Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Jim » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:00:01

Both of you have indicated, in posts to this Ng., that you can get to MY msn.com direct without going first to and through msn.com.  Since the release of MSN E, and now the release of MY msn, folx have been asking how to get the start/home/opening page of their choice.  I don't expect ms/msn to change the start of MSN E ( anyone that uses that thing gets what they deserve anyway ) but, if, like you *say*, you can get to MY msn.com without first going to/through msn.com, there are more than a few folx that would like for you to say how!
-Jim-

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:33:47

I understand that. I have one machine that has Windows XP and I have my
homepage set to MyMSN in IE6. I have a system at work with Windows 95 with
IE 5.5sp2 that won't allow me to make MyMSN the homepage.

For the Windows XP machine, all I did was use the url that shows when I am
in MyMSN.

HTH.

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

Both of you have indicated, in posts to this Ng., that you can get to MY
msn.com direct without going first to and through msn.com.  Since the
release of MSN E, and now the release of MY msn, folx have been asking how
to get the start/home/opening page of their choice.  I don't expect ms/msn
to change the start of MSN E ( anyone that uses that thing gets what they
deserve anyway ) but, if, like you *say*, you can get to MY msn.com without
first going to/through msn.com, there are more than a few folx that would
like for you to say how!
-Jim-

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Jim » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:42:06

Steps take?  Settings entered?  Simply stating over and over that it works is no assistance to those that would like to follow.
-Jim-

  "Brian

  For the Windows XP machine, all I did was use the url that shows when I am
  in MyMSN.

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:46:34

Jim!!!!!!!!!! I have no assistance on this matter, as I don't know myself
why it doesn't work on all of my machines! Are you READING what I am writing
or no?. I will post the steps and the URL when I get home. I will post them
back asap.

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

Steps take?  Settings entered?  Simply stating over and over that it works
is no assistance to those that would like to follow.
-Jim-

  "Brian

  For the Windows XP machine, all I did was use the url that shows when I am
  in MyMSN.

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:57:43

Ok..just tried it at work, and it works.

Windows 95c (OEM) OSR2, Internet Explorer 5.5sp2:

1. I opened Internet Explorer
2. When to tools> internet options> general tab
3. Under home page I put in the following URL: http://my.msn.com
4. I clicked "apply", then OK.
5. Then I visited a site on the web.
6. Clicked on the "Home" button on the IE toolbar
7. MyMSN opened.
8. Visited like 10 more websites
9. Clicked on the "Home" button on the IE toolbar
10. MyMSN opened

The only time MyMSN won't show is upon the first launch of IE. After that,
no matter where I go, or how long I am on, I click on the "home" button, and
I am brought to MyMSN.

I hope that helps Jim.
--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

Steps take?  Settings entered?  Simply stating over and over that it works
is no assistance to those that would like to follow.
-Jim-

  "Brian

  For the Windows XP machine, all I did was use the url that shows when I am
  in MyMSN.

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Jim » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 04:14:59

Nice try - but no cigar!  We ALL can to that.  That is NOT the issue.  Returning to is NOT the same as 'opening/starting/home' page.  People simply want to have IE open to My msn and it doesn't.  Not even using your steps.  Having opened IE to msn.com and going into my msn, going other places and returning to MY, is not what's at issue here and not what people want.

Obfuscation didn't/won't help anyone.
-Jim-

  "Brian

  The only time MyMSN won't show is upon the first launch of IE. After that,
  no matter where I go, or how long I am on, I click on the "home" button, and
  I am brought to MyMSN.

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:03:03

Ok, and that is different from what I said how?
--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

Nice try - but no cigar!  We ALL can to that.  That is NOT the issue.
Returning to is NOT the same as 'opening/starting/home' page.  People simply
want to have IE open to My msn and it doesn't.  Not even using your steps.
Having opened IE to msn.com and going into my msn, going other places and
returning to MY, is not what's at issue here and not what people want.

Obfuscation didn't/won't help anyone.
-Jim-

  "Brian

  The only time MyMSN won't show is upon the first launch of IE. After that,
  no matter where I go, or how long I am on, I click on the "home" button,
and
  I am brought to MyMSN.

