Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Post by Paul Nog » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:51:30

Subject line pretty much says it. I've managed to figure out a flimsy way of
doing lots of these by superscripting the numerator and subscripting the
denominator and placing a backslash in between but it's unprofessional.
What's the proper way of doing this on a Mac as I can't find fractions in
Key Caps at all.

TIA,
Paul

Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Post by Andreas Prilo » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 04:10:01

> Subject line pretty much says it.

No it doesn't. Please include your question in the _body_ of your
message, too!

Quote:> I've managed to figure out a flimsy way of
> doing lots of these by superscripting the numerator and subscripting the

                ^^^^^
Quote:> denominator and placing a backslash in between but it's unprofessional.
> What's the proper way of doing this on a Mac

                                 ^^^^
Adobe InDesign lets you access all glyphs in PostScript and TrueType
fonts - even those outside the MacRoman character set.

Quote:> as I can't find fractions in Key Caps at all.

The MacRoman character set has no fractions.
 <http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/iso8859/iso8859-mac.html>

--
Top posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Post by William F. Ada » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 04:22:39

You can either switch to InDesign,
use a specialized expert or fractions font,
use an equation editor (i.e., MathSetter from Blue Sky Research)
or, if you're dead-set on faking it in Quark, get whatever the XTension,
``Thing-a-ma-bob'' is called these days (Type Tricks? It's from Quark, and can
either be d/l'd from their site, or comes w/ Quark) and select the source for
the fraction (e.g., 1/2), and do Style | Type Style | Make Fraction

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams

Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Post by Derek Tre » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:27:12

Quote:>You can either switch to InDesign,
>use a specialized expert or fractions font,
>use an equation editor (i.e., MathSetter from Blue Sky Research)
>or, if you're dead-set on faking it in Quark, get whatever the XTension,
>``Thing-a-ma-bob'' is called these days (Type Tricks? It's from Quark, and can
>either be d/l'd from their site, or comes w/ Quark) and select the source for
>the fraction (e.g., 1/2), and do Style | Type Style | Make Fraction

...Or you could use Quirk on the PC which provides access to the most
common factions in T1 fonts via Alt-key combinations:
? = alt+0189; ? = alt+0188; ?  = alt 0190, etc., <G>
--
Del Tree

Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Post by Paul Nog » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 07:02:38

> >You can either switch to InDesign,
> >use a specialized expert or fractions font,
> >use an equation editor (i.e., MathSetter from Blue Sky Research)
> >or, if you're dead-set on faking it in Quark, get whatever the XTension,
> >``Thing-a-ma-bob'' is called these days (Type Tricks? It's from Quark,
and can
> >either be d/l'd from their site, or comes w/ Quark) and select the source
for
> >the fraction (e.g., 1/2), and do Style | Type Style | Make Fraction

> ...Or you could use Quirk on the PC which provides access to the most
> common factions in T1 fonts via Alt-key combinations:
> ? = alt+0189; ? = alt+0188; ?  = alt 0190, etc., <G>
> --
> Del Tree

If I were to do that though, the fractions wouldn't show up if transferred
to a Mac would they? The job has to eventually be output from a Mac so I
need Mac only solutions.

Thanks anyway

Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Post by Odysseu » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 11:32:20

> > ...Or you could use Quirk on the PC which provides access to the most
> > common factions in T1 fonts via Alt-key combinations:
> > * = alt+0189; * = alt+0188; *  = alt 0190, etc., <G>

> If I were to do that though, the fractions wouldn't show up if transferred
> to a Mac would they? The job has to eventually be output from a Mac so I
> need Mac only solutions.

You're right, they wouldn't. I use the XTension William referred to
quite a bit; I think it's indeed called "Type Tricks" these days (and
it does more than just fractions). To format fractions it does
essentially the same thing that you're doing manually now (although
it actually changes the point size and applies baseline shifts rather
than using super- and subscripts), mainly automating the process.
Once you've set preferences for the horizontal and vertical
positioning &c. you can format any selected text containing numerals
and a slash pretty easily.

A couple of caveats in using it: for one thing the results aren't
'live', meaning that if you make a global change in point sizes
you'll have to go back in, 'zero out' the size and position changes,
then reapply the effect; for another, there's a bug that changes the
virgule character to the font *following* the selected text, which I
discovered from using it on fractions of an inch, where I'd used the
Symbol font's inch character -- the workaround is to insert a space
before the mark, make the fraction, then delete the space.

Fraction fonts are available to match a few of the more common text
fonts, like Helvetica -- see

<http://tinyurl.com/70ly> for example

-- but all but perhaps a few of the most common fraction glyphs (like
those available in standard Windows fonts) still have to be made from
separate elements when using such a font.

--Odysseus