ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems

Post by Tammy Hockin » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:15:23

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've posted here... and yet again I'm having problems
with Acrobat Distiller.

All I'm trying to do is create a simple PDF from an EPS originating from
Quark; it's a colour eps (cmyk) and font included with FontIncluder2. It
has ONE font in it - Gill Sans (regular, bold and italic). I try to PDF
it in Distiller 3.0 and it errors, telling me it can't find the fonts
Symbol or AdobeSerifMM, neither of which have anything to do with the
document.

I tried another test eps with just one line of helvetica text, nothing
else, it gives me the same message. I've tried turning Distiller's font
including off, it has no effect. Tried ASCII and Binary eps-ing.
Nothing.

Any hints folks?

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
"This is your only chance in life to legally run * and free, so go

ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems

Post by Robotma » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:39:46

Are you on mac or pc?

On mac you could activate the fonts in suitcase and try again?

On pc reinstall the acrobat distiller - i think it has some fonts within the
directory when installed which it could be looking for...

....worth a try anyway.

All the best of luck, Robotman.

> Hi guys,

> Been a while since I've posted here... and yet again I'm having problems
> with Acrobat Distiller.

> All I'm trying to do is create a simple PDF from an EPS originating from
> Quark; it's a colour eps (cmyk) and font included with FontIncluder2. It
> has ONE font in it - Gill Sans (regular, bold and italic). I try to PDF
> it in Distiller 3.0 and it errors, telling me it can't find the fonts
> Symbol or AdobeSerifMM, neither of which have anything to do with the
> document.

> I tried another test eps with just one line of helvetica text, nothing
> else, it gives me the same message. I've tried turning Distiller's font
> including off, it has no effect. Tried ASCII and Binary eps-ing.
> Nothing.

> Any hints folks?

> --

> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> "This is your only chance in life to legally run * and free, so go
> for it. Evade capture for as long as possible."
> - Matt Groening on early childhood

ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems

Post by Jono Moor » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:49:54

Try writing postscript instead of an eps.

--
Jono Moore
Prepress Department - Hillside Printing & Copy Centre

ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems

Post by RSD9 » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:00:42

Re: "... Symbol or AdobeSerifMM ..."

Yes, Symbol and AdobeSerifMM are two of the fonts installed in the (private)
Distiller Font Directory when Acrobat is installed. For some reason. Acrobat
wants to see those fonts, even if they are not used in the document.

A simple solution: Do as Jono has posted (below). Write a PostScript file
from Quark, using the "Acrobat Distiller" printer installed by Acrobat. Then
distill that PostScript file using Acrobat Distiller. This almost always
works "better" than trying to Distill an EPS file.

> Hi guys,

> Been a while since I've posted here... and yet again I'm having problems
> with Acrobat Distiller.

> All I'm trying to do is create a simple PDF from an EPS originating from
> Quark; it's a colour eps (cmyk) and font included with FontIncluder2. It
> has ONE font in it - Gill Sans (regular, bold and italic). I try to PDF
> it in Distiller 3.0 and it errors, telling me it can't find the fonts
> Symbol or AdobeSerifMM, neither of which have anything to do with the
> document.

> I tried another test eps with just one line of helvetica text, nothing
> else, it gives me the same message. I've tried turning Distiller's font
> including off, it has no effect. Tried ASCII and Binary eps-ing.
> Nothing.

> Any hints folks?

> --

> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> "This is your only chance in life to legally run * and free, so go
> for it. Evade capture for as long as possible."
> - Matt Groening on early childhood

ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems

Post by Tammy Hockin » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:18:52

Thanks for the tips guys... nice to know there's such a wealth of knowledge
available here :)

I tried the .ps file option but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I'm on a
PC and I'm using Quark 3.32. The only Acrobat  options I can see in my printer
list are:

Acrobat PDFWriter on LPT1
and
Distiller Assistant v3.01 on \DISTASST.PS

The only time I get a prompt to print a file is with the PDFWriter option, but
this creates a direct PDF which looks very fuzzy (do I have my settings wrong?).
I thought I would have to use the Distiller Asst. to create a .ps file to then
distill, but as I said, I can't seem to print it to a file - it just prints like
it would to the printer.

Any other suggestions?

> Re: "... Symbol or AdobeSerifMM ..."

> Yes, Symbol and AdobeSerifMM are two of the fonts installed in the (private)
> Distiller Font Directory when Acrobat is installed. For some reason. Acrobat
> wants to see those fonts, even if they are not used in the document.

