MSN DSL horror story

Post by donna_inma » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:51:34

Im posting this info about my attempt to get dsl,, then my attempt to get
MSN canceled because it seems that MSN has no way for their customers to
talk to anyone with authority,, no managers at all. THere is no way for MSN
employees to check the status of any of there so called escallations. Im
begining to think that there really are not any escallation departments at
all. Take a look at the track record of MSN for dsl on a service like
www.dslreports.com  where actual customers rate there isp services. If
anyone has the names and phone numbers or email addresses of the upper level
management at MSN then please let me have them. Im realy disgusted right
now.

When I contacted Qwest for DSL connectivity they were more then happy to
sign me up with them using MSN as the Internet Provider. (I was never
advised by their sales people that another provider could be used though I
did know from my background that I could have chose anyone).

My home phone line was provisioned with DSL in the 15 business day time
period that was promised by Qwest on the 26th of October. A few days prior
to the 26th I called MSN concerned that I had not received the modem, they
advised the modem is not shipped until the day the line is provisioned. I
received the MSN modem on the 29th.

I installed the external modem but was unable to load the drivers on the
included CD. I contacted there technical support and was advised that
neither one of my operating systems were supported by the modem. My computer
had two Microsoft operating systems on it(dual boot). Microsoft Win2k
Advanced server (the top of the line most expensive one that Microsoft has)
and dual booted with Microsoft WinMe. (their newest version of Windows). I
had to purchase and install Win2k professional and Win98(2nd edition) to
install the drivers. No information was ever provided to me ahead of time
notifying me that MSN could not support there own operating systems. Once
the new operating systems were installed,, I still could not connect.

MSN technical support on the 29th advised me that there was a notation on my
account that it could not be set up because of 'information lacking . I was
advised to call the accounts department. Accounts department advised me that
there had been a question whether or not my address was correct, though
since I received the modem it must have been. She advised she did not have
the ability to change the notation and that she would have to fill out an
escalation request. It would take 24 to 72 hours for it to be resolved. She
said that if I called the cancellation department there was a chance they
could update my account information. She said the escalation was filed.

I contacted cancellation,, the support person made a notation on my account
and advised that the account could now be set up,, to give it a few minuets
then go ahead and connect.

After an hour I called Tech support again, they were unable to find a reason
for the failure to connect and advised they would have to escalate the
problem. I would either have connectivity within 24-72 hours or the
escalation department would contact me. I was advised to keep trying to
connect. On 11-2 I called technical support because I had no connectivity
and no phone call. I was advised that whoever advised me that it would take
24-72 hours should not have. It all depended on how busy they escalation
department was. They wrote up anothe escalation.

I requested a manager and he advised the same thing. He said that he was
unable to provide me with a number to call to check on the status of the
escalation, and he was unable to check on it. He filled out another
escalation request with the highest priority. I tried explaining to him that
it was just my account had not been completely set up,, and he advised his
only way to achieve anything was to escalate it. He did say that it could be
as long as 5 days,, all escalations were supposed to be resolved within 5
days.

From 11-5 to 11-9 I made numerous phone calls with the same results each
time, All they could do was escalate it. No one was able to provide me with
a source to complain to other then the lead technician. I would have to wait
for the escalation.

On either 11-9 or 11-12 after trying all the available phone options to
reach someone that would attempt to help my,, I called the cancellation
department and had them cancel my account and received a cancellation ID
number. I contacted Qwest and advised them I needed to switch to a local ISP
and that I had canceled MSN as my ISP. I was informed I had to wait for the
Qwest computers systems to have the cancellation information because MSN
leased the lines from Qwest. I contacted my choice of local ISP's and filled
out there forms.

On 11-16 I contacted Qwest only to be informed that my cancellation had not
been received. The tech I was talking to asked my permission to call MSN and
act as my wife to find out what had happened, she informed me that MSN would
not release info to Qwest on any accounts. She placed me on hold and after
about 45 min, she came back to let me know that MSN had informed her that
they had received an error in their system trying to cancel my account. They
would escalate the problem.

I called every day from the 17th on to today's date 11-21and was always told
they would escalate the problem because they received errors each time they
tried to cancel. On 11-19 I finally was connected to a lead person after
each phone call I requested to talk to a manager, each other time I was
informed one was not available (aprox 12 times I heard this from each phone
call). The lead person told me she could only file a escalation. I asked her
to let me talk to her manager (she was not a manager, just a senior tech)
She said her manager was not in for the day. I asked her for the name and
number of her managers manager. She advised me she didnt know who that was.
When asked she couldn't provide me with the name or number of any manager to
talk to. She finally told me to hold, she came back on and said she had
talked to her top tech people who told her there was a database error each
time they tried to cancel my account. She said they advised me to contact
Qwest and have them to make any type of change on my account and save the
change then to call her back,, that might get the database to update my
entry allowing the cancellation.

