office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by Robert Lope » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:24:18

I have system with XP Home, it came (Dell package) with Outlook,
pda, sync software and MSN Word.
For a class I bought "Microsoft Office XP Professional Version 2002"
for the Excel and Access.  I have been told I can just install
this over all the existing software and Word will replace Word,
Outlook will replace Outlook etc.

My fear: Is there any possibility this upgrade will affect MSN-8?
--

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by ...winsto » Fri, 30 May 2003 13:36:20

If this is an upgrade version, install it on top of the existing
If the full version, remove the OEM Dell Word and Outlook, install the Pro
version, then resync the pda.

An office install should not impact MSn8...though in the grand scheme of
things MSn8 usually affects itself..it would be better to setup a dun
connection, use OLXP to retreive your MSn web mail, then use IE for
infinitely more control and a better browsing experience.

 ..winston

: I have system with XP Home, it came (Dell package) with Outlook,
: pda, sync software and MSN Word.
: For a class I bought "Microsoft Office XP Professional Version 2002"
: for the Excel and Access.  I have been told I can just install
: this over all the existing software and Word will replace Word,
: Outlook will replace Outlook etc.
:
: My fear: Is there any possibility this upgrade will affect MSN-8?
: --

Post by Robert Lope » Sat, 31 May 2003 01:12:13

> : I have system with XP Home, it came (Dell package) with Outlook,
> : pda, sync software and MSN Word.
> : For a class I bought "Microsoft Office XP Professional Version 2002"
> : for the Excel and Access.  I have been told I can just install
> : this over all the existing software and Word will replace Word,
> : Outlook will replace Outlook etc.
> :
> : My fear: Is there any possibility this upgrade will affect MSN-8?

> If this is an upgrade version, install it on top of the existing
> If the full version, remove the OEM Dell Word and Outlook, install the Pro
> version, then resync the pda.

Thanks Winston, you are right on.  Someone else sent me an email
saying go ahead and I will have no problems and also a local
(outsourced) expert also said the same. So before I saw your answer I
installed from the Office cdrom.  It came up an said there was one
program, Outlook, which needed to be removed first [nothing about
Word] and offered to do it. I went through the install with no
apparent problems. Then I did the registration. After that I did a
look for patches. This is when I realized the word was never replaced.
I had to find from which of the original cd's Word was installed. Then
for a few of the many patches I had to put in two cdroms, the Word on
and the Office one.  That took me so late into the night I have not
yet found out if there are any pda syncing problems. The new Outlook
"stole" the primary mail role; I fixed that for each of us.

Quote:> An office install should not impact MSn8...though in the grand scheme of
> things MSn8 usually affects itself..it would be better to setup a dun
> connection, use OLXP to retreive your MSn web mail, then use IE for
> infinitely more control and a better browsing experience.

I think you are right in the first sentence, with the observation
about about Outlook grabbing mail primary role.

But everything after "..it would be better to setup" I do not understand.

--

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by Val - Microsoft [.NOT MVP » Sat, 31 May 2003 07:51:52

rl,

Reread Winston's reply, especially the "...everything after...." part you had difficulty understanding on the first read.

As is always the case - his reply makes perfect sense and is offered  in your best interests.

A second reading, from an objective point of view, will likely ignite the spark he intended.
If it helps, you might want to focus on the phrases;
"....msn usually affects (not "effects") itself...."
"....use OLXP...."
"....infinitely more control....."

If it's still not clear, post back

val
micro$oft {dot.NOT.dot.NET} - MVP (since 1950)

  <snip>

  I think you are right in the first sentence, with the observation
  about about Outlook grabbing mail primary role.

  But everything after "..it would be better to setup" I do not understand.

  --

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by Robert Lope » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:46:50

Quote:> Reread Winston's reply, especially the "...everything after...."
> part you had difficulty understanding on the first read.

> As is always the case - his reply makes perfect sense and is offered
> in your best interests.
n>

OK. This is the part Winston said I did and still do not understand:

      "An office install should not impact MSn8...though in the grand
      scheme of things MSn8 usually affects itself..it would be better
      to setup a dun connection, use OLXP to retreive your MSn web
      mail, then use IE for infinitely more control and a better
      browsing experience."

