Changing 'Status' display in MSN Messenger 5.0

Changing 'Status' display in MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Spacefac » Fri, 23 May 2003 04:21:36

How can I, if there IS a way, change the status from 'Online' to 'Surfing
The Web' or 'Away' to 'Having A Crap' etc. I would imagine i may have to
manually edit the registry or something as there is no option to change the
wording using messenger itself..
I just want to change them all once, not everytime i go online. If i cannot
do it, is it because the status text is actually stored on the other
contacts computer???

Win 98SE, MSN Messenger 5, IE6 etc etc

Changing 'Status' display in MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 23 May 2003 04:20:58

Greetings,

Unfortunately you can't really do this, but instead you can put your away message in your
display name.  For example, just open the main Messenger window, click the Tools menu, then
Options, and add your message to your display name.  For example, if your current display
name was:
Spaceface
change it to:
Spaceface (At the Store)
then you can set yourself as Away, so on your contacts' lists, they'll see:
Spaceface (At the Store) (Away)
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> How can I, if there IS a way, change the status from 'Online' to 'Surfing
> The Web' or 'Away' to 'Having A Crap' etc. I would imagine i may have to
> manually edit the registry or something as there is no option to change the
> wording using messenger itself..
> I just want to change them all once, not everytime i go online. If i cannot
> do it, is it because the status text is actually stored on the other
> contacts computer???

> Win 98SE, MSN Messenger 5, IE6 etc etc

Changing 'Status' display in MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Spacefac » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:15:08

Cheers for the advice. Pity i can't do what i wanted, but thanks anyway.
PS do you spend all day replying to all these posts, Microsoft should give
you a 'Proper' job!!!!   :o)

Changing 'Status' display in MSN Messenger 5.0

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:26:47

Hi,

Do you mind if I quote you on that? *grin*
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Cheers for the advice. Pity i can't do what i wanted, but thanks anyway.
> PS do you spend all day replying to all these posts, Microsoft should give
> you a 'Proper' job!!!!   :o)

1. MSN messenger won't change to "away" mode when I'm inactive.

I use Windows XP and I have Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN messenger 5.
I've set both program to change my status to "away" when I'm inactive
for 5 minutes. Windows Messenger works fine but MSN messenger 5 never
changes to "away" mode. It used to work fine until last weekends. I
installed Nero CD-R software last weekends so I uninstalled it and
tried MSN messenger 5 again. It still doesn't work right. Is there a
fix for it?

2. nm 2.11 problem

3. Messenger 'url' for website msg or online status indicator?

4. Looking for some doc for CM process

5. My status doesn't change in MSN in Exchange 2000 interanet enviroment

6. Message

7. Don't Upgrade MSN Messenger 5.0!!!

8. Tracking User Access

9. Cannot install Messenger 'cos I've only IE version 5.0

10. Can't run MSN Messenger 5.0

11. MSN Messenger 5.0 upgrade...but won't connect

12. Game Voice doesn't work with MSN Messenger 5.0

13. Where is MSN Messenger 5.0's executable?