Question: Behind Proxy Server - Must Map link - Need chat Server Name

Question: Behind Proxy Server - Must Map link - Need chat Server Name

Post by Troy Bo » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:54:52

Good evening,

This is the firt time I've posted to this group so please let me know
if my question is outside the scope of the groups charter.

I am trying to map a link though my proxy server so that I can use the
MSN chat rooms via IE6 (not MSN messenger).  I have contacted MS
Support and they gave me the following info;

I must open port 6667 and it has to be a BiDirectional UDP.

This is only half of the info my proxy program requires to map this
link...It requires the server name.   MS support does not seem to
wanna give me this simple info and I cannot find it in the FAQ or
their online Help.

I am open to constructive suggestions or if someone has the answer it
would be much appreciated.

Hope everyone has a great holiday!
(Have much fun but B safe!)

PS if this is not the correct group, if possible please refer me to
the correct group.

Remove 'NOSPAM4METHANX_' from Address;

ICQ 31482972

Question: Behind Proxy Server - Must Map link - Need chat Server Name

Post by Jim » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:12:43

12/18/2001  6:58 PM

MSN personnel just got back to me on a question simmillar but 4 the
chatrooms and they told me to map a bidirectional UDP port6667  but
unfortunately did not tell me what server to direct the map to....If U
or any1 finds out could they post the info here please.

Hope I answered part of the Q
-Jim-

Quote:>Anyone contemplating MSN-Broadband click here<

[...]

Post by Sandi Hardmeier MV » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:41:28

Quote:> Good evening,

> This is the firt time I've posted to this group so please let me know
> if my question is outside the scope of the groups charter.

> I am trying to map a link though my proxy server so that I can use the
> MSN chat rooms via IE6 (not MSN messenger).  I have contacted MS
> Support and they gave me the following info;

> I must open port 6667 and it has to be a BiDirectional UDP.

> This is only half of the info my proxy program requires to map this
> link...It requires the server name.   MS support does not seem to
> wanna give me this simple info and I cannot find it in the FAQ or
> their online Help.

The answer should be stored in your system's registry - most likely here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService

--
MVP Award
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.
Sandi ...
Microsoft MVP (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/index.htm

Question: Behind Proxy Server - Must Map link - Need chat Server Name

Post by Sandi Hardmeier MV » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:36:10

Quote:> Good evening,

> This is the firt time I've posted to this group so please let me know
> if my question is outside the scope of the groups charter.

> I am trying to map a link though my proxy server so that I can use the
> MSN chat rooms via IE6 (not MSN messenger).  I have contacted MS
> Support and they gave me the following info;

> I must open port 6667 and it has to be a BiDirectional UDP.

> This is only half of the info my proxy program requires to map this
> link...It requires the server name.   MS support does not seem to
> wanna give me this simple info and I cannot find it in the FAQ or
> their online Help.

You may also find something here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/

--
MVP Award
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.
Sandi ...
Microsoft MVP (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/index.htm

1. FS2K Real Weather Behind Proxy Server...

I'm using Flight Simulator 2000 Professional from behind a firewall
and proxy server and receive "HTTP error 407" when I try to select
real weather.  Is there a magic setting somewhere?  Does FS2K use the
MSIE settings?  Would it have trouble with MSIE being set to use a
proxy auto-config script (javascript)??

Thanks,
Brad Berson
brad dot berson at rectaltronics dot com
http://rectaltronics.com

2. Custom Expression

3. does Pro Controller work behind a proxy server

4. Does this microphone work w/ VTD?

5. Unable to Login to MSN Services When Client is Behind Proxy Server

6. Add/Remove Programs icon does not open

7. HELP! Cannot connect behind - NetCache Proxy Server

8. Whether to allow client to make changes?

9. Can't send Outlook Express Email from behind MS Proxy Server 2.0

10. Messenger voice chat via a proxy server

11. mapping sites thru proxy server

12. Messenger, Proxy Server 2 and ISA Server

13. Proxy Name Service, Parent Proxy Name Service and GNS