Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by Steve and Kathlee » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:31:35

    OK, here's the deal.
    I deleted a file I needed "msndc.exe".  I used dial up network to
download msn software (since it came on my computer and I don't have a
disk) but it is giving me an error message "msn failed to load FOLCOM.DLL.
When I called msn, they blamed it on my computer winsock file.  I extracted
the winsock file with the help of the Compaq tech, and did some other
stuff....  still getting the error.  He said I should probably totally
uninstall msn and then reinstall it.  So my question is:
    Do I uninstall Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or what?  I can
download the new software from the net if I can still connect.... right now
I can.  For the moment I am just ignoring the error message, but I can not
access the email from msn home page.
    I am very tempted to just use the restore disk and rewrite my hard
drive, but thought I might wait and try the msn software disk first....but
wont know exactly what to uninstall when I do receive it in the mail.
    I hate to go to all that trouble of downloading the other program I put
on here (palm pilot address book etc), but will if I need to.
    Thanks in advance....  remove nospam to email me.......
Kathleen

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by Tom » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:25:26

You don't reall need the software to connect, just remove MSN(Add/Remove) and use DUN connection, the link on the homepage won't work though, unless you install the new software.  I think folcom.dll is related to friends online that doesn't exist anymore.

Tom

Quote:>     OK, here's the deal.
>     I deleted a file I needed "msndc.exe".  I used dial up network to
> download msn software (since it came on my computer and I don't have a
> disk) but it is giving me an error message "msn failed to load FOLCOM.DLL.
> When I called msn, they blamed it on my computer winsock file.  I extracted
> the winsock file with the help of the Compaq tech, and did some other
> stuff....  still getting the error.  He said I should probably totally
> uninstall msn and then reinstall it.  So my question is:
>     Do I uninstall Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or what?  I can
> download the new software from the net if I can still connect.... right now
> I can.  For the moment I am just ignoring the error message, but I can not
> access the email from msn home page.
>     I am very tempted to just use the restore disk and rewrite my hard
> drive, but thought I might wait and try the msn software disk first....but
> wont know exactly what to uninstall when I do receive it in the mail.
>     I hate to go to all that trouble of downloading the other program I put
> on here (palm pilot address book etc), but will if I need to.
>     Thanks in advance....  remove nospam to email me.......
> Kathleen

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by Ralph Far » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 14:24:33

Go to the follwing web address and the latest version of MSN will be
installed on your computer.

http://free.msn.com/trymsn/oobeframe.asp

Select keep your current subscription and then click next.  When MSN is
finished installing select that you are a current member and enter your
user name and password when asked.  If any MSN files are missing this
should fix.

says...

Quote:>     OK, here's the deal.
>     I deleted a file I needed "msndc.exe".  I used dial up network to
> download msn software (since it came on my computer and I don't have a
> disk) but it is giving me an error message "msn failed to load FOLCOM.DLL.
> When I called msn, they blamed it on my computer winsock file.  I extracted
> the winsock file with the help of the Compaq tech, and did some other
> stuff....  still getting the error.  He said I should probably totally
> uninstall msn and then reinstall it.  So my question is:
>     Do I uninstall Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or what?  I can
> download the new software from the net if I can still connect.... right now
> I can.  For the moment I am just ignoring the error message, but I can not
> access the email from msn home page.
>     I am very tempted to just use the restore disk and rewrite my hard
> drive, but thought I might wait and try the msn software disk first....but
> wont know exactly what to uninstall when I do receive it in the mail.
>     I hate to go to all that trouble of downloading the other program I put
> on here (palm pilot address book etc), but will if I need to.
>     Thanks in advance....  remove nospam to email me.......
> Kathleen

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by Steve and Kathlee » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:03:46

No, this is exactly what I did to begin with.  It added the file I deleted,
now I am stuck with the error message....  The people at Compaq claim I
need to totally uninstall the msn before I go back and download it
again....  and I don't know specifically what to uninstall... IE, OE, both
or more..
    Thanks though!

| Go to the follwing web address and the latest version of MSN will be
| installed on your computer.
|
| http://free.msn.com/trymsn/oobeframe.asp
|
| Select keep your current subscription and then click next.  When MSN is
| finished installing select that you are a current member and enter your
| user name and password when asked.  If any MSN files are missing this
| should fix.
|

| says...
| >     OK, here's the deal.
| >     I deleted a file I needed "msndc.exe".  I used dial up network to
| > download msn software (since it came on my computer and I don't have a
| > disk) but it is giving me an error message "msn failed to load
FOLCOM.DLL.
| > When I called msn, they blamed it on my computer winsock file.  I
extracted
| > the winsock file with the help of the Compaq tech, and did some other
| > stuff....  still getting the error.  He said I should probably totally
| > uninstall msn and then reinstall it.  So my question is:
| >     Do I uninstall Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or what?  I can
| > download the new software from the net if I can still connect.... right
now
| > I can.  For the moment I am just ignoring the error message, but I can
not
| > access the email from msn home page.
| >     I am very tempted to just use the restore disk and rewrite my hard
| > drive, but thought I might wait and try the msn software disk
first....but
| > wont know exactly what to uninstall when I do receive it in the mail.
| >     I hate to go to all that trouble of downloading the other program I
put
| > on here (palm pilot address book etc), but will if I need to.
| >     Thanks in advance....  remove nospam to email me.......
| > Kathleen

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by Ralph Far » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 21:07:17

If you can still use the quickview icon (red circle with a finger in the
task bar) then click on it and then select MSN options and then select
turn off MSN.  Restart you computer when it is finished.  This will
remove the MSN software from your computer - there will now be a icon on
your desktop to re-install MSN, but you may want to download again at
this point if any files are missing.  Hope this helps you with your
problem.