I contacted Qwest and they made some changes, I tried contacting her again.
Each phone call took between 15 min and 45 min of remaining on hold, just to
be told that she was working taking calls and that I could not talk to her.

I contacted Qwest and talked to about 3 levels of managers,, one said she
would contact her management contact with MSN. I had to run some errands and
had a msg on my phone machine stating that the MSN manager had put through
the cancellation and deprovisioning of my line and I would receive a label
to return my modem by 11-26. I was unable to reach the manager so had to
leave a msg. on her answering machine informing her that my line was not to
be deprovisoned,, I didn't want to wait the 15 business days just for it to
be reprovisioned.

I did not receive the mailer on 11-26. I talked to the Qwest mgr today,, she
advised she was going to email the contact mgr at MSN again today and see
what the explaination was. She advised I will get a call from her tomorow,,
she is also specifying that I receive a phone call from the MSN manager (yea
right).  The Qwest mgr is going to see if she can find someone in the Qwest
organisation that can authorise them to just go ahead and switch me to my
local isp that I choose.  Ive been trying to get them to do that for weeks,,
it would take them less then 5 min to do so.

Most of the people that I talked to for MSN really wanted to help, but there
hands were tied due to the structure of MSN, especially having to do with
the escalations. There is no way to talk to management, there is no way to
voice your complaints, there is no way to escalate anything. Once something
is supposedly escalated,, nothing further was ever heard about it, and there
is no way to find out the status of your escalation. There were 2 people at
MSN that I talked to that out right lied to me in what seemed an attempt to
just get me off the phone.

MSN DSL horror story

Post by moosensquirre » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:08:45

My sympathies Donna but you must realise that MSn does not lie. They just have a different vision of the truth as you can see by reading this group.

[...]

From 11-5 to 11-9 I made numerous phone calls with the same results each
[...]

Post by Jim » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:56:39

'Morning Donna -  Ever since the Matt Drudge wannabe here started with the 'msn-dsl is the greatest' crap a few month ago I've been following same because I know/knew that it was bound to be a mess.  As a consequence of that following I've assembled quite a list of links and postings relative thereto.

Start at the following and follow the links:
http://www.urx.com/jforbes/msn_dsl1.htm

We do have a little hope in that the media is beginning to pick up on this.  There have been two articles in the Seattle P-I and I've been contacted by one of those reporters and one other from another, online, news service regarding this fiasco.  There will be more written.
-Jim-

  "donna_inman" <donna_in...@email.msn.com> wrote in message news:OSzXllydBHA.2276@tkmsftngp03...
[...]

  From 11-5 to 11-9 I made numerous phone calls with the same results each
[...]

Post by Jim » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:28:17

Well, it;s nice to have posters confirm - but, PBs statements are usually in the 'so much for' category the instant he hits the send key.
-Jim-

  On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:51:34 -0700, "donna_inman"

  >Most of the people that I talked to for MSN really wanted to help, but there
  >hands were tied due to the structure of MSN, especially having to do with
  >the escalations. There is no way to talk to management, there is no way to
  >voice your complaints, there is no way to escalate anything. Once something
  >is supposedly escalated,, nothing further was ever heard about it, and there
  >is no way to find out the status of your escalation. There were 2 people at
  >MSN that I talked to that out right lied to me in what seemed an attempt to
  >just get me off the phone.

  So much for Paul's advice to another poster regarding msn broadbanc
  support.

  --
  Deb

  For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
  We are Americans, and United we Stand!

MSN DSL horror story

Post by Jim » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:30:01

DebM -  There's no need to apologize for being absolutely correct.
-Jim-

  "DebM"

  At the risk of being branded a conspirator again, it is all too
  reminiscent of the

  "It depends on what the definition of is, is."

MSN DSL horror story

Post by anon » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:50:10

MSN escalations are a sham. Period. MSN lies to it's customers. Period.

I have four escalations going about my own Qwest/MSN DSL problem (see 10/29
thread "The Elusive MSN Broadband...)-- the first is now 11 weeks old, the
second 10 weeks, the third and forth 6 weeks. The problem is not corrected,
I've never been contacted about the status of the problem (customer service
has told me for each I would be contacted within a week), and there's no
visible effort on their part to do anything.

The only redeeming element to my own experience is that I've successfully
dissuaded 6 people from signing up with MSN. The facts speak for themselves.

MSN escalations are a sham. Period. MSN lies to it's customers. Period.

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:51:34 -0700, "donna_inman"

> >Most of the people that I talked to for MSN really wanted to help, but
there
> >hands were tied due to the structure of MSN, especially having to do with
> >the escalations. There is no way to talk to management, there is no way
> >voice your complaints, there is no way to escalate anything. Once
something
> >is supposedly escalated,, nothing further was ever heard about it, and
there
> >is no way to find out the status of your escalation. There were 2 people
at
> >MSN that I talked to that out right lied to me in what seemed an attempt
> >just get me off the phone.

> So much for Paul's advice to another poster regarding msn broadbanc
> support.

> --
> Deb

> For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
> We are Americans, and United we Stand!

MSN DSL horror story

Post by Jim » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:27:18

Sorry to hear about your continuing problems Anon.  You are doing exactly the right thing though by dissuading potential users. In just the past 2 1/2 years I have absolute proof of my dissuasion of over 150 potential msn users (they are clients so I know of their situation first hand) and I can only imagine the # that I've talked against msn to.  200 to 300 more would be a very conservitative estimate.  Others that post to this, and other, NG(s) have similar histories.

Just keep up the good work.
-Jim-

  MSN escalations are a sham. Period. MSN lies to it's customers. Period.

  I have four escalations going about my own Qwest/MSN DSL problem (see 10/29
  thread "The Elusive MSN Broadband...)-- the first is now 11 weeks old, the
  second 10 weeks, the third and forth 6 weeks. The problem is not corrected,
  I've never been contacted about the status of the problem (customer service
  has told me for each I would be contacted within a week), and there's no
  visible effort on their part to do anything.

  The only redeeming element to my own experience is that I've successfully
  dissuaded 6 people from signing up with MSN. The facts speak for themselves.

  MSN escalations are a sham. Period. MSN lies to it's customers. Period.

MSN DSL horror story

Post by Bob » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 08:53:47

Tell ya what, go ahead and post all 4 of the ticket numbers you have for
these escalations.  Maybe someone could get an answer with the ticket

don't want to post them, email me, to the address posted
here, and I can have someone check the status of your escalations.
blue11111's-Bob

> MSN escalations are a sham. Period. MSN lies to it's customers. Period.

> I have four escalations going about my own Qwest/MSN DSL problem (see
10/29
> thread "The Elusive MSN Broadband...)-- the first is now 11 weeks old, the
> second 10 weeks, the third and forth 6 weeks. The problem is not
corrected,
> I've never been contacted about the status of the problem (customer
service
> has told me for each I would be contacted within a week), and there's no
> visible effort on their part to do anything.

> The only redeeming element to my own experience is that I've successfully
> dissuaded 6 people from signing up with MSN. The facts speak for
themselves.

> MSN escalations are a sham. Period. MSN lies to it's customers. Period.

> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:51:34 -0700, "donna_inman"

> > >Most of the people that I talked to for MSN really wanted to help, but
> there
> > >hands were tied due to the structure of MSN, especially having to do
with
> > >the escalations. There is no way to talk to management, there is no way
> > >voice your complaints, there is no way to escalate anything. Once
> something
> > >is supposedly escalated,, nothing further was ever heard about it, and
> there
> > >is no way to find out the status of your escalation. There were 2
people
> at
> > >MSN that I talked to that out right lied to me in what seemed an
attempt
> > >just get me off the phone.

> > So much for Paul's advice to another poster regarding msn broadbanc
> > support.

> > --
> > Deb

> > For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
> > We are Americans, and United we Stand!

MSN DSL horror story

Post by Kare » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:52:35

I am also having a nightmare with MSN DSL.  I cancelled my account
because they set it up incorrectly.  I was told they'd credit my Qwest
account for the related charges, and deprovision my phone line, but
neither has been done.  I've been calling for 2 months, and have been
told my issue was being escalated to "Tier 3" support, with no
followup and no results.

Does anyone have information about who to contact higher up the food
chain?  Thanks.

MSN DSL horror story

Post by anno » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 04:20:26

What is your email address?

Quote:> I am also having a nightmare with MSN DSL.  I cancelled my account
> because they set it up incorrectly.  I was told they'd credit my Qwest
> account for the related charges, and deprovision my phone line, but
> neither has been done.  I've been calling for 2 months, and have been
> told my issue was being escalated to "Tier 3" support, with no
> followup and no results.

> Does anyone have information about who to contact higher up the food
> chain?  Thanks.

MSN DSL horror story

Post by anno » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 04:26:00

Nevermind

> What is your email address?

