Final MSN Upgrade/POP3 News

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:39:42

Great news! Can't wait for the final!

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

Publisher eSurvival (FAQ and More!): http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

Final MSN Upgrade/POP3 News

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:43:19

Try a local ISP, they have deals that can be up to half the price of
MSN/Earthlink/AOL, but include the same features and better service.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

Publisher eSurvival (FAQ and More!): http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

1. Q: pop3.email.msn.com pop3 protocol

Hello,

could anyone help me to figure out how to use pop3 account on
pop3.email.msn.com?
I was happy user of qwest.net and I was asked to migrate to MSN. I am
storing my emails in netscape pop3 client, since it uses plain text
format for storing folders so I can grep it by regular expressions ( as
is impossible by any other mail client I know).
I have error while retrieving email by Netscape:

The USER command did not succeeded. The mail server responded:
Permission denied

So I did dive into protocol using telnet client. By issuing command:

$ telnet pop3.email.msn.com pop3
+OK CPIMSPOPA06.email.msn.com POP3 Server

response message is not according RFC1939 since it is not in format

What RFC or other describes answer from pop3.email.msn.com pop3 ? Do
they use 'user' command for authentication or 'apop'. I doubt 'apop'
since they do not provide <clock> seed for MD5 algorithm. When I issue
command 'user' I have following error:

$ telnet pop3.email.msn.com pop3
+OK CPIMSPOPA05.email.msn.com POP3 Server
user myusername
-ERR Permission denied

What do I miss?
Any explanation highly appreciated,

    Stan

2. Pivot Macro in excel 2010

3. Will using MSN 7.0 negate my POP3 mail from MSN?

4. Is the 1510 SCSI adapter too slow for Win98 ?

5. MSN Web-based versus MSN POP3 Round 2

6. Searching in a vector

7. Do I need MSN 2.5 to receive MSN pop3 email

8. Accessing non-MSN POP3/SMTP server using MSN dialup

9. office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

10. MSN 8 News: [Beta 2 & MSN Carpoint]

11. effect of xp sp1 upgrade on POP3

12. OK MSN running fine and Hotmail account .....lost Hotmail when I upgrade MSN