MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

Post by David Leo » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:27:48

Hi, I have a Windows XP Pro system and "upgraded" Windows Messenger 4.7 to
MSN Messenger 5.0. I did this through an update alert in the bottom right
corner of the screen and Messenger 5 just doesn't seem as integrated as the
Windows Messenger version. Is there a particular reason for this? Why would
Windows Messenger update to MSN Messenger in the first place?

Whenever I start MSN Explorer, it still uses Windows Messenger. This is
depressing, MSN is getting really confusing with thier products now. Can
anyone explain any of this to me? I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance.

David Leon

MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:53:59

Greetings David,

Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger are now separate applications -- so although it said it
was an update, it really wasn't a true upgrade.

All the Windows XP applications (Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, etc.) will still call upon
Windows Messenger -- however, if you are a paid subscriber to MSN, you can upgrade to MSN 8,
which does use MSN Messenger 5.

However, you may just want to uninstall MSN Messenger 5 (click Start, then Control Panel,
then Add or Remove Programs, then click 'MSN Messenger 5' and then choose 'Remove') and all
should be back to normal.  As well, you shouldn't be seeing anymore "upgrade" messages to MSN
Messenger 5, as these have been stopped.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> Hi, I have a Windows XP Pro system and "upgraded" Windows Messenger 4.7 to
> MSN Messenger 5.0. I did this through an update alert in the bottom right
> corner of the screen and Messenger 5 just doesn't seem as integrated as the
> Windows Messenger version. Is there a particular reason for this? Why would
> Windows Messenger update to MSN Messenger in the first place?

> Whenever I start MSN Explorer, it still uses Windows Messenger. This is
> depressing, MSN is getting really confusing with thier products now. Can
> anyone explain any of this to me? I'm completely lost.

> Thanks in advance.

> David Leon

1. Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

I have new fresh copy of Windows XP Pro & Have Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN
Messenger 5.0 installed.When ever I boot up I get online messages from my
friends even though I don't have either messenger set to run when windows
start. I went into control panel admin tools services & disabled messenger
but when I still boot up it runs & I have a port scanner to monitor all my
ports & says connected to bayxx.hotmail.com, when I start either messenger &
exit then its off. How can I make it so no messenger boots form start up
till I run it?

2. wrong response header for all .aspx pages in asp.net samples

3. MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger 4.7

4. Posting doesn't belong . . .

5. Video between Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 4.6 and 5.0

6. Direct member deleted

7. Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

8. Word Pro Help window will not die...HELP!!!

9. Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

10. MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity

11. MSN Messenger API changes from 4.7 to 5.0

12. MSN Messenger 5.0 not compatible with 4.7 Interop DLL?

13. How to remove Win Messenger 4.7 and install MSN Mes 5.0