MSN pop-up window

Post by bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:57:21

Hi. I have a friend I'm trying to help who has an MSN
problem. There is this pop-up window that opens
automatically whenever she opens outlook express. This
window is advertising software that pertains to security
in MSN! I deleted the cookies from both "internet options"
and from C:\documents and settings. I did an ad-aware scan
and a virus scan. None of this helped. The security
settings in I.E. are set to medium. This pop-up window
occurs very frequently and annoyingly. Do you have any
ideas I can use to get rid of the pop-up window besides
uninstalling MSN messenger?

thanks,
bob

MSN pop-up window

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:58:32

Greetings Bob,

If these "popups" that appeared had "Messenger Service" in their titlebar, what you're seeing
is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger (which are two
different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor can Microsoft
control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these pop ups,  you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", go to the
Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools (if you're using XP, you may have to click Classic
View on the left). Double-click Services, and Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose disabled and then choose
the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> Hi. I have a friend I'm trying to help who has an MSN
> problem. There is this pop-up window that opens
> automatically whenever she opens outlook express. This
> window is advertising software that pertains to security
> in MSN! I deleted the cookies from both "internet options"
> and from C:\documents and settings. I did an ad-aware scan
> and a virus scan. None of this helped. The security
> settings in I.E. are set to medium. This pop-up window
> occurs very frequently and annoyingly. Do you have any
> ideas I can use to get rid of the pop-up window besides
> uninstalling MSN messenger?

> thanks,
> bob

MSN pop-up window

Post by Jonathan Ka » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:03:17

Hi, Jonathan. As my friend won't be in town for the next
few days, when she returns I'll try your method. It makes
sense. I'll bet it works.

Thanks.
bob

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings Bob,

>If these "popups" that appeared had "Messenger Service"

in their titlebar, what you're seeing
Quote:>is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not*

Windows Messenger (which are two
Quote:>different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this

is not Microsoft, nor can Microsoft
Quote:>control them anymore then they can control spam to your
e-mail inbox.

>To get rid of these pop ups,  you'll need to disable

the "Messenger Service", go to the
Quote:>Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools (if you're

using XP, you may have to click Classic
Quote:>View on the left). Double-click Services, and Scroll

down to "Messenger", select it,
Quote:>right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup

type, choose disabled and then choose
>the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click
OK.
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert

Quote:>> Hi. I have a friend I'm trying to help who has an MSN
>> problem. There is this pop-up window that opens
>> automatically whenever she opens outlook express. This
>> window is advertising software that pertains to
security
>> in MSN! I deleted the cookies from both "internet
options"
>> and from C:\documents and settings. I did an ad-aware
scan
>> and a virus scan. None of this helped. The security
>> settings in I.E. are set to medium. This pop-up window
>> occurs very frequently and annoyingly. Do you have any
>> ideas I can use to get rid of the pop-up window besides
>> uninstalling MSN messenger?

>> thanks,
>> bob

>.

MSN pop-up window

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:07:41

Hi Bob,

It should =).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger