LaserWriter 8.4 . . . some REAL problems!

LaserWriter 8.4 . . . some REAL problems!

Post by George Mach » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Most of the LaserWriter 8.4 problems I've heard about thus far have been
sideline or minor problems -- loss of FAX printer support here, freezes
using Print Monitor there, etc.  But have any of you at prepress trade
shops or service bureaus encountered such fundamental and fatal problems
I find possibly attributable to LW 8.4 as follows? . . .

(1) Under Suitcase 3.0.1, printer fonts don't auto-download when
printing to an imagesetter (AGFA Viper 1.9 RIP, AGFA Cobra 2.1 RIP).  To
wit, the print dialog back-talk says, e.g., "Downloading Futura" but
substitution to Courier occurs anyway.  But immediately switching to LW
8.3.3 or LW 7.1.2 works perfectly!  (QuarkXPress 3.32r2, PageMaker 6.0,
FreeHand 5.5.2b.)

(2) Under earlier versions of LaserWriter 8, PageMaker 5 & 6 actually
bypassed much of the LW 8 print driver, thus avoiding the infamous LW 8
"mini-spool."  (Presumably this bypass reflects the old Aldus Prep file
folded-into the PageMaker application proper?)  But now (ironically!)
PageMaker 6.0 seems to mini-spool with LW 8.4 even with Foreground
Printing chosen in LW 8.4's options.  Viz., with LW 8.4 we keep getting
"disk full" errors and printing times stretch seemingly forever.  But
using LW 8.3.3 or LW 7.1.2 things go much faster with no apparent
two-pass printing.

Comments?

Post by Sherry Stins » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Most of the LaserWriter 8.4 problems I've heard about thus far have been
> sideline or minor problems -- loss of FAX printer support here, freezes
> using Print Monitor there, etc.  But have any of you at prepress trade
> shops or service bureaus encountered such fundamental and fatal problems
> I find possibly attributable to LW 8.4 as follows? . . .

George...where did LW8.4 come from? I have the latest update (that I know
of), and it is 8.2.2. Is this a new release?
--
Sherry L. Stinson

The Printed Image Design Studio
 *Magazines...Catalogs...Ad Campaigns...Electronic Publishing..."
Publisher of "The Printed Image" - a 'zine for artists & designers
  *PDF Version - ftp://users.aol.com/designzine/outgoing/
  *Web Version - http://users.aol.com/designzine/welcome.html

Post by Richard Bethel » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >George...where did LW8.4 come from? I have the latest update (that I
know
> >of), and it is 8.2.2. Is this a new release?

> Where have you been? 8.2.2 is ANCIENT history. LW 8.4 has been widely
> available for about a month.

Perhaps it's best to be in the dark on this one ;-)

--

you'll assimilate me, happiness is irrelevant." Barney of Borg
* visit my PostScript page at http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cj434 *

Post by Ian Russell Ollman » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > >George...where did LW8.4 come from? I have the latest update (that I know
> > >of), and it is 8.2.2. Is this a new release?
> > Where have you been? 8.2.2 is ANCIENT history. LW 8.4 has been widely
> > available for about a month.
> Perhaps it's best to be in the dark on this one ;-)

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. There is quite a healthy list of 8.4
incompatabilities which is growing by the day (MS Excel may be one), not
to mention a reworked interface which confuses some somewhat unconfident
users used to the old LW8. It's probably best to wait for 8.4.1 to at
least address some of the quirks if your machine lives in an environment
with non-power users or a wide diversity of applications which all need to
work. Despite the obvious changes made with 8.4, I really can't see any
major improvement which compels me to use it. (Nonetheless, I have it set
up on one machine to see if a use can be found for it.)  Not to worry,
8.3.2 has been out for a while, is quite stable and should certainly be a
nice replacement for 8.2.2, if you are desperate to upgrade.

                                Ian

LaserWriter 8.4 . . . some REAL problems!

Post by Robert Hamm » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>It's probably best to wait for 8.4.1 to at
>least address some of the quirks if your machine lives in an environment
>with non-power users or a wide diversity of applications which all need to
>work.

Agreed at this point. There are some definite problems with certain apps,
including PageMaker, TrapWise, and InPosition.

Quote:>Despite the obvious changes made with 8.4, I really can't see any
>major improvement which compels me to use it.

Well, by far the BIGGEST improvement for prepress users is the ability to
print without spooling (i.e. single-pass printing). Extremely useful when
LaserWriter 7 doesn't work right in a 100Base-T network environment...

Quote:>Not to worry,
>8.3.2 has been out for a while, is quite stable and should certainly be a
>nice replacement for 8.2.2, if you are desperate to upgrade.

Actually, the last version before 8.4 is 8.3.4, even newer than the 8.3.3
which came with System 7.5 Update 2.0. It's at Apple's FTP sites (i.e.:

ftp://ftp.support.apple.com/pub/Apple%20SW%20Updates/US/Macintosh/Pri...
ftp://ftptoo.support.apple.com/pub/Apple%20SW%20Updates/US/Macintosh/...

et. al.

--Robert

--
Robert Hammen            Sells Printing Company LLC     414/784-9500 vox
Network Administrator    16000 W. Rogers Dr.            414/784-7876 fax

AOL: Mac Wiz1            http://www.sells.com/

LaserWriter 8.4 . . . some REAL problems!

Post by Lingu » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

One trade shop response. I still use LW 7. If it ain't broke... Pagemaker
and this and that don't allow for it, but Quark and Illustrator and
Photoshop still sing through their PS code.

But I don't fax at work. And the print monitor gets turned off for 100 MB
PS files.
--Troy Cunningham
"She had the perpetual sense...of being out, out, far out to sea and
alone; she always had the feeling that it was very, very dangerous to live
even one day." --V. Woolf

Post by Adam Fr » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>One trade shop response. I still use LW 7. If it ain't broke... Pagemaker
>and this and that don't allow for it, but Quark and Illustrator and
>Photoshop still sing through their PS code.

That's great, but what about PostScript Level 2 printers with special
features that are addressable *only* through a PostScript Level 2 driver?

Take the Fiery XJ series, for example....

Aloha,
--Adam--

1. Laserwriter 8.4 Problems

Experiencing problems with Laserwriter 8.4 handling fonts, while
PressWise or TrapWise are sending files to the Rip.

Error Message reads "Can't Find Fonts".  In past the Laserwriter 7.2
and 8.0 worked.

Has anyone encountered this problem with Laserwriter 8.4?

2. BC++ 4.5 -- upgrade available?

3. Laserwriter 8.4.x and InPosition

4. EMPLANT Wanted

5. Laserwriter 8.4.x and InPositionLite won't work...

6. Refilling Cartridges - Epsons

7. LaserWriter 8.4.x & imagesetter misregistration

8. 3Com hates non-americans???

9. LaserWriter 8.4

10. Notebook: 386SL25, 8.4"Active Color, 2/80 - $500

11. Notebook: 486DX2/50, 8.4"Active Color, 4/200 - $820

12. Notebook: 386SL25, 8.4"Active Color, 2/80 - $500