Retrieving uninstalled MSN?

Post by Pam Crom » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:06:27

In transferring files and settings to my new computer, I uninstalled my MSN6
on my old computer...and I am still going to be using it. Is there anyway to
get it back. Now I cannot sign on to MSN - right? Help! and Thanks!
Pam Crome

Retrieving uninstalled MSN?

Post by Kuay Ti » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:10:55

Hi Pam,

I would suggest using a Dial-up Networking connection at first. This will allow you to connect and reinstall MSN 6 at your leisure, if that is your choice. I didn't find the MSN Help Desk particularly helpful, and can't offer more advice on installing MSN6. Someone more familiar with current procedures would need to step in here. If you'd like to give a DUN a try the information you need can be obtained here for the asking.

Check back here if you would like an answer that more directly answers your question. Alternatively, you could call MSN Internet Access customer service.

In US--Customer Service--1-800-386-5550 for account questions

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

Post by pianogu » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:22:47

> In transferring files and settings to my new computer, I uninstalled my
MSN6
> on my old computer...and I am still going to be using it. Is there anyway
> get it back. Now I cannot sign on to MSN - right? Help! and Thanks!

MSN 6 may be pre-installed on your new computer...go to...Start button /
Programs / Online Services and see if it is. The following link will help
you create a DUN if you need one:
http://www.urx.com/jforbes/dun.htm

--

pianoguy
return email disabled

Retrieving uninstalled MSN?

Post by Jim » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:47:11

Pam is there a reason why you just can't log onto the internet using a simple DUN and then go to the download site and get MSN again.  It'll be version 7 - but what the heck, they all look alike.

To sit up a DUN for connecting to msn just follow the instructions here:

http://www.urx.com/jforbes/dun.htm

Then, if you insist on using MSN Explorer you may want to consider the following:

http://www.urx.com/jforbes/dun2.htm
-Jim-

Post by Bob » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:03:38

Using a simple dial up networking connection will work great to get you connected.  At that point if you still want to use MSN Explorer you can simply download it from the web, http://explorer.msn.com/home.htm  .  If you choose to download and install it make sure you do it as an existing member so you don't inadvertently open another account.  If you have problems give Tech Support a call, 1-877-635-7019 and they should be able to assist you.  Blue skies-Bob

[...]

Post by Jim » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:24:56

She'd be better off asking the milk man!
-Jim-

Post by ...winsto » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:13:20

http://www.urx.com/jforbes/dun.htm

Pam,
The above link provides a guide for using a simple dun connection to logon to MSn.
 .ie..The software is not required..

If desired..you can install the software from the cd anytime..just use the existing Msn username when prompted..If you don't have a cd..you can order one from this site(look for the link 'Order a Cd')
    http://explorer.msn.com/home.htm

    ..winston

In transferring files and settings to my new computer, I uninstalled my MSN6
on my old computer...and I am still going to be using it. Is there anyway to
get it back. Now I cannot sign on to MSN - right? Help! and Thanks!
Pam Crome

Retrieving uninstalled MSN?

Post by ...winsto » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:21:34

Additional info..

If installing online...ensure that all internet sites that require password login/protection are closed prior to installing MSn :)
"Sign out of password-protected Web sites before creating the first MSN Explorer account.  If you are signed in to a password-protected Web site in Internet Explorer when you create the first user in MSN Explorer, the password information will be moved to the new MSN Explorer account along with your other Internet Explorer cookie information.  Therefore, we recommend that you sign out of any password-protected Web sites in Internet Explorer before creating your first MSN Explorer user account.

    ..winston

Using a simple dial up networking connection will work great to get you connected.  At that point if you still want to use MSN Explorer you can simply download it from the web, http://explorer.msn.com/home.htm  .  If you choose to download and install it make sure you do it as an existing member so you don't inadvertently open another account.  If you have problems give Tech Support a call, 1-877-635-7019 and they should be able to assist you.  Blue skies-Bob

1. Uninstalling MSN Explorer has lots of benefits, thanks MSN!

Hi,

I had been using MSN 5.0, and uninstalled the MSN software, but it left
annoying traces on my computer. I hated that flapping butterfly in Internet
Explorer and Outlook Express. Even when I uninstalled previous MSN software
and used DUN, that butterfly was still there, flapping away. I even tried to
edit the registry, following instructions from Microsoft's website for
removing it, but this only resulting in a spinning globe that flickered
briefly, but was finally replaced with the same flapping MSN butterfly.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try the new MSN Explorer. It hijacked
my email, making it webmail. The new cartoonish MSN explorer was obviously
pushed to market too fast, with lots of bugs (and spelling errors in menus!
Microsoft has armies of brainy people, it looks like they could have used a
spell checker...). MSN Explorer lacks many functions of Internet Explorer,
and makes it impossible to set your home page to anything but MSN. And it
forces us to endlessly watch banner advertisements! Even when you convert
Outlook Express to use their hotmail webmail, there's this huge banner
advertisement at the bottom! How insulting! I'm paying for this, I don't
want advertisements!

So I converted my email by to pop3, and uninstalled MSN Explorer and set up
DUN for MSN. And I was elated. The butterfly is gone! My email is fine! Even
the MSN logo on my desktop is gone!

Thanks Microsoft! Finally, you've done something impressive!

Kevin

2. fm and ring modulators

3. uninstalling messenger from sound when i uninstall it all

4. Notes

5. Inability to uninstall PGP 8.0 freeware or uninstall 8.0beta

6. Pop Up Windows

7. uninstall msn messenger

8. CPU test code

9. How do I uninstall MSN Messenger