messenger

Post by Emma » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 06:12:57

How do I stop messenger logging me in automatically when
i log on to the internet?

Please help!

messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 06:21:26

Greetings Emma,

If you're using MSN Messenger 5 or 6, open up the main Messenger window, click the Tools
menu, then Options, then General tab, uncheck "Allow automatic sign-in when connected to the
Internet' and click OK.

If you're using a previous version, or Windows Messenger, you have two options.
Firstly, you can remove your saved password (you'll need to type in your password each time)
so it can't automatically connect.  To do so, if you're using Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2000,
just right-click the Messenger icon, click "Sign out", then right-click the icon again,
choose "Sign in...", enter your login and password that is the one that automatically signs
in -- but don't check the checkbox.  As soon as you're signed in, sign out again, and the
autologin should be gone.  If you're using Windows XP, Click the Start Button, then click the
Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel.  Select your account name, and
then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
Passwords'.  In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
'Remove'.  Then restart Messenger and it will no longer auto login.

Secondly, you can just stop Messenger from loading up when Windows starts, so it won't
automatically connect.  To do so, open up the main Messenger window, click the Tools menu,
then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts" and click
OK.  You can then shut down Messenger (right-click its icon and choose Exit), and then start
it (from the Start menu) when you want to run it.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert