it.

Who agrees with me? I've supported Microsoft against the
people who bash them, saying their an evil company, but
today it's really acted stupidly and we must force them
to correct this hideous mistake.

Andy

2. Tandy 1000A Expansion

3. Some compression ideas explained, another crazy ass idea(or two)!

4. Conf. problems with HOPF 6038 GPS receiver

5. good idea / bad idea with a question

6. CH Virtual Pilot Pro

7. Making a foreign key chain - good idea or bad idea?

8. A500+ & accesories

9. Scanner+Software ideas

10. Could really use some ideas about troubleshooting ActiveHome software

11. Wtd: Ideas for temperature monitoring Software

12. Sugestion Box/New Ideas Aministrator Software

13. Sugestion Box/New Ideas Administrator Software