Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by Ronnie L. Reev » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> The problem I have encountered is that when I open a Corel Draw file for
> which I do not have the fonts installed, it insists I change the fonts
> missing for a font I have on the system. So obviously when I open the
> file, all the fonts in the customers file have been changed to something
> else. I wonder if there is any way of opening the file with the program
> still knowing what fonts are required for it.

> Steve Babb...

Not that I know of.

What I used to do before we got a PC was to have my Corel Draw
customers export there files to Illustrator format.
When you do that it will ask if fonts should be exported as curves
(paths) or as fonts. If they export as curves then all the font
problems are solved, and the illustrator file works fine on the Mac.
Only problem was that that way the files sometimes were to big to
fit on a floppy which was the only way they had for transporting it
to me.

Ron

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by John Jeddel » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>          I wonder if any of you PC users could help me with a problem I
>am having with Corel Draw 5. Basically I am a very new user and I wish to
>open Corel Draw files on my PC and then export then as a placeable EPS. I
>then wish to copy the EPS to my macintosh and create a Postscript file.
>The reason for this, is that I do not have any PC fonts, but have
>thousands for my mac. I hoped to be able to print a postscript file from
>Quark Xpress on my macintosh with the fonts installed and then, hay
>presto, I have a ps file with fonts included in the file.

>The problem I have encountered is that when I open a Corel Draw file for
>which I do not have the fonts installed, it insists I change the fonts
>missing for a font I have on the system. So obviously when I open the
>file, all the fonts in the customers file have been changed to something
>else. I wonder if there is any way of opening the file with the program
>still knowing what fonts are required for it.

I am hoping that the amount of text is small and it is set as artistic
text. If it is paragraph text, the following solution may not work
well.

The best and simplest remedy is just to select the text in CorelDRAW,
then click on Convert to curves. Corel will convert the text to
individual images. At this point you will no longer be able to edit
the text, but at the same time, Corel will not look for the font
installed. Each character will be just a vector image.

Of course, if there is a lot of text, all kinds of nasties can happen
if you try to do this. For one thing, Corel might run out of RAM.
Also, the resulting image file can become so complex that it can *
the RIP. For this reason, if you have a lot of text, then a better
solution is to select the text in Corel, cut it to the Clipboard and
paste it into QuarkXPress. Place the remaining Corel image into
QuarkXPress and then drag the text frame over it. Corel is an awesome
DRAWING tool, but I think its handling of lengthy sections of text is
clunky.

Hope that helps.

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by Paul Harr » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I use CorelDRAW (4.0c) produced .eps files extensively, for output
both to my own printer (Lexmark Optra), and a Linotronic machine.
Never had a problem yet!

Paul Harris

WORD WORKS TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS
Design & Layout
Digital Typesetting   (604)384-3076
Editing & Writing     (604)384-4402 (fax)

1013 Pendergast St.

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by Greg Hamme » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Its been my experience that none of Corel Draws's export modules produce
quality results...PC or Mac.  Switch to Illustrator!

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by Brian D Die » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Its been my experience that none of Corel Draws's export modules produce
>quality results...PC or Mac.  Switch to Illustrator!

I would heartily second this - I've repeatedly been screwed by Corel even
though I don't use and have never bought their products.

My experience and sentiments are echoed by many service bureaus, I understand.

I have a design business, and every once in a while someone comes to me with
their work on Corel. Inevetibly the transfer from PC Corel through EPS output
sent to my Mac becomes a problem, and inevetibly I get to spend a lot of time
talking them through the process of sending their own damn Corel output back
into their own damn Corel on their own machine - then it's Aha! time. Oh golly,
I haven't been moving their text around capriciously, and I haven't simply
forgotten that they stretched the text. And oh golly gee, it wasn't that evil
"toy" Macintosh computer I'm using either (this after they explain to me at
length how *wonderful* Windoze is - it has *ICONS!!!*).

Even if we get past that merry-go-round, a simple look at the EPS code that
Corel generates is enough to give the shudders. Multiple copies of each letter
on top of itself, some of which have been split in strange ways to avoid
complex shapes, a lot of mish-mash that says to me that the programmers didn't
particularly care about either 1) a structured approach or 2) quality output.

