Will I lose my contact list if i reinstall the msn messenger?

Will I lose my contact list if i reinstall the msn messenger?

Post by Beverl » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:16:49

I recently updated msn messenger to 5.0 and have had
problems ever since.  For instance, the only emoticon that
shows up in my chat window is the heart.  When i wrote to
the help or assistance part of msn messenger they said to
uninstall and reinstall it.  I dont wanna do that if
possible.  My question is this:  Will I lose my contact
list if i reinstall it?  I have quite a few contacts and
it would take alot of time to rewrite them in. If someone
out there in *land has the answer to this one, please
please send it to me!  Thank you for your help!

Will I lose my contact list if i reinstall the msn messenger?

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:38:09

Greetings Beverly,

I'm not quite sure why this would happen (your emoticon issue), unless you've been modifying
them with third-party "patches" to change the emoticons.  If you reinstall Messenger, you
will not loose your contact list -- the list is store on the server (as is your other
Passport settings, like your MSN profile, etc.).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Messenger Resources - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> I recently updated msn messenger to 5.0 and have had
> problems ever since.  For instance, the only emoticon that
> shows up in my chat window is the heart.  When i wrote to
> the help or assistance part of msn messenger they said to
> uninstall and reinstall it.  I dont wanna do that if
> possible.  My question is this:  Will I lose my contact
> list if i reinstall it?  I have quite a few contacts and
> it would take alot of time to rewrite them in. If someone
> out there in *land has the answer to this one, please
> please send it to me!  Thank you for your help!

1. Lost My Contacts in MSN Messenger

This evening I tried several times to log onto the MSN
Messenger Service but was unable to connect for about 4
hours. There was no problem with my internet connection
because I could get logged into the net and I could get to
the MSN.ca homepage and I could also connect to Hotmail.
When I finally did connect to MSN Messenger imagine my
shock to find out my contacts list was empty. Is there
someplace where this list is stored so I can restore my
contacts? I've tried readding names a couple of times, but
when I reopen the IM the list is once again empty.

2. Advice needed on HP932C and DOS/Linux

3. MSN lost contact lists again

4. os2 SMP - what's tha

5. Lost contact list in msn messager

6. making money the way the pros do

7. MSN Messenger contact list doesn't show me online when i am

8. File transfer between Win95 and NT?

9. msn messenger contact list

10. MSN Messenger From web - How to get online status of NON-IN-LIST contacts

11. MSN Messenger - connects rarely, and deletes contact list!

12. MSN Messenger Contact List FIX

13. MSN Messenger - Contact List