Scitex Shops Pricing Structure

Post by Jeff A. Harre » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Our shop recently invested in a Scitex prepress system: scanner, proofer,
imagesetter, the works. We're trying to build a competitive pricing
structure based on the new equipment, but we're finding that our old
prices reflected our old workflow; they're no longer really valid prices.

I'm trying to gather information about what other shops are charging for
different services: film output, Iris proofs, color separations,
halftones, linework scans.

We've had several suggestions on which I'd also like to hear opinions.
Right now we're charging for film output based on size: letter, legal, A4,
A3, whatever. However, as we all know, ripping and plotting a letter-sized
page can take anywhere from five minutes to three hours, based on content.
One suggestion is that, rather than charging solely by the quantity of
film consumed, we charge a flat "ripping fee" for up to [insert number
here] minutes of rip time, then [insert another number here] dollars per
minute thereafter. Is this common practice in the prepress industry?

Please give us as many opinions as you can; we need all the information we
can get. Responses welcome via posting or email.

Thank you.

Jeff Harrell.
   The Lobo Group                      |
   801 Stadium Drive, Suite 104        |     I've got my ideas,
   Arlington, TX, USA 76011            |     and my boss has his.
   (817) 795-7784                      |     Don't confuse the two.
   (817) 795-7792 (FAX)                |

Scitex Shops Pricing Structure

Post by Gary Poyssic » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

There are profitable workflows and not-so-profitable workflows. This is a
tough question to answer without doing an in-depth analysis of your shop,
your workflows, and -- most importantly -- your client base.

Generally speaking you have to first determine what it costs you -- really
costs you -- to walk a "typical" project through your shop. Start with a
SOLID preflight program and you will be ahead of the game.

Next analyze the types of clients you have now and the types of clients
you want to seek as a part of your future expansion plans. Analyze the
type of work that they do and map various workflows that will allow for
efficient processing of the work profile. From there you should be able to
establish a baseline cost figure from which you can extrapolate valid
pricing points.

Next, train, train, train. In the words of Zig Zigler, The only thing
worse than training your staff and having them leave is not training them
and having them stay. I am constantly amazed at the lack of efficient
operation on Scitex equipment. Mouse clicks count, and the less of them
your employees are executing the more money you make.

Not being a huge fan of proprietary workflows (and monolithic equipment
providers) I would say that the more your system costs to lease/purchase
and support/maintain, the more it costs to produce work.

Scitex Shops Pricing Structure

Post by Alex Schub » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Our shop recently invested in a Scitex prepress system: scanner, proofer,
> imagesetter, the works. We're trying to build a competitive pricing
> structure based on the new equipment, but we're finding that our old
> prices reflected our old workflow; they're no longer really valid prices.

> I'm trying to gather information about what other shops are charging for
> different services: film output, Iris proofs, color separations,
> halftones, linework scans.

> We've had several suggestions on which I'd also like to hear opinions.
> Right now we're charging for film output based on size: letter, legal, A4,
> A3, whatever. However, as we all know, ripping and plotting a letter-sized
> page can take anywhere from five minutes to three hours, based on content.
> One suggestion is that, rather than charging solely by the quantity of
> film consumed, we charge a flat "ripping fee" for up to [insert number
> here] minutes of rip time, then [insert another number here] dollars per
> minute thereafter. Is this common practice in the prepress industry?

> Please give us as many opinions as you can; we need all the information we
> can get. Responses welcome via posting or email.

> Thank you.

> Jeff Harrell.
>    The Lobo Group                      |
>    801 Stadium Drive, Suite 104        |     I've got my ideas,
>    Arlington, TX, USA 76011            |     and my boss has his.
>    (817) 795-7784                      |     Don't confuse the two.
>    (817) 795-7792 (FAX)                |

Just to give you something to go by... My shop charges $300 for a set of
8.5x11 film (no proof) and $225/hour for RIP time on the PS2 or StarPS.

It's rather pricey, but our clients have more money than they know
what do do with...

-- Alex

1. PRICES, PRICES, PRICES for NS/FIP hardware (and Gateway info)

I'm about to purchase hardware to run NS/FIP, and I'm collecting
pricing information.  Does anybody have any advice about finding
a solid hardware platform suitable for developing on NS/FIP that
is a good deal?

The Gateway 66/V in particular looks like a good deal, so I called
Gateway today to get pricing information.  It looks like a solid
Nexstep system can be had for around $4000 (without nexstep).

If anybody mails me with other good nexstep hardware prices, I
will post a summary.

------

Gateway Nextstep Developer w/ Color System:

Gateway 66/V base system
includes 16MB ram, 340MB HD,
ATI Ultra Pro (VESA) w/ 1MB,
Phillips CM205 CD ROM drive
Crystalscan 1472 Monitor
and free software that i won't use.
                base price ---------->    $2995

Recommended upgrades for Nextstep
color/developer:

Remove 8MB ram at $35/MB                   -280 (removing 2 4MB simms)
Add 16MB ram at $45/MB                      720 (adding 1 16MB simm)
(total 24MB RAM)
Upgrade to 2MB on the video card             90
Upgrade to 424MB Western Digital IDE HD      60
Substitute Sony multisession CD                 no charge
                                         ------
Basic nextstep color/developer system      3585

Other upgrades:

Substitute Seagate 500MB HD
(includes the Ultrastor 34 (VESA)           -60
Fast SCSI controller)                      +560
Upgrade to Nanao 550i 17" monitor           795
Tower case upgrade                          100
Gateway 14.4K internal modem                195
                                         ------
Total price (before tax+shipping)          5175

------

I'm trying to find out if the Ultrastor SCSI card is supported by
Nextstep.  It sits on the VESA bus and it is a real performer,
doubling transfer rates according to one recent review.

I have also heard that the CD ROM drive in the Gateway cannot
be used to install Nextstep.  I would like to also find out if
this is true.

David

2. ATO

3. Seeking vxWorks pricing structure

4. aCC, Template inheritance error

5. structured && non-structured

6. Lantastic/Z Dos Box under OS/2

7. Structures in Structure

8. Verify a form is loaded

9. Reference to Structure w/i Structure

10. Is there some way of storing conflicting data structures in a single structure/array/???

11. Finding a structure in a structure

12. Array structure--in a structure