The bottom line - if you do professional work, use a professional tool. The
results will tell. In my opinion, Corel isn't. In the meantime, I try to be
patient with the customers. Good humor (and sad experience) gets them to the
point where they understand the first sentence of this paragraph.

-Brian, speaking for ekkedesign, my own business

--
Brian Diehm

P.O. Box 500, M/S 47-030       (503) 627-3520 fax
Beaverton, OR   97077     Standard Disclaimers Apply - Opinions Stated are Mine

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by chris mill » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I would heartily second this - I've repeatedly been screwed by Corel even
>though I don't use and have never bought their products.

I have used all versions of Corel Draw from 3 to 6 at various places.  In my
opinion, compared to Freehand or any other Mac programs, Corel is a joke.  It
always has been and always will be.  Not to mention, it has a reputation of
turning non-computer literate, clipart fanatics into know it all, you guys are
idiots, corel rules, Mac sucks kind of people.  Every time I call Corel tech
support, I ask them if i can get a free t-shirt for being part of their
post-release beta team...

Corel lovers, flame away.
        Chris Miller

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by Ed Arno » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Corel lovers, flame away.
>         Chris Miller

Most, if not almost all, of the service bureau industry is right behind
you Chris! All Corel software is technically no better than our best alpha
software.

Ed Arnold

--
Ed Arnold          COLOR DIGITAL OFFSET PRINTING
Pam Mar Color      SHORT RUNS A SPECIALTY

Corel Draw to EPS problem!

Post by John Doher » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

| > Corel lovers, flame away.
|
| Most, if not almost all, of the service bureau industry is right behind
| you Chris!

Most of us know by now that CorelDraw bites hard. Windows users seem not to
have noticed that yet, though, and I'm not holding my breath until they do.

1. Corel Draw to EPS problem!

A lot of folks have been tearing there hair out with Corel files, here's
some info that might make life a bit easier.

Since this subject came up here of late, I decided to do a bit of rock
turning  I uncovered a couple of utilities to check CorelDRAW! files for
fonts, prior to output.

The first is CorelEXPRESS.  It's been around a while.  You can find it
on Corel's CompuServe forum, and it's also on the CD-ROM that Corel sent
to it's "authorized service bureaus"  In a quick search, I didn't see it
on Chris Dickman's CorelNET or on Corel's ftp site. (it's worth another
look)

CorelEXPRESS is a little standalone app created by Corel Corp.  It gives
a report which includes fonts, page size, etc.  Here's a sample report
from a rather unremarkable file:

c:\icd5\icd5work\01icd510.cdr
   File Type: CorelDRAW! 5.0
      230294 bytes
      May 2, 1994, 08:27:34 am
   Number of Fonts: 3
      CommonBullets
      Onyx BT
      AvantGarde Bk BT
   Bitmap Patterns: 0
   Vector Patterns: 0
   Imported Bitmaps: 0
   Page Configuration:
      Letter (8.5 in x 11 in)
      Portrait
      Style Sheet: coreldrw.cdt
      Corel Presentation Data 1.0 Present
   Number of Objects:  111
   No KeyWords
   No Notes

The second program worth checking out is Font Look Up (FLU).  This one's
a new Austrian shareware app.  It just popped up in Corel's CompuServe
(APP) forum utility library less than two weeks ago.  FLU works in
conjunction with Ares FontMinder 3.

I have not had the opportunity to test FLU, but it sounds like a good
thing for shops that move tons of fonts around with FontMinder.

FLU is 30-day time out shareware.  Upon registration, the developer will
deliver by snail or email.

Cheers,

Dan Gray
PrePRESS Main Street -->>http://www.prepress.pps.com

2. Messages over TCP/IP

3. Importing an EPS file in Corel Draw v 8

4. Canon BJC-1000 trouble

5. .pdf from Corel Draw 6, problems printing

6. Go Drive Info (long)

7. Problems with Corel Draw preparing artwork for commercial printing

8. comp.lang.objective-c FAQ, part 2/3: ClassWare Listing

9. Corel Draw 7.0 - any known problems?

10. HP DESKJET 855C - PROBLEM PRINTING COREL DRAW VERSION 2

11. Transverter Pro info (Corel EPS problems... one possible solution)

12. Importing Color Separated EPS from Corel 4 into Quark: Problem!

13. Corel/Framemaker-EPS-Problem