File transfers with MSN

Post by Shau » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 05:06:51

I can use MSN for messaging but cant use it for anything else such as  file
transfers, app sharing or *.

I am using XP with a linksys wireless router and cable modem.

I get an error message stating transfer blocked please check with isp or
network administrator

any advice would be appreciated.

File transfers with MSN

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 05:38:10

Greetings Shaun,

In order to use Messenger's features besides text messaging through a NAT (router), the NAT
must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).  Assuming you're using the Linksys BEFW11S4, all
you need to do is upgrade to the latest firmware for your router:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

After you've upgraded the firmware for your router, go into the router configuration, choose
the Password tab, and toggle UPnP on.  After you've turned on UPnP, reboot your computer and
you should be able to do voice/video, application sharing, etc.

However, note that in order to send files, you need to use MSN Messenger 5 (which supports
UPnP file transfer):
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Messenger Resources - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> I can use MSN for messaging but cant use it for anything else such as  file
> transfers, app sharing or *.

> I am using XP with a linksys wireless router and cable modem.

> I get an error message stating transfer blocked please check with isp or
> network administrator

> any advice would be appreciated.

File transfers with MSN

Post by S » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 08:37:45

Thanks for the quick reply Jonathan - unfortunately I still have the same
problem after downloading the upgrade and enabling UPnP. I am using MSM 5. I
am testing by connecting with another PC using the same wireless router -
would this effect the results ?

Quote:> Greetings Shaun,

> In order to use Messenger's features besides text messaging through a NAT
(router), the NAT
> must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).  Assuming you're using the

Linksys BEFW11S4, all
Quote:> you need to do is upgrade to the latest firmware for your router:

Post by Spam Buste » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 04:28:44

| Thanks for the quick reply Jonathan - unfortunately I still have the same
| problem after downloading the upgrade and enabling UPnP. I am using MSM 5.
| am testing by connecting with another PC using the same wireless router -
| would this effect the results ?

Obviously the "other side" must have upgrade the Linksys and enabled uPnP as
well.
Also: on both sides uPnP must be enabled in the operating system.
Shortly after the release of WinXP there were a lot of security alarms re.
uPnP and a lot of "experts" adviced everybody to disable uPnP in their OS.

I have the same setup on my side and at friends accross the ocean.
Exchanging files is successful every time.

SB