Can anybody explain...

Post by Bria » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:34:15

why settings in Microsoft Windows appear to randonly change?

Over and over in this newsgroup we hear people describe apparently
spontaneous changes in configuration requiring resetting some default or
other.

I have personally experienced this seemingly random parameter shift in
Windows and am at a loss to understand the mechanism..

I know that if such behaviour was found in a Linux installation, it would be
torn down and examined until the fault was found and corrected but with
Windows, users just reset what was once set and then unset.

I understand this particular problem is also manifest in XP installations.

Anybody know what's happening?

8^)

Best regards,

Brian
Linux Mystic
open sorcerer

Can anybody explain...

Post by Sori » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:12:26

Any program you run on your machine can change some "parameters" if enough
permissions granted (i.e. runned as Administrator). (That is so in Unix
too).

If you use too many third party programs (even if you only download them to
check them out), there may be a chance that is not Windows or Microsoft
software who change the "parameters", but your unknown programs.

The thing that makes me think so is that I only use first-party (Microsoft)
software (beside the driver for my mobile-phone modem) (on my primary
computer), and I never encountered such behaviours. (However I do tests on
several programs on an older test machine, and yes, there problems occured
from time to time because of some desktop-management, or antiviruses
programs I installed...)

--
Sorin

Quote:> why settings in Microsoft Windows appear to randonly change?

> Over and over in this newsgroup we hear people describe apparently
> spontaneous changes in configuration requiring resetting some default or
> other.

> I have personally experienced this seemingly random parameter shift in
> Windows and am at a loss to understand the mechanism..

> I know that if such behaviour was found in a Linux installation, it would
be
> torn down and examined until the fault was found and corrected but with
> Windows, users just reset what was once set and then unset.

> I understand this particular problem is also manifest in XP installations.

> Anybody know what's happening?

> 8^)

> Best regards,

> Brian
> Linux Mystic
> open sorcerer

Can anybody explain...

Post by Jim » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:53:28

In the past few weeks I've removed windows XP from two of my systems and from three of my customers.  In all cases XP's inability to retain settings, especially screen (windows) settings and sizes, was a reason near the top of the list.

-Jim-

[...]

Post by moosensquirre » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:51:57

Random 'shifting' has been around for quite a while and seems to get shiftier with each minor MS upgrade. All the software companies out there write code with the intent purpose to 'break' Windows and all the hardware manufacturers built there equipment to make MS look 'bad'..  Everybody is bullying MS.   LOL

why settings in Microsoft Windows appear to randonly change?

Over and over in this newsgroup we hear people describe apparently
spontaneous changes in configuration requiring resetting some default or
other.

I have personally experienced this seemingly random parameter shift in
Windows and am at a loss to understand the mechanism..

I know that if such behaviour was found in a Linux installation, it would be
torn down and examined until the fault was found and corrected but with
Windows, users just reset what was once set and then unset.

I understand this particular problem is also manifest in XP installations.

Anybody know what's happening?

8^)

Best regards,

Brian
Linux Mystic
open sorcerer

1. can anybody explain ....??

Dear friends,
          I have some doubts,Please explain the following things works.

1)GDT (Global Descriptor Table).
2)LDT (Local Descriptor Table).
3)IDT (Interrupt Descriptor Table).

         Please Explain indetail the above topics.
Thanks in advance.
Prasad Rao.

2. Aims & Assumptions of AI Research???

3. Can anybody explain..??

4. Windows NT service

5. Can anybody explain this strange result?

6. Help with WaveRunner and Chameleon

7. Anybody can explain this? (DCS2)

8. Our HP 9000/712 won't boot up - auto-exec file can't be found.

9. explain EXPLAIN?

10. Explaining explain ...

11. canned

12. IGN says xbox is cancelled / being canned? hoax?

13. X10 & Track Lighting Cans