Attn: Sandi MVP [ re: BHO Cop ]

Post by Dean Kin » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 05:17:17

Sandi ...

Install and examined "BHO Cop" ... ( hmmm !!! )

Well.. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting to see.
In view of my recent browser "slowness" .. I suppose
I expcted to see a whole "swarm" mischievious little
"critters" lurking in my system.

But there are only TWO.

1) Adobe Acrobat Reader
2) Norton Anti Virus

Neither seems particularly ominous.
Both seems to be properly "registered".
That is they both have ActiveX ID numbers.

Both are Enabled.
And I see no reason to disable them unless I
experience a new rash of problems .. then I'll
experiment with toggling them on and off.

BTW .. I have determined that NAV auto-scan
does in fact slow-down my browser functioning.
I'll leave it *ON* most of the time when "surfing".
 * (  discretion being the better part of valor ) *
Toggling auto-scan on-and-off is quick and easy..
without even having to re-load the browser.

Anyway ... Thanks for the "BHO Cop" tips.
I'll use it to peep under IE's skirt .. as a part
of regular and frequent sys-maint.

[dk]

Attn: Sandi MVP [ re: BHO Cop ]

Post by Sandi - Microsoft MV » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:24:33

<g> Thanks for the feedback Dean :-)

--

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.
Sandi Hardmeier

Quote:> Sandi ...

> Install and examined "BHO Cop" ... ( hmmm !!! )

> Well.. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting to see.
> In view of my recent browser "slowness" .. I suppose
> I expcted to see a whole "swarm" mischievious little
> "critters" lurking in my system.

> But there are only TWO.

> 1) Adobe Acrobat Reader
> 2) Norton Anti Virus

> Neither seems particularly ominous.
> Both seems to be properly "registered".
> That is they both have ActiveX ID numbers.

> Both are Enabled.
> And I see no reason to disable them unless I
> experience a new rash of problems .. then I'll
> experiment with toggling them on and off.

> BTW .. I have determined that NAV auto-scan
> does in fact slow-down my browser functioning.
> I'll leave it *ON* most of the time when "surfing".
>  * (  discretion being the better part of valor ) *
> Toggling auto-scan on-and-off is quick and easy..
> without even having to re-load the browser.

> Anyway ... Thanks for the "BHO Cop" tips.
> I'll use it to peep under IE's skirt .. as a part
> of regular and frequent sys-maint.

> [dk]

1. MSG to Sandi MVP - Email SPAM etc

Dear Sandi,

Thanks for the advice on how to set up OE, IE etc for max spam protection. I
was somewhat alarmed when I ran the TrickyBit HTML test and found out how
much info could be gleaned via the spammers from my PC. I have now applied
the recomendations and that flaw in my email is plugged.

I have been trying another email Spam protection call mailwasher see
www.mailwasher.net This program can be obtained for a small dollar payment
and does seem to be an even better step because you can check the senders
and delete the emails even before accessing them via OE etc.

So far I have used it for about 5 days and on my MSN account which did
receive 5 - 15 spams a day is now reduced to 1 - 2 which I have to mark
manually for deletion/bounce. Hopefully the Spams will go to zero as the
program "learns" what I dont want to receive.

Anyway thanks again for all the help.

2. BA NYC high packet drops

3. ATTN Sandi

4. Need more help

5. MVP-DTS, Microsoft Publisher MVP and the PMSN Boys Club

6. OS4.1 on my IIIc slowdown the system.Suggestions?

7. BHO

8. How can a BHO be hosted in a standalone app?

9. Help me Sandi ,...PLEASE

10. Sandi can you repost Outlook Express method for MSN mail

11. Oh and also Sandi it appears