My msn.com account is still active?

Post by eyebi » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:20:03

I cancelled my msn account back in May, however, after installing MSN
Explorer a few days ago I have noticed that I am still able to get into my
old account to access email etc.. How can this be? Are past subscribers
allowed to use their old email address? Have I inadvertently re-subscribed
to the service simply by logging in? Thanks for any help.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by Jim » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:02:18

MSN screws the pooch on cancellations all the time.  Just be sure they don't try to ding ya for service past your cancel date - they very well may try.  I have a account that's been canceled for months that I can still access.  You ask if you have inadvertently signed up again - you're dealing with MSN, so who can tell.
-Jim-

  I cancelled my msn account back in May, however, after installing MSN
  Explorer a few days ago I have noticed that I am still able to get into my
  old account to access email etc.. How can this be? Are past subscribers
  allowed to use their old email address? Have I inadvertently re-subscribed
  to the service simply by logging in? Thanks for any help.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by eyebi » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:18:50

Thank you, Jim. I have yet to be charged for service since cancelling six months ago (whew!) so it would be maddening to see any now. I will keep an eagle eye out, however.

  MSN screws the pooch on cancellations all the time.  Just be sure they don't try to ding ya for service past your cancel date - they very well may try.  I have a account that's been canceled for months that I can still access.  You ask if you have inadvertently signed up again - you're dealing with MSN, so who can tell.
  -Jim-

    I cancelled my msn account back in May, however, after installing MSN
    Explorer a few days ago I have noticed that I am still able to get into my
    old account to access email etc.. How can this be? Are past subscribers
    allowed to use their old email address? Have I inadvertently re-subscribed
    to the service simply by logging in? Thanks for any help.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by Mike » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:32:04

I cancelled my long time MSN account 1 month ago.  I can no longer dial in
and attempts to check my account info at supportservices says the account
does not exist.  My account can still send and receive e-mail though.  I had
converted it to web-based 1 year ago.  It is quite possible that the e-mail
service remains active since MSN offers free web-based e-mail.  I take it as
a bonus.

Quote:> I cancelled my msn account back in May, however, after installing MSN
> Explorer a few days ago I have noticed that I am still able to get into my
> old account to access email etc.. How can this be? Are past subscribers
> allowed to use their old email address? Have I inadvertently re-subscribed
> to the service simply by logging in? Thanks for any help.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by Bob » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:31:56

Hello,  did you bother to read the part about installing MSN Explorer.  If "eyebix" was using Explorer then his mail is web based and can still be accessed through MSN Explorer or Hotmail.  This has nothing to do with "screwing the pooch", it simply allows the customer to continue to use the web based email service.  Youre always so quick to condemn and criticize MSN that you showed everyone that you obviously don't know what you're talking about in this instance.  Of course I'm sure you'll find a way to twist this around to something negative MSN, but who cares, its just the wind blowing. eoc

  MSN screws the pooch on cancellations all the time.  Just be sure they don't try to ding ya for service past your cancel date - they very well may try.  I have a account that's been canceled for months that I can still access.  You ask if you have inadvertently signed up again - you're dealing with MSN, so who can tell.
  -Jim-

    I cancelled my msn account back in May, however, after installing MSN
    Explorer a few days ago I have noticed that I am still able to get into my
    old account to access email etc.. How can this be? Are past subscribers
    allowed to use their old email address? Have I inadvertently re-subscribed
    to the service simply by logging in? Thanks for any help.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by Jim » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:48:10

No - I won't.  You twisted it enough already.
-Jim-

[...]

Post by Bob » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:55:53

LOL, now that makes absolutely no sense at all, but then again thats the way the majority of your Anti-MSN posts are - senseless and inane.  If you hurry you can make it to the dayroom to get your med's, they appear to have worn off.

[...]

Post by Bob » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:57:25

You're right, and I would imagine if you contacted Tech Support and had them
check the would tell you that it's listed as a Free Account.