I Googled for "dun connections" and I see it is a "dial up network"
connection. It is not clear to me why I would want to do this. I only
have one dial up connection. It is for MSN-8. Why do I want another
one also for MSN-8?

I Googled for "OLXP" and I see it stands for "On Line XML Processing".
What this has to do with installing MS Office is beyond me.

But, again, as I told Winston, his correct advice was correct and I
have completed the install of Office; except that it did not reinstall
Word.

--

Post by Sori » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:00:31

Quote:> OK. This is the part Winston said I did and still do not understand:

>       "An office install should not impact MSn8...though in the grand
>       scheme of things MSn8 usually affects itself..it would be better
>       to setup a dun connection, use OLXP to retreive your MSn web
>       mail, then use IE for infinitely more control and a better
>       browsing experience."

> I Googled for "dun connections" and I see it is a "dial up network"
> connection. It is not clear to me why I would want to do this. I only
> have one dial up connection. It is for MSN-8. Why do I want another
> one also for MSN-8?

You don't want that. It's only that Winston and others just don't trust MSN
and want you [I don't know why] to delete MSN Software and only use Dial Up
Networking to MSN and Internet Explorer instead of it.

Quote:

> I Googled for "OLXP" and I see it stands for "On Line XML Processing".
> What this has to do with installing MS Office is beyond me.

He meant OutLook XP. But he always shorten things. [I don't know why
either]. Not to mention Val, who also calls you "rl".

Quote:

> But, again, as I told Winston, his correct advice was correct and I
> have completed the install of Office; except that it did not reinstall
> Word.

Did you select the "Word" checkbox when installing Office XP? Did you do a
Typical or any other install types?
Quote:

> --

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by Sori » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:02:49

See Robert replies. And you say you offer good advice!

--
Sorin

Post by Sori » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:03:15

See Robert replies. And you say you offer good advice!
Like your name says: NOT!

--
Sorin

Post by Robert Lope » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:23:06

> > OK. This is the part Winston said I did and still do not understand:

> >       "An office install should not impact MSn8...though in the grand
> >       scheme of things MSn8 usually affects itself..it would be better
> >       to setup a dun connection, use OLXP to retreive your MSn web
> >       mail, then use IE for infinitely more control and a better
> >       browsing experience."

> > I Googled for "dun connections" and I see it is a "dial up network"
> > connection. It is not clear to me why I would want to do this. I only
> > have one dial up connection. It is for MSN-8. Why do I want another
> > one also for MSN-8?

> You don't want that. It's only that Winston and others just don't trust MSN
> and want you [I don't know why] to delete MSN Software and only use Dial Up
> Networking to MSN and Internet Explorer instead of it.

> > I Googled for "OLXP" and I see it stands for "On Line XML Processing".
> > What this has to do with installing MS Office is beyond me.

> He meant OutLook XP. But he always shorten things. [I don't know why
> either]. Not to mention Val, who also calls you "rl".

> > But, again, as I told Winston, his correct advice was correct and I
> > have completed the install of Office; except that it did not reinstall
> > Word.

> Did you select the "Word" checkbox when installing Office XP? Did you do a
> Typical or any other install types?

I selected to do a complete install. Then after that I was told that
Outlook could be uninstalled first or let the Office install do the
uninstall. There was no option about Word at all.  I figure the Word
on the Office disk must have been exactly the same as was already on
the system (Dell package).

All worked out ok except that I had to find the original disk from
Dell with the Word image in order to apply patches.

Thanks.
--

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by ...winsto » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 11:45:11

Still working on the comprehension theory by assumption ?
 No one suggested removal of MSn.

"But, again, as I told Winston, his correct advice was correct and I
have completed the install of Office"

: See Robert replies. And you say you offer good advice!
:

office upgrade fear: upgrade affect MSN-8?

Post by Val - Microsoft [.NOT MVP » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:24:37

BHCB,

Do you enjoy making yourself look the fool or is there some ulterior motive the rest of us can't comprehend?

I have "see Robert replies"....nothing in any of them that even remotely would evoke a response like "and you say you offer good advice" from a sane individual.

I've read and re-read my post to which you replied (half-cocked to be sure) and for the life of me I can't find the "I offer good advice" statement which you referenced.

That you felt the need to include the "like your name says...." thing;
speaks volumes - my "name" doesn't say that, nor did you need to lower yourself to that level...sad that you did.