How to unintall MSN???

Post by Don_JV4 » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:32:18

I'm trying to rid myself of MSN, but cannot find the uninstall program on
one of my computers.
I'm running Win-ME, IE6 and MSN 5.2.
In the MSN program folder there was what looked like a DOS program named
MSNUNINST.EXE, but it didn't do anything.

Please help me!   I want that butterfly out of  my life!!!

Thanks

Don

--

How to unintall MSN???

Post by Jim » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:49:35

Have you tried Control Panel | Add/Remove?

It's not easy to get rid of msn.  Last summer I tested uninstalling MSN and then AOL.  MSN won in that they only left 40 some mentions of themselves on my system after an uninstall wherein AOL left 60(?)

Just start going through your directory tree, using windows explorer, and deleting any mention of msn.  Then use Regedit and 'find' mention(s) of it in the register and you can delete most of them - caution is the key there though.
-Jim-

  I'm trying to rid myself of MSN, but cannot find the uninstall program on
  one of my computers.
  I'm running Win-ME, IE6 and MSN 5.2.
  In the MSN program folder there was what looked like a DOS program named
  MSNUNINST.EXE, but it didn't do anything.

  Please help me!   I want that butterfly out of  my life!!!

  Thanks

  Don

  --

How to unintall MSN???

Post by Don_JV4 » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:12:09

One computer had an Add/Remove entry but the other does not.
I was hoping not to have to do the 'grunt' method.

Thanks

Don

--

[...]

Post by RSF » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:26:48

To remove MSN and then use a DUN to connect to MSN do the following.

Msn needs to be present and unaltered for it to be turned off.

1. Click on the finger, options, turn off

2. Delete all connectoids in the Dial Up Networking folder
 - Note: it would be wise prior to deletion to write down the MSn phone
numbers

3. Use the Internet Connection
Wizard(Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications) to create a new
connectoid.. Note The location may be different on your machine's startmenu
if present..if not the find the file in Windows Explorer or My computer..
filename is icwconn1.exe. Do not name it MSN.

4. Right click IE icon on desktop/properties/connections
    - make the new connection the default, and check 'Always dial the
default connection'
    - click on "Settings", ensure that MSN/username and password are correct
in dial up settings.

5. Use the new connectoid to connect to Msn until your new isp is
functional...once Msn is cancelled..IE icon/properties/connections/click on
connectoid created above/Remove.

6. If still present, Remove the balance of Msn items from the startup
folder.

HTH

Bob

Quote:> I'm trying to rid myself of MSN, but cannot find the uninstall program on
> one of my computers.
> I'm running Win-ME, IE6 and MSN 5.2.
> In the MSN program folder there was what looked like a DOS program named
> MSNUNINST.EXE, but it didn't do anything.

> Please help me!   I want that butterfly out of  my life!!!

> Thanks

> Don

> --

How to unintall MSN???

Post by ...winsto » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:37:00

For ME..You'll need to hack the registry or use Tweak UI to hide the icon..
 ..winston

I'm trying to rid myself of MSN, but cannot find the uninstall program on
one of my computers.
I'm running Win-ME, IE6 and MSN 5.2.
In the MSN program folder there was what looked like a DOS program named
MSNUNINST.EXE, but it didn't do anything.

Please help me!   I want that butterfly out of  my life!!!

Thanks

Don

--

How to unintall MSN???

Post by Dave Urba » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:45:40

What is a "connectiod"? Dave.

> To remove MSN and then use a DUN to connect to MSN do the following.

> Msn needs to be present and unaltered for it to be turned off.

> 1. Click on the finger, options, turn off

> 2. Delete all connectoids in the Dial Up Networking folder
>  - Note: it would be wise prior to deletion to write down the MSn phone
> numbers

> 3. Use the Internet Connection
> Wizard(Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications) to create a new
> connectoid.. Note The location may be different on your machine's
startmenu
> if present..if not the find the file in Windows Explorer or My computer..
> filename is icwconn1.exe. Do not name it MSN.

> 4. Right click IE icon on desktop/properties/connections
>     - make the new connection the default, and check 'Always dial the
> default connection'
>     - click on "Settings", ensure that MSN/username and password are
correct
> in dial up settings.

> 5. Use the new connectoid to connect to Msn until your new isp is
> functional...once Msn is cancelled..IE icon/properties/connections/click
on
> connectoid created above/Remove.

> 6. If still present, Remove the balance of Msn items from the startup
> folder.

> HTH

> Bob

> > I'm trying to rid myself of MSN, but cannot find the uninstall program
on
> > one of my computers.
> > I'm running Win-ME, IE6 and MSN 5.2.
> > In the MSN program folder there was what looked like a DOS program named
> > MSNUNINST.EXE, but it didn't do anything.

> > Please help me!   I want that butterfly out of  my life!!!

> > Thanks

> > Don

> > --

How to unintall MSN???

Post by Tom » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:25:20

It's one of the icons when you go to My Computer/ Dial-Up Networking.

Tom