FAO JONATHON K - Messenger logged in else where

FAO JONATHON K - Messenger logged in else where

Post by Andrew » Fri, 30 May 2003 00:09:30

Hi J!

Ok, i have v 5.0 installed. This loads up (is on my
taskbar) when my pc boots up. great.

Ive made sure the older version (4.7) has all the UNTICKED
boxes for loading up, and connect etc.

However, as soon as i connect to the web, my 5.0 becomes
active (as i want) and looks fine.  Just as i send a msg,
it says im logged out as im logged on elsewhere with my
pasport.

So now, my 5.0 is shut down, but from another computer i
can see that i am online!?!

I read one of your earlier posts about removing 4.7 from
the Control pannel, but the same happens.

It as if a 3rd passport is logging me in, but not showing
itsself.

PLEASEEEEE help me j!

Andrew G!

Waiting for help.

FAO JONATHON K - Messenger logged in else where

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 30 May 2003 00:13:35

Hi Andy,

Do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?  Norton added a new "instant messaging scanning"
feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger 4.7 and keep it running
in the background.  To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Hi J!

> Ok, i have v 5.0 installed. This loads up (is on my
> taskbar) when my pc boots up. great.

> Ive made sure the older version (4.7) has all the UNTICKED
> boxes for loading up, and connect etc.

> However, as soon as i connect to the web, my 5.0 becomes
> active (as i want) and looks fine.  Just as i send a msg,
> it says im logged out as im logged on elsewhere with my
> pasport.

> So now, my 5.0 is shut down, but from another computer i
> can see that i am online!?!

> I read one of your earlier posts about removing 4.7 from
> the Control pannel, but the same happens.

> It as if a 3rd passport is logging me in, but not showing
> itsself.

> PLEASEEEEE help me j!

> Andrew G!

> Waiting for help.

1. FAO Jonathon - Slight Freezing on v5.0

Hi J.

When im typing an instant message in the V5.0 messenger.
It will "freeze" or Pause my computer.  This will stop me
from typing, but after 2 seconds it catches up.

This only happens when in instant messaging. It used to be
all the time with v4.7.

When i press Ctrl, Alt Delete and get the  windows task
manager up, under performance, i can se it jump from 8% to
100% as it pauses.  Its about every 12 seconds, and
freezes for 2 seconds.

Any Advice.

Thanks.

Andrew G.

2. Sculpt Animate 4D

3. FAO: Jonathan Kay - Windows Messenger 5

4. ADV: gInstall: Red Army Day Price crash!

5. MSN or Windows Messenger Add-ins Programming

6. Need communication prog. info

7. windows messenger add-ins ... help!!!!

8. (no subject)

9. Remove add-ins/email from messenger

10. Save LOG Clear LOG Save LOG ...

11. Messenger prevents user from log off in Terminal Server Session

12. MSN Messenger prevents user from log off in Terminal Server Session

13. Unable to log on to MSN Messenger