Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

Post by Dr. Syso » Wed, 07 May 2003 16:13:50

I have new fresh copy of Windows XP Pro & Have Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN
Messenger 5.0 installed.When ever I boot up I get online messages from my
friends even though I don't have either messenger set to run when windows
start. I went into control panel admin tools services & disabled messenger
but when I still boot up it runs & I have a port scanner to monitor all my
ports & says connected to bayxx.hotmail.com, when I start either messenger &
exit then its off. How can I make it so no messenger boots form start up
till I run it?

Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 08 May 2003 03:02:09

Greetings,

Do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?  Norton added a new "instant messaging scanning"
feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger and display this
behavior.  To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the
System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options,
then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I have new fresh copy of Windows XP Pro & Have Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN
> Messenger 5.0 installed.When ever I boot up I get online messages from my
> friends even though I don't have either messenger set to run when windows
> start. I went into control panel admin tools services & disabled messenger
> but when I still boot up it runs & I have a port scanner to monitor all my
> ports & says connected to bayxx.hotmail.com, when I start either messenger &
> exit then its off. How can I make it so no messenger boots form start up
> till I run it?

Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

Post by Dr. Syso » Thu, 08 May 2003 07:56:52

yes i have norton system works 2003 i did it & lets see whats happenes
thanks

Quote:> Greetings,

> Do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?  Norton added a new "instant
messaging scanning"
> feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger and
display this
> behavior.  To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton

Antivirus icon in the
Quote:> System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton

Antivirus'), click Options,
> then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
> Jonathan Kay
> Windows MVP, Messenger
> Associate Expert

> > I have new fresh copy of Windows XP Pro & Have Windows Messenger 4.7 &
MSN
> > Messenger 5.0 installed.When ever I boot up I get online messages from
my
> > friends even though I don't have either messenger set to run when
windows
> > start. I went into control panel admin tools services & disabled
messenger
> > but when I still boot up it runs & I have a port scanner to monitor all
my
> > ports & says connected to bayxx.hotmail.com, when I start either
messenger &
> > exit then its off. How can I make it so no messenger boots form start up
> > till I run it?

Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

Post by Dr. Syso » Thu, 08 May 2003 08:01:05

normal now. is it a good idea to keep aol & crappy yahoo checked also?
 i use them formt ime to time.

> yes i have norton system works 2003 i did it & lets see whats happenes
> thanks

> > Greetings,

> > Do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?  Norton added a new
"instant
> messaging scanning"
> > feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger and
> display this
> > behavior.  To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton
> Antivirus icon in the
> > System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton
> Antivirus'), click Options,
> > then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
> > Jonathan Kay
> > Windows MVP, Messenger
> > Associate Expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

> > > I have new fresh copy of Windows XP Pro & Have Windows Messenger 4.7 &
> MSN
> > > Messenger 5.0 installed.When ever I boot up I get online messages from
> my
> > > friends even though I don't have either messenger set to run when
> windows
> > > start. I went into control panel admin tools services & disabled
> messenger
> > > but when I still boot up it runs & I have a port scanner to monitor
all
> my
> > > ports & says connected to bayxx.hotmail.com, when I start either
> messenger &
> > > exit then its off. How can I make it so no messenger boots form start
up
> > > till I run it?

Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 08 May 2003 08:43:52

Hi,

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how Norton's scanner will affect these, I think you can
leave them on without a problem though.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> normal now. is it a good idea to keep aol & crappy yahoo checked also?
>  i use them formt ime to time.

> > yes i have norton system works 2003 i did it & lets see whats happenes
> > thanks

> > > Greetings,

> > > Do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?  Norton added a new
> "instant
> > messaging scanning"
> > > feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger and
> > display this
> > > behavior.  To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton
> > Antivirus icon in the
> > > System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton
> > Antivirus'), click Options,
> > > then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
> > > ____________________________________________
> > > Jonathan Kay
> > > Windows MVP, Messenger
> > > Associate Expert
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> > > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

> > MSN
> > my
> > windows
> > messenger
> all
> > my
> > messenger &
> up

1. MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

Hi, I have a Windows XP Pro system and "upgraded" Windows Messenger 4.7 to
MSN Messenger 5.0. I did this through an update alert in the bottom right
corner of the screen and Messenger 5 just doesn't seem as integrated as the
Windows Messenger version. Is there a particular reason for this? Why would
Windows Messenger update to MSN Messenger in the first place?

Whenever I start MSN Explorer, it still uses Windows Messenger. This is
depressing, MSN is getting really confusing with thier products now. Can
anyone explain any of this to me? I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance.

David Leon

2. Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

3. MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger 4.7

4. CDR general Q's and CD-Engine by RIMAGE

5. Video between Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 4.6 and 5.0

6. Any UK-based SYSTEL users out there?

7. Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

8. frustrated trying to compile GNU emacs 18.59 on IRIS SGI 4D/35 - HELP!

9. Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

10. DG824M Router & MSN Messenger 4.7/5.0

11. MSN Messenger API changes from 4.7 to 5.0

12. MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger Problem?

13. MSN Messenger 5.0 not compatible with 4.7 Interop DLL?