.txt file?

Post by phli » Sat, 19 May 2001 04:56:47

What went wrong if the person meant to output as a .ps file and instead,
sent a .txt file?  I've tried re-naming as *.ps and distill, but get
'offending command', etc., w/no file produced...

Thanks-
Phil

PS - It really is a wonderful life!  ;-)

.txt file?

Post by Aandi Inst » Sat, 19 May 2001 05:12:14

>What went wrong if the person meant to output as a .ps file and instead,
>sent a .txt file?  I've tried re-naming as *.ps and distill, but get
>'offending command', etc., w/no file produced...

Open the text file and take a look. What do you see?

.txt file?

Post by phli » Sat, 19 May 2001 05:36:47

"Looks" like Postscript file...but I can't do anything with it!  :-)  See
below...

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Title: (FCB Coll. Proof BC 2)
%%Creator: (QuarkXPress\252 4.1: LaserWriter 8 8.7)
%%CreationDate: (10:43 AM Thursday, May 17, 2001)
%%For: (14)

%%Pages: 1
%%DocumentFonts: Eurostile-Bold Eurostile-Roman-DTC Helvetica Eurostile-Demi
Eurostile-DemiOblique Eurostile-Oblique Courier
%%DocumentNeededFonts:
%%DocumentSuppliedFonts: Eurostile-Bold Eurostile-Roman-DTC Helvetica
Eurostile-Demi Eurostile-DemiOblique Eurostile-Oblique Courier
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%PageOrder: Special
%%Orientation: Portrait
%%DocumentMedia: (Default) 612 792 0 () ()
%RBINumCopies: 1

> >What went wrong if the person meant to output as a .ps file and instead,
> >sent a .txt file?  I've tried re-naming as *.ps and distill, but get
> >'offending command', etc., w/no file produced...

> Open the text file and take a look. What do you see?

> Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

.txt file?

Post by Don McCahil » Sat, 19 May 2001 06:36:01

> "Looks" like Postscript file...but I can't do anything with it!  :-)  See
> below...

> %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> %%Title: (FCB Coll. Proof BC 2)
> %%Creator: (QuarkXPress\252 4.1: LaserWriter 8 8.7)
> %%CreationDate: (10:43 AM Thursday, May 17, 2001)
> %%For: (14)

> %%Pages: 1
> %%DocumentFonts: Eurostile-Bold Eurostile-Roman-DTC Helvetica Eurostile-Demi
> Eurostile-DemiOblique Eurostile-Oblique Courier
> %%DocumentNeededFonts:
> %%DocumentSuppliedFonts: Eurostile-Bold Eurostile-Roman-DTC Helvetica
> Eurostile-Demi Eurostile-DemiOblique Eurostile-Oblique Courier
> %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
> %%PageOrder: Special
> %%Orientation: Portrait
> %%DocumentMedia: (Default) 612 792 0 () ()
> %RBINumCopies: 1

> > >What went wrong if the person meant to output as a .ps file and instead,
> > >sent a .txt file?  I've tried re-naming as *.ps and distill, but get
> > >'offending command', etc., w/no file produced...

> > Open the text file and take a look. What do you see?

> > Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

I bet there are hard returns at the end of the lines, instead of soft ones ...
the %% lines must not wrap with a hard return. Dunno how to fix this, without a
LOT of work.

--
Don McCahill
Internet Graphic Design

.txt file?

Post by Aandi Inst » Sat, 19 May 2001 06:39:24

>"Looks" like Postscript file...but I can't do anything with it!  :-)  See
>below...

>%!PS-Adobe-3.0

It is PostScript indeed. So, to try to move forward we need to know
the actual error. Not "offending command", they all say that, but the
full text.

.txt file?

Post by Mike Koewle » Sat, 19 May 2001 08:36:32

Word's Find and Replace should be able to do it, if a manual line break
will suffice.

Mike

> > "Looks" like Postscript file...but I can't do anything with it!  :-)  See
> > below...

> > %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> > %%Title: (FCB Coll. Proof BC 2)
> > %%Creator: (QuarkXPress\252 4.1: LaserWriter 8 8.7)
> > %%CreationDate: (10:43 AM Thursday, May 17, 2001)
> > %%For: (14)

> > %%Pages: 1
> > %%DocumentFonts: Eurostile-Bold Eurostile-Roman-DTC Helvetica Eurostile-Demi
> > Eurostile-DemiOblique Eurostile-Oblique Courier
> > %%DocumentNeededFonts:
> > %%DocumentSuppliedFonts: Eurostile-Bold Eurostile-Roman-DTC Helvetica
> > Eurostile-Demi Eurostile-DemiOblique Eurostile-Oblique Courier
> > %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
> > %%PageOrder: Special
> > %%Orientation: Portrait
> > %%DocumentMedia: (Default) 612 792 0 () ()
> > %RBINumCopies: 1

> > > Open the text file and take a look. What do you see?

> > > Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

> I bet there are hard returns at the end of the lines, instead of soft ones ...
> the %% lines must not wrap with a hard return. Dunno how to fix this, without a
> LOT of work.

> --
> Don McCahill
> Internet Graphic Design
> Westervelt College
> London, Canada

.txt file?

Post by phli » Sat, 19 May 2001 10:25:17

Well, thanks for all of your help, but I'm just going to have the customer
re-send...

Phlip

Post by Don McCahil » Sun, 20 May 2001 06:45:11

> Word's Find and Replace should be able to do it, if a manual line break
> will suffice.

> Mike

It would, if you wanted to get rid of all manual breaks. But in a text file, where
some lines wrapped, you only want to remove the hard breaks that were originally soft
breaks. You need to keep the ones that were originally hard breaks. That is what
makes it time consuming.
--
Don McCahill
Internet Graphic Design