trying to sign in with a different address

trying to sign in with a different address

Post by kendl » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:19:30

my messenger wont let me change the email address you sign
in under.  i have 5.0 and it wont let me use an older
version because of something to do with msn internet.
i've read other post that are having the same problem as
me, but none of their ways of fixing it worked.  no box
comes up asking for an address or password, when i
click 'sign in' it automatically signs in.  how can i fix
this???

trying to sign in with a different address

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:50:49

Greetings,

You mentioned you were using MSN Internet, which I assume you then have MSN 8/Explorer
installed.  Whenever you're signed into MSN 8, MSN Messenger 5 will automatically sign you in
(even if you Sign Out and then Sign In again it will).  As such, simply sign into MSN
8/Explorer using the other account (if you need to add it, log into MSN 8 using your main MSN
account, click Help & Settings, choose Settings, choose Member Accounts & Billing then Add

Otherwise, the easiest way to get Messenger signed into a different account is to just use a
different Messenger client that supports the .NET Messenger network.  An example of a (free)
client that does this is Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc) or using Windows Messenger
(Windows XP only).

There are some other "tricks" you could use instead, like establishing a Dial-Up Networking
session (assuming you're using MSN Dialup) instead of using MSN 8/Explorer to sign in, but I
won't go mentioning that here at this point.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> my messenger wont let me change the email address you sign
> in under.  i have 5.0 and it wont let me use an older
> version because of something to do with msn internet.
> i've read other post that are having the same problem as
> me, but none of their ways of fixing it worked.  no box
> comes up asking for an address or password, when i
> click 'sign in' it automatically signs in.  how can i fix
> this???

1. Two sign ins required

I have recently upgraded to MSN 5.0 on Windows 98 (on a laptop).  I had no
problems signing in with my previous version of messenger using many
different connection types (ADSL, modem, LAN, firewall and no firewall).  I
am now experiencing an annoying bug with the sign in process.  If I ask
messenger to remember my password I am never able to sign in.  However if I
sign in with out the "remember my password" box ticked twice in a row, after
the second attempt I am able to sign in.  I have checked my date and time,
checked the case of my password, changed my password, changed my firewall
settings (so I had no firewall at all) and none of these changed the
situation.

Any help would be great

Mark

2. mp3 playing code needed for visual c++ game

3. cannot sign in to messenger with a different passport

4. How to switch on computer system?

5. signing in as different user

6. *HUNTER* FIX now available!

7. Can't Sign In on Different Computer

8. Linear regression sign. different from zero

9. Everytime i try to sign in MSN messenger it freezes, please help

10. Messenger trying to sign on

11. Instant Messenger tries to sign on when not connected

12. MSN pops up when I try to sign on to my ISP