> > I am also having a nightmare with MSN DSL.  I cancelled my account
> > because they set it up incorrectly.  I was told they'd credit my Qwest
> > account for the related charges, and deprovision my phone line, but
> > neither has been done.  I've been calling for 2 months, and have been
> > told my issue was being escalated to "Tier 3" support, with no
> > followup and no results.

> > Does anyone have information about who to contact higher up the food
> > chain?  Thanks.

MSN DSL horror story

Post by Kevi » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 04:35:55

Based on my experience, it sure sounds like typical MSN too me.
I know this is no consolation, but there are probably thousands in the same
boat as you.

Run don't walk as far away from anything MSN as you can get.

Quote:> I am also having a nightmare with MSN DSL.  I cancelled my account
> because they set it up incorrectly.  I was told they'd credit my Qwest
> account for the related charges, and deprovision my phone line, but
> neither has been done.  I've been calling for 2 months, and have been
> told my issue was being escalated to "Tier 3" support, with no
> followup and no results.

> Does anyone have information about who to contact higher up the food
> chain?  Thanks.

MSN DSL horror story

Post by Kare » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:37:49

Update on my story:

I got so frustrated yesterday, I started doing some research and came
up with a couple names (Kevin Shea and Lori Moore Ross) who are in the
higher-up eschelons of the Microsoft Customer Support organization.  I
phoned corporate headquarters and left messages with my complaint on
the voice mail of both of these people.  Also, the corporate phone
operator added another escalation to my issue.

Interestingly enough, I finally was contacted - TWICE - no less, by
Tier 3 MSN Support, who also left a callback number on my answering
machine the second time (I believe the second call was from a
different call center than the first).  I was phoned around 10 pm last
night, and again at 7:30 am (Pacific Time) today.  One of the guys
said he'd call me in three days with status.  So we'll see.

Being contacted with them, and given a callback phone number, is a
kind of progress, I suppose...???!!!

MSN DSL horror story

Post by DebM » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:38:38

Quote:>Update on my story:

>I got so frustrated yesterday, I started doing some research and came
>up with a couple names (Kevin Shea and Lori Moore Ross) who are in the
>higher-up eschelons of the Microsoft Customer Support organization.  I

Oh, please. email me their numbers....;-)

Quote:>phoned corporate headquarters and left messages with my complaint on

--
Deb

For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
We are Americans, and United we Stand!

1. What's your X10 horror story?

Well, I know we all have those little stories of X10 projects gone
bad..  Mine usually consist of my wife not quite agreeing with me on
the fact that things like the Vacuum Cleaner "really" need to be set
to come on and off at scheduled intervals..  ;-)

Well, thought some of you might be interested in sharing them..

My latest?

Well, I ordered an X10 Pro XPS light switch to control the flourescent
lighting in our kitchen..  The day the unit arrived, I went to
installing it right away.  The wife mentioned some comment about me
being like a kid in a candy store everytime I get a new X10 gizmo.
Anyhow, the installation went well and shortly afterwards I had my
kitchen lights (Finally) X10 controllable...  However, after about 3
of those loud "Click" on/off cycles, something suddenly went wrong..
It seems that there was a hot wire within the electrical box that had
become bare in one spot, and after a few of the relay clicks jolting
it into just the right position, you guessed it - blamo!

All in all, no harm done..  The switch survived, and the breaker
popped so there was no damage except for about a 2 foot round black
ring of soot around the wall switch.  :-)   I tracked down the culprit
wire (The actual cut being hardly noticable) and snipped it off..
Cleaning off the "explosion ring" wasn't quite so easy.  Heheh..

Of course, the only fallout was that for about 3 days after this the
wife was convinced that every X10 module in the house was an H-Bomb
waiting to explode..  She wouldn't even touch the palm-pad for about a
week after for fear of having the entire house go up in a mushroom
cloud..   I finally convinced her that it was safe, and that the
bare-wire was a fluke, but she really wasn't much for my X10 gizmo's
for a week or two..  :)

Glad that's over..  I've got more appliance modules in the mail!

---
Mark,  Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

2. Trouble booting up

3. Anyone have Bridge horror stories?

4. DejaGnu

5. Remote HA Horror Stories?

6. $35 INDY R4600 96MB/1GB

7. Help! Adaptec 1542 drivers + a Gateway horror story

8. Efficient read from Sun SPC board

9. Electronics supplier horror stories

10. component supplier horror stories

11. Horror stories with Motorola 1603 board?

12. Any horror stories about 5.1.1 vs 5.1

13. System testing horror stories