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Jim » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:33:51

Nice try again.  You've read enough posts here relative to this issue to know exactly what's being asked and asked for.  You backed yourself into a corner by stating that you, like pb, could do what others wanted but couldn't and now you try to justify that assertion by posting events that are not the real issue.

Boot computer.  Establish Internet connection.  Open IE and have MY msn.com as the start page.  Launch MSN E and have My msn.com be the starting page.  THAT is the issue and the challenge.  Your changing the rules in the middle of the game do not change the issue or the challenge.  It, the challenge, still stands.
-Jim-

  "Brian
  Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:33:51

Jim,

I can't do that.

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher

Nice try again.  You've read enough posts here relative to this issue to
know exactly what's being asked and asked for.  You backed yourself into a
corner by stating that you, like pb, could do what others wanted but
couldn't and now you try to justify that assertion by posting events that
are not the real issue.

Boot computer.  Establish Internet connection.  Open IE and have MY msn.com
as the start page.  Launch MSN E and have My msn.com be the starting page.
THAT is the issue and the challenge.  Your changing the rules in the middle
of the game do not change the issue or the challenge.  It, the challenge,
still stands.
-Jim-

  "Brian
  Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Vic » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:30:26

bkmvp,
Which is *exactly* what everyone who has been following this discourse would
have bet all along.
Your protestations, intimations, innuendo, to the contrary, notwithstanding.
One down, one to go.

> Jim,

> I can't do that.

> --
> Brian Kvalheim

> Microsoft Community MVP
> Publisher
> For FAQ's, Templates and More:
> http://www.mvps.org/publisher

> Nice try again.  You've read enough posts here relative to this issue to
> know exactly what's being asked and asked for.  You backed yourself into a
> corner by stating that you, like pb, could do what others wanted but
> couldn't and now you try to justify that assertion by posting events that
> are not the real issue.

> Boot computer.  Establish Internet connection.  Open IE and have MY
msn.com
> as the start page.  Launch MSN E and have My msn.com be the starting page.
> THAT is the issue and the challenge.  Your changing the rules in the
middle
> of the game do not change the issue or the challenge.  It, the challenge,
> still stands.
> -Jim-

>   "Brian
>   Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Vic » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:32:11

Oh, and before you go ballistic on me,
Yes, it is "val" (posting from a box being set up for a customer - "vic")

> Jim,

> I can't do that.

> --
> Brian Kvalheim

> Microsoft Community MVP
> Publisher
> For FAQ's, Templates and More:
> http://www.mvps.org/publisher

> Nice try again.  You've read enough posts here relative to this issue to
> know exactly what's being asked and asked for.  You backed yourself into a
> corner by stating that you, like pb, could do what others wanted but
> couldn't and now you try to justify that assertion by posting events that
> are not the real issue.

> Boot computer.  Establish Internet connection.  Open IE and have MY
msn.com
> as the start page.  Launch MSN E and have My msn.com be the starting page.
> THAT is the issue and the challenge.  Your changing the rules in the
middle
> of the game do not change the issue or the challenge.  It, the challenge,
> still stands.
> -Jim-

>   "Brian
>   Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:52:45

Excellent. Have a great afternoon. Post back if you have any further
questions.

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

MVP Award 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.

> bkmvp,
> Which is *exactly* what everyone who has been following this discourse
would
> have bet all along.
> Your protestations, intimations, innuendo, to the contrary,
notwithstanding.
> One down, one to go.

> > Jim,

> > I can't do that.

> > --
> > Brian Kvalheim

> > Microsoft Community MVP
> > Publisher
> > For FAQ's, Templates and More:
> > http://www.mvps.org/publisher

> > Nice try again.  You've read enough posts here relative to this issue to
> > know exactly what's being asked and asked for.  You backed yourself into
> > corner by stating that you, like pb, could do what others wanted but
> > couldn't and now you try to justify that assertion by posting events
that
> > are not the real issue.