> A simple solution: Do as Jono has posted (below). Write a PostScript file
> from Quark, using the "Acrobat Distiller" printer installed by Acrobat. Then
> distill that PostScript file using Acrobat Distiller. This almost always
> works "better" than trying to Distill an EPS file.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
"This is your only chance in life to legally run * and free, so go for it.
Evade capture for as long as possible."
- Matt Groening on early childhood

ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems

Post by Del Tre » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:01:30

Quote:>Thanks for the tips guys... nice to know there's such a wealth of knowledge
>available here :)

>I tried the .ps file option but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I'm on a
>PC and I'm using Quark 3.32. The only Acrobat  options I can see in my printer
>list are:

>Acrobat PDFWriter on LPT1
>and
>Distiller Assistant v3.01 on \DISTASST.PS

>The only time I get a prompt to print a file is with the PDFWriter option, but
>this creates a direct PDF which looks very fuzzy (do I have my settings wrong?).
>I thought I would have to use the Distiller Asst. to create a .ps file to then
>distill, but as I said, I can't seem to print it to a file - it just prints like
>it would to the printer.
>Any other suggestions?

Yes, Jono is not quite right.

Adobe SerMM and Adobe SanMM are *REQUIRED* multiple master fonts
installed by Adobe Type Manager and are needed in order for distiller to
work properly.

As far as I can make out your problems all stem from an incomplete or
corrupted installation of Acrobat Distiller and/or ATM.

If you are using Type1 fonts you should be using Adobe Type Manager
DeLuxe and ATM *needs* these fonts in order to work with Acrobat
Distiller. I suspect that if you re-install *both* ATM and the *full*
Acrobat Exchange app (which includes Distiller) all will be well.

From memory the Distiller 3.01 installation was pretty flakey inasmuch
as it installed both PDFWriter (which is useless for prepress) and
Distiller Assistant - which is anything but - and should be binned.

You *should* have the Distiller Printer in your Windows Printers folder.
Along with "PDFWriter" - which, as I said, can be deleted as it serves
no useful purpose. The fact that you do not see an option to print to
"Distiller" within Quirk suggests that there is no "Distiller Printer"
in your Windows printers folder. If that's the case you will need to re-
install Acrobat Exchange. Once you've done that right-clicking the
Distiller Printer in your Windows Printers folder and then clicking the
"details" tab should show that it is connected to "C:\Adobe\Acrobat
3.0\PDF Output\*.pdf  (PDF Port)" or something similar - *NOT* LPT1
which is the physical printer port.
This pathname is important because the Distiller Printer works by
creating a postscript document from the spool file Quirk sends to
Acrobat which the distiller app then converts into PDF and dumps into
the PDF output folder, unless you specify a different location.

If Acrobat is installed *correctly* the "Distiller" option should appear
in Quirk's printer dialog boxes though I confess my memory of Quirk 3x
printer settings is becoming dim as we haven't used it for well over 2
years...

I hope that's of some help.

--
Del Tree

Post by Aandi Inst » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:49:22

>All I'm trying to do is create a simple PDF from an EPS originating from
>Quark; it's a colour eps (cmyk) and font included with FontIncluder2. It
>has ONE font in it - Gill Sans (regular, bold and italic). I try to PDF
>it in Distiller 3.0 and it errors, telling me it can't find the fonts
>Symbol or AdobeSerifMM, neither of which have anything to do with the
>document.

You need them both to make Distiller work, AND they come with
Distiller. So try reinstalling. Never move Distiller or "manage" its
font folder.

1. Streaks with 'gradients' and custom font problem - Optimising for Reader 3.0 - using Distiller 4.0

Hi everyone,

I am having 2 problems with creating pdf files from indesign 1.0
specifically optimised for reader 3.0

1. Streaks (otherwise known as lines or bands) along the side of my
text that has been given a gradient
see an example here: http://www.noggon.com/p2/streak.gif (<10k)

2. Custom Font not showing up
see an example here: http://www.noggon.com/p2/whereismyfont.gif (<10k)

I have ensured that the distiller is embedding all fonts and I have
taken any relevant ones out of the 'never embed' list. Optimised for
4.0 causes none of these problems!

I tried using the PDF writer but had a strange conversion happen to
some of my text - it turned into blocky images (really weird, it
seemed to be fixed by moving the text around, to try and fix that I
even tried to recreate the same text. The text is un-selectable so I
thought it might have been changed to images. Ironically the other 2
problems above were fixed!
An example of this is here:
http://www.noggon.com/p2/strangeblockytext.gif (<10k)

On both of the above I tried Acrobat reader version 5 - no luck still
looks bad (must be the distiller or indesign!)

Any help appreciated.

Scott

My details:
Creating using Distiller 4.0 0312
Viewing using Acrobat Reader 3.0 (worse in version 5!)
Creating using Indesign 1.0
Platform: Windows 98 4.10.1998

2. How to make endnotes

3. Font and other errors in Distiller 3.0

4. A new Apple II Newsletter

5. Font looked better with distiller 3.0 than 4.0

6. How do I share a Cable Modem?????

7. Embedding TrueType fonts with Distiller 3.0

8. ANYBODY NEED WORK AS A MUSICIAN?

9. Distiller 2.0-->Acrobat 3.0 problems

10. Problem with Distiller 3.0 on Windows 3.1

11. Problems with national characters and Distiller 3.0

12. Distiller 3.0 Problem: Jittered images

13. Acrobat Distiller 3.0 problems, help?