What port does MSN uses for File transfer?

What port does MSN uses for File transfer?

Post by Teo » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:18:22

What port does MSN uses for file transfer so I can open it on my router?

Teo

What port does MSN uses for File transfer?

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:41:42

Greetings Teo,

Messenger uses ports 6891 through 6900 TCP for file transfer -- however, just opening and
forwarding the ports in your router will not allow you to send files (in most cases).  In
order to files, you router will either need to support its own Messenger file transfer
support or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) -- also note that for UPnP file transfer, you need
to be using MSN Messenger 5.

There may be a UPnP firmware update for your router which will allow to do UPnP file
transfer, check your router manufacturers website to see if such a firmware update is
available.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> What port does MSN uses for file transfer so I can open it on my router?

Post by Norman S. Mille » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:22:29

Quote:> What port does MSN uses for file transfer so I can open it on my router?

What Jonathan Kay said is somewhat true. However, if you have a router
which can "trigger" on port traffic, try triggering on port 1863; I.e., you
forward ports 6891 - 6900, then set the router to trigger on port 1863. It
works for me with an SMC Barricade router.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

What port does MSN uses for File transfer?

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:28:18

Greetings Norman,

Actually this isn't exactly true -- it's only valid on a small number of routers (primarily
SMC, and older Linksys firmware releases).  Your Barricade actually has support for Messenger
file transfer built-in to it -- however, since the barricade functions as a firewall, you
don't normally see this working until you forward the ports (which essentially opens them).

Why won't "trigger ports" work by themselves?  When you send a file, in the file request, you
send the file name, size, and your IP.  The person receiving the file connects to the IP in
the request and downloads the file -- if you're behind a router, your IP will be sent as an
internal IP address (like 192.168.0.1), which the other person isn't able to connect to.
What the router does is change this internal address into the real public IP address,
allowing the person to connect to you (and since you've used the "trigger" port, it gets
forwarded to its destination properly).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> > What port does MSN uses for file transfer so I can open it on my router?

> What Jonathan Kay said is somewhat true. However, if you have a router
> which can "trigger" on port traffic, try triggering on port 1863; I.e., you
> forward ports 6891 - 6900, then set the router to trigger on port 1863. It
> works for me with an SMC Barricade router.

> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

What port does MSN uses for File transfer?

Post by Norman S. Mille » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:01:02

Quote:> Actually this isn't exactly true -- it's only valid on a small number of routers (primarily
> SMC, and older Linksys firmware releases).  Your Barricade actually has support for Messenger
> file transfer built-in to it -- however, since the barricade functions as a firewall, you
> don't normally see this working until you forward the ports (which essentially opens them).

I never knew that. Nothing in the docs, so I just figured that was the way
things worked.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

What port does MSN uses for File transfer?

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 01:11:57

Hi Norman,

Yes I know.  I think in the some of the Barricade models firmware notes they say "Support for
MSN" (or something similar), which is what its referring to.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert