Cannot Log on to MSN Messenger

Post by Steve » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:26:04

I recently installed MSN 8 and upgraded from Windows ME
to XP.  When I boot up a MSN Messenger sign in
automatically appears. However, when I attempt to sign in
I receive the following message:   "We could not sign you
in to MSN Messenger.  It appears you are behind a
firewall that does not allow a direct connection to the
internet.  We tried to sign you through an HTTP proxy but
your Internet Explorer proxy settings are either missing
or incorrect.  To adjust your IE proxy settings click the
IE Tools menu, click Internet Options, click the
Connections tab, and then click Lan Settings"
I can access MSN by simply clicking on the MSN icon.  My
user name and password for MSN 8 and MSN Messenger are
identical.  I have checked my Password at MSN.net and all
appears fine.
I have several questions:
1) what is the real value or purpose of MSN Messenger?
2) why can't I connect when my user name and password are
correct?
3) Is it possible that my Norton Anti Virus 2003
application is causing a problem?

I appreciate any help you can provide,

Thanks

Cannot Log on to MSN Messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:03:34

Greetings Steve,

You should have a direct connection if you're using MSN Internet Access.  When you sign into
MSN, it should automatically connect you to MSN Messenger.  When MSN Messenger opens, click
the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection tab, and verify that the 'I use a proxy server'
is not checked.

1.  The purpose of MSN Messenger is to connect to the .NET Messenger service for instant

2.  See above
3.  Norton Antivirus 2003 does have a feature that causes Messenger not to load properly, but
should not have any effect on signing in.  If you want to disable the feature that causes
issues, open Norton Antivirus (right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System
Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then
Instant Messenger, then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I recently installed MSN 8 and upgraded from Windows ME