Making fractions with Quark

Post by John » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:30:08

How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?  (Not dingbats.)

Making fractions with Quark

Post by Doyle Yode » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:51:34

Try this

http://www.quark.com/support/downloads/details.jsp?idx=393

Doyle

Quote:> How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?  (Not dingbats.)

> --

Making fractions with Quark

Post by William F. Ada » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:36:24

Betterbird asked:

Quote:>How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?

One doesn't, not real ones, not nice ones as the typeface designer intended.

Purchase the matching expert set to get the superiors and inferiors and
virgule/solidus for setting nice fractions. Also, there are specialty fraction
fonts for Times, Helvetica and Stone Print (the latter included with
FreeHand...)

Quote:>(Not dingbats.)

If one must though, install ``Son of Bob'', or ``Type Tricks'' (the XTension
name varies with Quark version)  then set and select the text for the fraction,
e.g. 1/2 and use the ``make fraction'' command which gets added to Style | Type
Style...
--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams

Post by Del Tre » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:06:45

Quote:>How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?  (Not dingbats.)

It's a pain, more so on the Mac (which is presumably what you're using?)
than on the PC. On the PC common fractions like ?, ?, ?, can be set
using simple alt+mumeric combinations (0188,0189,0190). On the Mac there
are various xtensions which allow you to "make fractions" which William
Adams mentioned in his reply. These solutions work, but they are not
ideal for the typographical purist!

--
Del Tree

Making fractions with Quark

Post by William F. Ada » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:14:26

deltree said:

Quote:>On the PC common fractions like ?, ?, ?, can be set
>using simple alt+mumeric combinations (0188,0189,0190)

Using All Chars for Windows, these get shorter:

On a Mac, if one wished, one could re-encode a custom font to make them
accessible, (did that for one job when I was in college, most expensive three
sheets of film/fractions I've ever set) but this'd have to be carefully done to
preclude munging things.

William

--

Post by Gard's Quality Printin » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:27:30

wrote on 2/28/01 3:30 PM:

Quote:> How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?  (Not dingbats.)

> --

Use Helvetica Fractions font....

Making fractions with Quark

Post by Jono Moor » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:10:44

You can also use the super/subscript settings to make decent-ish fractions.

--
Jono Moore
Prepress Department - Hillside Printing & Copy Centre

Post by Geoff Yu » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 02:25:05

> How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?  (Not dingbats.)

> --

I use the superior script text formating built into quark for the top
number and then a slash character, then I use both superior and subscript
on the bottom number. I will usually bold the numbers to make up for the
weight loss. This will no doubt get flames from many typographers =)

--
-Geoff
M2 Communications

Post by Spark » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:25:46

> > How can I create fractions using regular text fonts?  (Not dingbats.)

Try downloading the TypeTricks Xtension from Quark. That has a Make
Fraction function

Gav

1. Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Subject line pretty much says it. I've managed to figure out a flimsy way of
doing lots of these by superscripting the numerator and subscripting the
denominator and placing a backslash in between but it's unprofessional.
What's the proper way of doing this on a Mac as I can't find fractions in
Key Caps at all.

TIA,
Paul

2. Gripe about Eudora 4.0

3. Fractions, Resedit & Quark

4. free software

5. Quark Mac Make Fraction Hot Key?

6. SSH2 client hangs to OpenSSH 2.3.0

7. Making PDF files from Quark XPress Documents

8. ADSP 2181 and TP3070

9. Some elements disappear in PDF made with Quark

10. problem making pdfs on a PC from Mac Quark files

11. Elements made in Quark vanish in PDF

12. Making loose or scatter proofs w/Quark

13. making booklets in quark