pop up adds

Post by gianpier » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:49:48

Hi guys,
since I downloades the latest version of microsoft
messenger, I started to receive those popup adds with the
title Messenger Service; with all kind of address where
to go and stop those adds.
I don't want to go there and check, I don't know what can
happen.
Does anyone know how to stop those adds from coming up?
Thanks

pop up adds

Post by Gary Tsan » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:19:56

For Messenger Service ads:
You need to install or enable a firewall:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904

Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve the
real problem.

The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom of a larger
issue.  The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
computer.

Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.  You would need a
firewall that controls the traffic.

The above solution will not work if you have AOL as is not compatible with
Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).  If you have AOL, you should
contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party firewall.

Disable Messenger Service:
Start/Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services.
Go down to "Messenger".
Right click "Messenger" and select Properties.
Hit the Stop Button under Service Status section
Then under Start-up select DISABLE
Click OK and follow prompts

Check this link:
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Or
http://spybot.eon.net.au/

For internet pop-ups, try one of these:
http://www.panicware.com/
http://www.bysoft.se/sureshot/stopthepop/index.html
http://www.popupbuster.com/PopUpBuster/
http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/
http://www.endpopups.com/
http://www.adshield.org/

--
Gary Tsang

Quote:> Hi guys,
> since I downloades the latest version of microsoft
> messenger, I started to receive those popup adds with the
> title Messenger Service; with all kind of address where
> to go and stop those adds.
> I don't want to go there and check, I don't know what can
> happen.
> Does anyone know how to stop those adds from coming up?
> Thanks

1. POP-UPS, LOSE OF CONNECTION, LOCK-UPS, MESSENGER

HIGH

IS THIER ANY WAY OF STOPPING ALL THE POP-UPS AND
DOWNLOADING THAT HAPPENS? I HAD SEARCHED FOR A CAR AND
FOUND AN ADDRESS ON THE WEB THAT SEEMED INTERESTING. I
CLICKED ON IT BEGAN TO REVIEW THE INFORMATION AND OTHER
SCREENS STARTED APPEARING. HOW CAN I STOP THESE OR AT
LEAST REQUIRE A QUESTION IF I WANT TO LOAD IT??? I HAVE A
266 COMPUTER, I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 98, EXPLORER 6.0 AND
MSN 8 BUT THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN LOCKING-UP SEVERELY WHEN I
GET OBTO THE WEB, ANY SUGGESTS?? OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS I
CAN BE WORKING ON THE WEB AND GET A "SORRY YOU HAVE BEEN
DISCONNECTED, DO YOU WANT TO RECONNECT"? I NEVER GOT THESE
BEFORE, IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MSN?? MESSRNGER HASN'Y
WORKED SINCE I UPGRADED TO MSN 8 ABOUT 6 MONTHD AGO WHAT
IF ANYTHING CAN I DO??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE

2. Need Suggestions for Content Editing Platform, DBMS, and Tools

3. Cool XBOX Site No Pop-Ups

4. O2's with Irix 6.3 and random/hangs of the system.

5. Date Pop-ups

6. Hydlide 3

7. -- Post 120,000 Pop Ups /hr - Pc 2 PC New V.

8. Util to catch pop-ups??

9. Anyone familiar w/ JAVA pop-ups?

10. how to stop pop ups

11. Pop-ups in Windows XP (home) using Messenger Service!

12. MESSENEGR POP-UPS