> > Boot computer.  Establish Internet connection.  Open IE and have MY
> msn.com
> > as the start page.  Launch MSN E and have My msn.com be the starting
page.
> > THAT is the issue and the challenge.  Your changing the rules in the
> middle
> > of the game do not change the issue or the challenge.  It, the
challenge,
> > still stands.
> > -Jim-

> >   "Brian
> >   Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:00:14

I see. Well, then I was mistaken. MyMSN can be set up as your Home page at
ALL times except first launch. My Bad.

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

MVP Award 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:03:03 -0600, "Brian Kvalheim - [MVP]"

> >Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

> You have been stating that you have it working, yet it is *not*
> working for you either, in the manner that is being complained about.

> Folks want it on *first* launch, from what I have read.  They want to
> bypass the msn.com page completely.

> --
> Deb

> For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
> We are Americans, and United we Stand!

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by sheidegge » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:48:15

Probably would have been more helpful if you had simply stated that to begin
with. Oh well, we all make mistakes, right?

> I see. Well, then I was mistaken. MyMSN can be set up as your Home page at
> ALL times except first launch. My Bad.

> --
> Brian Kvalheim

> Microsoft Community MVP
> Publisher
> For FAQ's, Templates and More:
> http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

> MVP Award 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

> Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.

> > On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:03:03 -0600, "Brian Kvalheim - [MVP]"

> > >Ok, and that is different from what I said how?

> > You have been stating that you have it working, yet it is *not*
> > working for you either, in the manner that is being complained about.

> > Folks want it on *first* launch, from what I have read.  They want to
> > bypass the msn.com page completely.

> > --
> > Deb

> > For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
> > We are Americans, and United we Stand!

Paul B. Brian K.

Post by Brian Kvalheim - [MVP » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:56:23

So true.

--
Brian Kvalheim

Microsoft Community MVP
Publisher
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

MVP Award 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.

> Probably would have been more helpful if you had simply stated that to
begin
> with. Oh well, we all make mistakes, right?

> > I see. Well, then I was mistaken. MyMSN can be set up as your Home page
at
> > ALL times except first launch. My Bad.

> > --
> > Brian Kvalheim

> > Microsoft Community MVP
> > Publisher
> > For FAQ's, Templates and More:
> > http://kvalcom.jvlnet.com

> > MVP Award 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/mvpaward.asp

> > Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.

> > > On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:03:03 -0600, "Brian Kvalheim - [MVP]"

> > > You have been stating that you have it working, yet it is *not*
> > > working for you either, in the manner that is being complained about.

> > > Folks want it on *first* launch, from what I have read.  They want to
> > > bypass the msn.com page completely.

> > > --
> > > Deb

> > > For the first time in years we are not Hyphenated-Americans.
> > > We are Americans, and United we Stand!

1. Paul and Brian's Posts

Please stop.  I've had enough of your posts.  You try to have
"better-than-you" attitudes by trying to be diplomatic but it just give it
up.

MSN has never really had a clue, otherwise, they would be a lot more
popular.

Look at Earthlink for example.  Features, galore, like both pop3 and web
access to your mail, forwarding for all mail that comes into the mailbox,
multiple email addresses, simultaneous access with those multiple email
addresses, business services, and professional support, and look at where
they are: #2 behind AOL.

MSN makes you use Hotmail for additional email addresses, only a single
msn.com address per account, now only web access to your mail, no business
services whatsoever which doesn't make sense as Microsoft is a huge supplier
of business software and other business services, ridiculous support in that
when you email them, they respond with 1 set of instructions that may or may
not have to do with your problem and then they're done with you.

I really have no clue why I've been on MSN for so long when I know there are
better alternatives.  I even had both Earthlink and Mindspring accounts to
try them out, but I too many people have my MSN address.  It looks like this
is the last straw and I may have to switch after all.

2. online time recorder

3. Brian (the other Brian)

4. generate parameterlist for matrix-indexing by using a row in anothermatrix

5. Paul Smith's Untimely Demise

6. Emerald & RadiusNT

7. Paul Smith sept. 11

8. Server for ISDN

9. "PAUL LAFARGUE is a FOOL" say it with me...

10. REQ;Java,WebSphere System/Production Support - - St. Paul, MN - 2 YEAR CONTRACT

11. Need Silk testers Location: St Paul, MN