> No, this is exactly what I did to begin with.  It added the file I deleted,
> now I am stuck with the error message....  The people at Compaq claim I
> need to totally uninstall the msn before I go back and download it
> again....  and I don't know specifically what to uninstall... IE, OE, both
> or more..
>     Thanks though!

> | Go to the follwing web address and the latest version of MSN will be
> | installed on your computer.
> |
> | http://free.msn.com/trymsn/oobeframe.asp
> |
> | Select keep your current subscription and then click next.  When MSN is
> | finished installing select that you are a current member and enter your
> | user name and password when asked.  If any MSN files are missing this
> | should fix.
> |

> | says...
> | >     OK, here's the deal.
> | >     I deleted a file I needed "msndc.exe".  I used dial up network to
> | > download msn software (since it came on my computer and I don't have a
> | > disk) but it is giving me an error message "msn failed to load
> FOLCOM.DLL.
> | > When I called msn, they blamed it on my computer winsock file.  I
> extracted
> | > the winsock file with the help of the Compaq tech, and did some other
> | > stuff....  still getting the error.  He said I should probably totally
> | > uninstall msn and then reinstall it.  So my question is:
> | >     Do I uninstall Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or what?  I can
> | > download the new software from the net if I can still connect.... right
> now
> | > I can.  For the moment I am just ignoring the error message, but I can
> not
> | > access the email from msn home page.
> | >     I am very tempted to just use the restore disk and rewrite my hard
> | > drive, but thought I might wait and try the msn software disk
> first....but
> | > wont know exactly what to uninstall when I do receive it in the mail.
> | >     I hate to go to all that trouble of downloading the other program I
> put
> | > on here (palm pilot address book etc), but will if I need to.
> | >     Thanks in advance....  remove nospam to email me.......
> | > Kathleen

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by Kuay Ti » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:55:46

A fine point that will likely not help Kathleen. Turning off MSN does not uninstall MSN software in Windows 98SE. Turning off MSN disables and removes personal settings. MSN is a "core component" of SE and cannot be removed in the usual ways. A reinstall of Windows 98SE over the top can be a good way to "reinstall" MSN if problems are encountered. I prefer using another ISP that requires only a DUN connection and still has POP3 standard e-mail. Stopped playing the new MSN version game a few months ago.

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

  If you can still use the quickview icon (red circle with a finger in the
  task bar) then click on it and then select MSN options and then select
  turn off MSN.  Restart you computer when it is finished.  This will
  remove the MSN software from your computer - there will now be a icon on
  your desktop to re-install MSN, but you may want to download again at
  this point if any files are missing.  Hope this helps you with your
  problem.

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling msn software

Post by blitz120 » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:32:07

I tried that and it still gives me the same error....  but thanks!   It was
worth a try.  I think I am just going to have to use my restore software
and re-write my hard drive.  Oh well, live and I am learning.  Thanks
again, Kathleen

| If you can still use the quickview icon (red circle with a finger in the
| task bar) then click on it and then select MSN options and then select
| turn off MSN.  Restart you computer when it is finished.  This will
| remove the MSN software from your computer - there will now be a icon on
| your desktop to re-install MSN, but you may want to download again at
| this point if any files are missing.  Hope this helps you with your
| problem.
|

| > No, this is exactly what I did to begin with.  It added the file I
deleted,
| > now I am stuck with the error message....  The people at Compaq claim I
| > need to totally uninstall the msn before I go back and download it
| > again....  and I don't know specifically what to uninstall... IE, OE,
both
| > or more..
| >     Thanks though!
| >
| > | Go to the follwing web address and the latest version of MSN will be
| > | installed on your computer.
| > |
| > | http://free.msn.com/trymsn/oobeframe.asp
| > |
| > | Select keep your current subscription and then click next.  When MSN
is
| > | finished installing select that you are a current member and enter
your
| > | user name and password when asked.  If any MSN files are missing this
| > | should fix.
| > |

| > | says...
| > FOLCOM.DLL.
| > extracted
right
| > now
| > not
| > first....but
| > put

1. Need help reinstalling Paperport, One-Touch software

I have a Visioneer 8820 which I have connected to my HP pavilion XT963
running Windows Xp.
I had no problem with the original installation. I developed some problems,
so I tried to uninstall and reinstall Paperport and the drivers. It seems
to install correctly and the machine connects to the scanner (through a USB
port). BUT, it will not open Paperport, nor will it configure. When I right
click on the scanner icon on the taskbar and chose configure, the panel
pops on, the vanishes instantly. When I lift click on the scanner icon, I
get a message saying the buttons have not been configures. There is no red
line through the scanner icon, so I assume it is connecting OK. What gives?
How can I fix it?

--
Bill Dennis
http://billdennis.net

2. SQLConnection Problems

3. Need help reinstalling Scanjet 5P -- Please help

4. Using agents to import???

5. Uninstalling/reinstalling FS95

6. WM_SIZING and DialogWindow

7. Can I Uninstall MSN Software?

8. How to uninstall, reinstall or update a NSE in program?

9. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

10. i need to know how i can have a full uninstall of msn..

11. Need to uninstall MSN

12. uninstalling msn explorer (HELP!)