> I cancelled my long time MSN account 1 month ago.  I can no longer dial in
> and attempts to check my account info at supportservices says the account
> does not exist.  My account can still send and receive e-mail though.  I
had
> converted it to web-based 1 year ago.  It is quite possible that the
e-mail
> service remains active since MSN offers free web-based e-mail.  I take it
as
> a bonus.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by val » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:36:36

bob, (cute choice of ID)
"did you bother...."
(as you are so quick to accuse others....)
"to read the part about" -
"I cancelled my msn account.....have I inadvertently resubscribed simply by logging in?"

perhaps your wrath might be more effectively directed by addressing the posters' question.
Otherwise, it's obvious useless swill.

[...]

Post by val » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:37:39

and "imagine" is exactly what it's worth.

> You're right, and I would imagine if you contacted Tech Support and had them
> check the would tell you that it's listed as a Free Account.

> > I cancelled my long time MSN account 1 month ago.  I can no longer dial in
> > and attempts to check my account info at supportservices says the account
> > does not exist.  My account can still send and receive e-mail though.  I
> had
> > converted it to web-based 1 year ago.  It is quite possible that the
> e-mail
> > service remains active since MSN offers free web-based e-mail.  I take it
> as
> > a bonus.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by Paul Britto » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:39:05

Hello Mike,

   That is the case...you only loose the ability to dial up to the MSN/IA network.  Your account simply reverts to 'free' in a database.  This function also allows 'free' users to upgrade to 'paid' at any time....and I mean any time literally.  (will post about that in a min)

Paul

> I cancelled my long time MSN account 1 month ago.  I can no longer dial in
> and attempts to check my account info at supportservices says the account
> does not exist.  My account can still send and receive e-mail though.  I had
> converted it to web-based 1 year ago.  It is quite possible that the e-mail
> service remains active since MSN offers free web-based e-mail.  I take it as
> a bonus.

> > I cancelled my msn account back in May, however, after installing MSN
> > Explorer a few days ago I have noticed that I am still able to get into my
> > old account to access email etc.. How can this be? Are past subscribers
> > allowed to use their old email address? Have I inadvertently re-subscribed
> > to the service simply by logging in? Thanks for any help.

My msn.com account is still active?

Post by Bob » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:46:15

Wow, amazing, what would the "cute choice of id"  be? And I believe the posters issues were answered also, so its definately not obvious useless swill. Unlike your posting, which didnt even try to address the poster's issue or question. eoc

[...]

Post by Jim » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 02:49:45

Yes it is -  Do you feel better now that you have taken his words and transformed them into your own - simply reiterating what he said?  Ya - you do.  You always feel your words are better that the original.
-Jim-

     That is the case...

1. Need incoming MSN http server name for an @msn.com email account, please...

I want to retrieve it into Outlook Express 6 and I know I have read this information here many times before.  I had saved a number of helpful newsgroup postings, but...I had to replace my hard drive last weekend and start all over from scratch with a fresh Windows NT install.  I foolishly had not backed up my email and newsgroup accounts to .iaf files and have to set them up again manually.

The account in question is an http account, originally created as a sub-account off my husband's MSN primary account several years ago.  He uses the MSN explorer (different computer) and I couldn't find the server name in that although it must be buried there somewhere.

I use a different ISP but I still get some email I want through that msn.com account.  My single hotmail account was easy to set up in OE 6 as were the POP 3 accounts I have from my ISP.

Microsoft must really not want you to do this...the name is sure hard to find.  I have just spent 4 hours searching on Google and also the Microsoft site looking for this information and all I can seem to find are the server names for setting up a POP 3 MSN account, which doesn't apply here.  I probably just didn't hit the right combination of keywords to search for.  Incidentally, I got through to the Office 2000 registration/activation code people and got a new code almost instantly during the Superbowl.  You gotta time these things just right!  Just do it when the rest of the people in the country are watching TV!

If someone can tell me the name I promise to back it ALL up once I'm done with this process.

Thank you in advance,

Maria
On day 5 of the great Everett, Washington computer disaster...

2. VMS security failures

3. msn explorer without msn.com account

4. Help - iPAQ e-mail problem.

5. All mail to my msn.com email account bounces...

6. Need of user level threads

7. Closing my @MSN.com account

8. AD Issues w/ 9x Clients

9. Worm hits Passport SQL Servers storing info for msn.com accounts?

10. server @msn.com account

11. Close a free e-mail account with msn.com

12. account @msn.com

13. no button to change password in @msn.com email accounts !