Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Maik Bischof » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:55:15

Hello NG,

I would like to use Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN
Messenger 5.0 on my PC at the same time. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

Rgds,

Maik

Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:39:46

Greetings Maik,

Assuming you're using Windows XP (which I assume you are since you mentioned 4.7 -- assuming
also that Reuters version is the same as the official MS versions), you should be able to use
both.  On previous versions of Windows however, you'll probably only be able to use version
or the other.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Hello NG,

> I would like to use Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN
> Messenger 5.0 on my PC at the same time. Is this possible?

> Thanks for your help.

> Rgds,

> Maik

Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Maik Bischof » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:22:01

Hello Jonathan,

sorry, I'm using Windows 2000.

When I install Reuters Messenger 4.7 and doesn't log off
or reboot, both Messengers work fine. After login or
reboot only the MSN Messenger 5.0 is working. :-(

Any idea?

Rgds,

Maik

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings Maik,

>Assuming you're using Windows XP (which I assume you are

since you mentioned 4.7 -- assuming
Quote:>also that Reuters version is the same as the official MS

versions), you should be able to use
Quote:>both.  On previous versions of Windows however, you'll

probably only be able to use version
>or the other.
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert

>> Hello NG,

>> I would like to use Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN
>> Messenger 5.0 on my PC at the same time. Is this
possible?

>> Thanks for your help.

>> Rgds,

>> Maik

>.

Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:35:12

Hi Maik,

I don't have access to Reuters Messenger, so I'm really not sure -- but I'm betting they
probably share some components which after you reboot, are rewritten with 5.0 versions.

If you uninstall MSN Messenger 5, and then install Reuters Messenger, then reboot, does it
work then?
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> Hello Jonathan,

> sorry, I'm using Windows 2000.

> When I install Reuters Messenger 4.7 and doesn't log off
> or reboot, both Messengers work fine. After login or
> reboot only the MSN Messenger 5.0 is working. :-(

> Any idea?

> Rgds,

> Maik

Post by Maik Bischof » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:55:59

Hi Jonathan,

yes, Reuters Messenger (alone) works fine. I think the
customize this version because it is only possible to add
persons that are registered for Reuters Messenger. :-(

I will contact Reuters now and if you like, I will tell
you the "end of the story".

Thank you very much.

Rgds,

Maik

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Maik,

>I don't have access to Reuters Messenger, so I'm really

not sure -- but I'm betting they
Quote:>probably share some components which after you reboot,

are rewritten with 5.0 versions.
Quote:

>If you uninstall MSN Messenger 5, and then install

Reuters Messenger, then reboot, does it
>work then?
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert

>> Hello Jonathan,

>> sorry, I'm using Windows 2000.

>> When I install Reuters Messenger 4.7 and doesn't log off
>> or reboot, both Messengers work fine. After login or
>> reboot only the MSN Messenger 5.0 is working. :-(

>> Any idea?

>> Rgds,

>> Maik

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:06:35

Hi Maik,

Yeah, I'd like to hear what they have to say.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> Hi Jonathan,

> yes, Reuters Messenger (alone) works fine. I think the
> customize this version because it is only possible to add
> persons that are registered for Reuters Messenger. :-(

> I will contact Reuters now and if you like, I will tell
> you the "end of the story".

> Thank you very much.

> Rgds,

> Maik

Post by Andrew Boardman [MS » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:58:05

Maik,

This is much more likely to work on Windows XP than on Windows 2000.  I
wouldn't personally expect it to work on Win2k at all.

I'm a little suprised that MSN Messenger 5.0 doesn't install over it, to be
honest.

-- Andrew

Post by Andrew Boardman [MS » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:26:33

Maik,

This is much more likely to work on Windows XP than on Windows 2000.  I
wouldn't personally expect it to work on Win2k at all.

I'm a little suprised that MSN Messenger 5.0 doesn't install over it, to be
honest.

-- Andrew

Quote:> Hello NG,

> I would like to use Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN
> Messenger 5.0 on my PC at the same time. Is this possible?

> Thanks for your help.

> Rgds,

> Maik

1. MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

Hi, I have a Windows XP Pro system and "upgraded" Windows Messenger 4.7 to
MSN Messenger 5.0. I did this through an update alert in the bottom right
corner of the screen and Messenger 5 just doesn't seem as integrated as the
Windows Messenger version. Is there a particular reason for this? Why would
Windows Messenger update to MSN Messenger in the first place?

Whenever I start MSN Explorer, it still uses Windows Messenger. This is
depressing, MSN is getting really confusing with thier products now. Can
anyone explain any of this to me? I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance.

David Leon

2. use fetchmail to deliver mail to local sendmail

3. MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger 4.7

4. DSL voice line degraded quality

5. Video between Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 4.6 and 5.0

6. Problem compiling VIM 5.1 on Red Hat 5.1

7. Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

8. Security Update

9. Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

10. MSN Messenger API changes from 4.7 to 5.0

11. MSN Messenger 5.0 not compatible with 4.7 Interop DLL?

12. How to remove Win Messenger 4.7 and install MSN Mes 5.0

13. MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity